A Simple Request

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I've been on the site a while, haven't I? I mean, I haven't made much of an impact, but I feel like most of the population of AVPU likes me. I think its high time I contributed. More specifically, to the RP section. I would like to share my opinions on how the roleplay system works, where it fails, and what I think should be done about this.

To start things off, I love this site. When my good friend P13 recommended this site to me, I fell in love. I met amazing people, friends I'd never had made if I was a good boy and din't talk to strangers on the internet. All I can say is that I'm here for a while, and I love this place.

BUT

I don't love how RP's have gone. I RP'd terribly in PoN, and our current RP was fucked up by me too, partially due to my absence after screwing with the plot (mainly due to a project for this site). One thing I've noticed is that the plot of the RP's is rather lacking. Not that that's a bad thing- but an influx of new members have turned creative freedom into a creative mess. I think that RP's should have stricter, more fleshed out plots. This lowers confusion, and will, according to myself and others, stop the horrid ending that PoN had (or lack thereof). I also think that mods should be more active in addressing bad Rping/Godmodding/Fucking up the plot. I know you guys put a lot of effort- but I honestly believe that when it comes to being able to read the post you guys can be far too lenient.

Also, required character bios.

This would allow characters to be more fleshed out, less godmoddy, and overall easier to interact with and use. I realize this forces forum members to put more effort into entering an RP, but, on the bright side, they have to put effort into the RP. This would allow multiple characters to be created and for forum members to easily see others characters backgrounds.

As for a more controversial point, remove species/clan requirements. I realize you probably are against this, and I understand why. I just feel like it would be good for members to say "Hey, I wanna RP a Pred instead of a Xeno. Cool." Perhaps for a few RP's rather than all? This would also help fix the issues with Alpha Draconis having 2 active members, which is quite the issue for Pete and P13.

Now, on to the actual request. I would like to write the plot of the next RP. I have discussed this with Bloo, as a majority of the plot I've created thusfar is based on Neon Genesis Evangelion, a 1995 anime that was controversial, had a plot that fits with Alien (although much of the canon is changed if I do this). Bloo's Insturmentality is also heavily influenced by NGE, as even the name originates from it. If you mods (and regular people too!) would appreciate me writing a more fleshed out and controlled RP, in an experiment to avoid the absurdity that has plagued RP's in the past, I can type it all up for you. I just don't want to write something if the answer is absolutely no.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

"You have my Sword" to put it to a quote.

I fully support this, I personally know this type of character profile system you are purposing works smoothly, as I have been moderating a different RP forum that uses that type of thing, and it is nearly as old as this one with no problems in it. And, you know, I'd love to have a Xeno in addition to just my Pred. As for the plots, I would like to see yours actualized as I haven't really felt enthralled or connected to the two RP's I have participated in on here, I bet you've got gem hidden up your sleeve.

One question though, how character driven is your plot? PoN and the PRIME TIME just kind of felt(or feel in the case of PRIME TIME since it is still ongoing) like there was a plot hiding somewhere and our characters were just kind of plopped in the middle of it with no rhyme or reason to it. As I mentioned, I have experience with the system type of Character Profiles(and required Bios, too), so if I can help in any way just give me a holler.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I dunno if I said this already, but I think the only problem with this idea is that it relies a lot on participation, which isn't always the best around here (especially since a lot of members here are students, I think??).

But anyway, good ideas here. I like the idea of having a basic plot outline for RPG stories. There can still be a lot of room for creativity as long as we eventually go from point A to point B. The outline doesn't even have to be really strict... like:

A - Predators land / Human ship begins crashing, they escape in pods before it hits land / Xenos awaken
B - Predators stalk humans / humans travel to and get to ship / Xenos stalk Predators
C - Fighting is allowed to begin, Humans have to recover McGuffin / Predators try to stop them / some Xenos wait near the area of the McGuffin
D - etc
E - Ending

A lot of stuff can happen in between the lines.

Thanks for your support guys!

My RP will be heavily character based (its no slice of life, but still) mainly because requiring bios makes characters fit the story and become part of it, rather than an opposition of it.

Also, Bloo, I realize your concern man. I just think that a more organized RP will keep rolling far better than a free form one.

So, another question- how would you guys feel if I asked some Xeno's to play as humans/preds? We have a total of 2 humans, and writing a Xenomorph (Angel) would be the hardest thing as there is much potential for godmodding. I'm also sure that you guys realize that that's an issue with previous RP's.

If some more people could comment, that would be great. Just tell me if you want this or not.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I disagree with all of your propositions for the following reasons:

- I didn't read.
- I don't care.

Would you like me to comment more, or would you like to wait until people start commenting because they care?

Also, the title is misleading. It looks like a pretty elaborate request.

DeathWraith don't be a meanie.

Also the request itself is rather simple.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Well, a good way to prevent godmodding is to have standard requirements, like a Roleplay sample that has to be made for the specific character to help assess the individuals skills and prevent them from playing a character they just aren't capable of portraying reasonably.

But that also brings out the issue of barring some people from playing some species, which don't want. The (pre-existing)rank system helps with this, though, since the power levels of a youngblood wont really hold up against a Queen for example. Though, our kill six post kill system puts everyone on fairly even footing, so I guess that makes my point sort of irrelevant?

