TDN, Undefined, 14 years ago

You know reading through all this I've always wondered how people get the impression that Predators have greater strength than Aliens? Aliens are a race capable of breaking through steel doors, have a grip that resists the pull of the vacuum of space and as Grid have shown, being able to lift and throw Predators with their tails. The most impressive feat of strength Predators have shown is being able to lift Arnold by the neck.

And cleticyautja, you're reminding me one of the main reasons why I've never liked the comics and novels, the whole Predator honor code thing. None of the movies ever show us that Predator even have any sort of honor, and now thanks to it Predators have become some sort of space samurai instead of hunters they're supposed to be.

DeathWraith, Undefined, 14 years ago

"None of the movies ever show us that Predator even have any sort of honor"

They don't attack children, they don't kill pregnant women no matter if armed, Danny wouldn't have been killed if he hadn't provoked the pred.

shadowatching, Undefined, 14 years ago

WOW, something i actually agree DW on.

They don't even attack a enemy that poses the same..strength as they do when fighting a fair fight. IE When danny beat one of the predators down, honorably....if they have no honor, they would have killed danny all of them at once..

TDN, for that...i shame you, FOR SHAME! you make me saddened like a puppy. :(

cleticyautja, Undefined, 14 years ago

the preds in a movie are shown as hunters,so basicly there steathly.

the preds in predator and predator 2 didnt smash the doors open like arnie and shoot everyone

and in the predators trailer you can see a pred making dents in an unknown alloy.

i know ppl dont want to consider avp-r cannon but wolf did lift two aliens by the neck,stepped on an aliens head and crushed it with his feet.(the only thing good about the movie was the pred and alien action scenes).

DeathWraith: I see those as more in the lines of what Arnold said in Predator, "No Sport". In other words, it wasn't because of some sort of honor code, but because it wasn't fun for it. Predators are creatures who takes pleasure and thrill from their hunts, and there's no thrill in hunting weak, ill, or unarmed targets. The moment they see a target that can fight back, they kill indiscriminately.

cleticyautja: Whether AVPR is canon or not, I'll say that the Aliens shown in that movie were far weaker than in any of the previous movies. In Aliens, we see Gorman's pistol shots bouncing off an Alien's exoskeleton. Vasquez was because it was 8 shots point blank, and even after all that it was still moving. In Alien 3, we see the Alien survive tonnes of molten lead (and was moving just fine). In AVP, Grid was fine after being smashed multiple times against stone pillars.

Now these supposed same Aliens in AVPR gets killed small arms fire, punched by Wolf and their head get crushed by its foot (which mind you is nowhere near as heavy as an APC). So yeah, nowhere close.

Well there's one more thing. At the end of Predator 2, the elder of the ship recognized the human's victory over the predator and handed him a trophy for his effort, the let him leave, alive. That is pretty clearly honourable behavior, don't you think?

Shadowwall, Undefined, 14 years ago

Yes I think there behaviour is more like honor then just killing for thrill actually I am sure of it. But your'e opinion can be true

cleticyautja, Undefined, 14 years ago

If a pred has no honor at all why did it bother to disarm its self to fight arnie,Why didnt the pred kill the woman in predator 2 who was armed?

Preds take trophies of ther prey unless they want to start a skull zoo.

preds are capable of builiding spaceships,bio-masks and acid-resistance weaponary. Aliens might change due to its host and queen. Aliens have the most perfect exo-skeleton ever but that dose not mean that it can be crushed.We have never seen a pred struggle to open a door because as i said before they are hunters and take stealthier approaches.If the next predator movie shows a pred at full strenght then it shall be settled.

Okay any other stuff other than just preds we can take about in here.

DeathWraith: Well by then Harrigan wasn't armed. And I've never stated that they were creatures who can't learn to respect their adversaries. Especially in this case, a human that was able to kill one of their own. So to me it was out of respect, not some honor code.

cleticyautja: The case with Arnold? Like I said above, respect for a foe who had outsmarted him before. And part of it was also due to the Predator's own arrogance and its desire for thrills (more fun fighting hand to hand). The armed woman in Predator 2? She was pregnant, clearly in a weak condition. So once again "No Sport".

And it's true that we've never seen the limit of a Predator's strength, but we haven't seen an Alien's limit either. But even with all that, isn't it kind of a stretch to assume a Predator can exert enough force to crush an exoskeleton that resisted small arms fire, and tonnes of molten lead? And once again, the Xenos in Aliens resisted pistol ammo, while the Xenos in AVPR were easily killed by it.

From wikipedia, for lack of a better source among the first three google results:

"Honour or Honor (from the Latin word honor, honoris) is the evaluation of a person's trustworthiness and social status based on that individual's espousals and actions. Honour is deemed exactly what determines a person's character: whether or not the person reflects honesty, respect, integrity, or fairness."

If we were in court, i'd say "I rest my case!"

DeathWraith: Alright I'll hand it to you. But then honor in this case is that they have a sense of it, rather than being bounded by some sort of code. Not much of a difference, but the farther removed they are from being space-samurais, the better.

And just an added thing I kind of want to ask everyone, do you guys prefer Predators to be an honorable warrior/hunter race? Because from what I gather, most prefer them that way.

It's just that for me personally, I much prefer them to be thrill seekers, hunting for pleasure. It made them so much more threatening, more convincing as movie monsters. And turning these devious, cunning hunters into something more akin to space-samurais was one of the worst things they could have done. It was the equivalent of turning Giger's sexual biomechanical beast into an overgrown insect. Both of these things the comics, novels etc are trying so hard to do. And that was one of the reasons I can't stand most EU AVP materials.

Well yeah, i do preffer the space samurai version, because i associate the samurai with discipline, patience and skill. And i like to associate predators with the same thing. I also associate ninjas with indiscriminate quick kills from places you didn't think of checking. Just like aliens. So you can see why i like the idea.

I guess it's because I much prefer these creatures being as far removed from anything of Earth as possible. It helps to create a sense of mystique around them, it makes them a threat you can't understand, an overwhelming force that the human characters have to overcome. It's why the original movies were great.

I mean, even think of it in the context of AVP. What would you rather have:
Devil Trophy Maker/Hunter of Man vs Biomechanical Terror
or
Space Samurais vs Giant Bugs?

WarBlade, Undefined, 13 years ago

Marines suck Predators are better because they can easily kill a marine. That's why a fight between a marine and a Predator only lasts about 6 seconds.

DeathWraith, Undefined, 13 years ago

You are now aware that you are an idiot.

Mebber, Undefined, 13 years ago

Marines suck? You will suck once a marine fills your butt with bullets.

Sorry for the profanity, but i'm pissed off this permanent marines-can't-do-shit-thing.

WarBlade, Undefined, 13 