@DW: if you don't care, then why did you waste the finger energy typing something in response to something you don't care about and didn't bother to read? Also, if you didn't read it, then how do you know it isn't a simple request? :P

@SR: Mate don't hijack the thread like that. Just because you ask in a snide tone, it doesn't mean I won't explain it to you. And then the thread is derailed and ruined.

Yeah, having roleplay samples being required was probably what I was gonna end up as. I'm actually writing a character atm to show people what I want it to look like.

@DW As if you didn't already... I'm fine with you not caring, but seriously? That's pretty rude. I'm putting effort into this and only two people have legitimately responded.

Yes, I am a very rude person. Are you about to get over it, or are you going to discuss it in this thread about the very important issue you brought up? Because I seriously suggest you don't go with the second option unless you're really trying hard to prove that your issue isn't all that important.

So, someone post. DeathDrop commented in Off topic and not here :/

Argonian, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Sorry, man. I had been occupied, and haven't been able to post cx

I think that your proposal is interesting. I like the idea on the character profiles, because I think that would help everyone to know more about other characters. (Besides, I like reading bios).
I was trying to do my own character bio, but, I wanted your opinion. (Or yours, in case someone else wants to read what I have.) I want to add more things, by the way. (Like, a photo of how my character looks) I just haven't had the time.

However, I must say that I like how rp's are so open. But, again, you are right about how people can forget about the rp, and don't put effort to it. (Which I must say I did in the Litany of Fire rp, and, I am very ashamed of it.)

I'm curious about the Neon Genesis Evangelion crossover, however. It does seems interesting. I only need you to explain how you were thinking the roleplay could go, and explain a bit about what Neon Genesis Evangelion is about, so that we don't get lost.

Don't worry- I will post a megapost as soon as Firehunter, DD, Pete, or someone else gives me the ok. I'll give yall a little rundown so you can know what to expect.

Eons in the past, the first ancestral race, the first advanced race, began to fall. As they realized their imminent doom, they created seven seeds of life- vessels to spread sentient life through the cosmos. These seeds come in two forms; Fruits of Knowlege, creating society's who naturally use science to dominate thier worlds, and Seeds of Power, which spawned inhuman beasts of vast might. These seeds spread life throughout the cosmos. No two seeds could land on a planet- this would create a race that rivaled the power of the ancestral race itself. To safeguard this, each seeds vessel (or "moon") was equipped with a mechanism to shut down the seed should two ever land on the same planet.

However, by freak accident, the seed Lilith, the mother of humanity, crash landed on planet Earth of the system Sol, damaging her Moon beyond repair. However, another Seed had already landed- spread transforming the planet into a strange world to be inhabited by Xenomorphs, a race of Power. To stop the mixture of the seeds, the Seed Adam deactivated itself, but still lies on Earth, dormant.

On another world, the fate of Yatuja is in jeopardy. As thier Seed, Gabriel, dies, they search for new worlds to call home. On finding Earth, they attempt to use Lilith, the Human's seed, to terraform the Earth into a world like theirs, in an effort to save thier race. To do so, the Predators manipulate a young man, named Weyland, into searching for Lilith, and causing an impact- a catastrophic event that under the Yatuja's influence could reshape the world. However, the Yatuja are still a young and foolish race. In thier haste to save thier world, they preform an impact in Adam- destroying much of the Earth and letting lose a race that calls Earth its own.

And to combat this, the humans build the Evangalions.

(This is the tip of the iceberg, nowhere near the whole thing)

In this RP,there is a "tier list" of bios that require increasing amounts of work.

From easiest to hardest, here they are.

Xenomorph Minor (Facehugger, Drone, Warrior, Queen, ECT.)
Human
Yatuja (Pred)
Human (Eva Pilot)
Angel (Xenomorph Major) (Revealed later)

By the way, P13 started his bio I think. I suggest you do to Bloo- you having Eva knowledge makes it easier to make you important to the plot.)

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

(My apologies for not posting sooner, I haven't been around much of late) Basing the storyline so directly off another franchise (particularly one as "different" as NGE) seems like it might create some lockout for people unfamiliar with the source material, and it also seems like it would be too "off-model" for AVP...

Then again, we're in the middle of an RP in which all our characters were dumped on an intergalactic reality show, so maybe "off-model" is what's needed right now.

Some of the other stuff I'm less iffy about, though. I particularly like the idea of bringing narrative into it more, and required bios are a good idea (though I'm not certain how we would enforce it).

If you're that interested in writing the next one, I'd certainly be willing to give you a shot.

Thank you!!!

I picked NGE mainly because of its writing, being a brilliant example of symbolism and a game changer in message. Its themes are similar enough to Alien that I can create a story that is not only cohesive, but moving.

As for your concerns on it being confusing as only Bloo has watched NGE, I agree. Its a risk. It depends on my writing and how good I am at explanations- I should do well.

Also I recommend all members of this site watch NGE, weather you like anime or not. Its considered to be the pinnacle of anime and people are still analyzing its meaning today.

I suggest everyone watch this to get an idea of how Eva is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetd5iAS4_Q

Also I deleted words like a moron so fuck me.

I like how the theme goes. I think that it has potential.

Don't worry, I will see the anime, so that I know how the story goes.

GOOD.
Just a warning- watch a movie called End of Eva after watching the show. Please.

Ok, I will. But, may I ask why?

NGE ran out of money at its end. End if Eva is the "actual" ending.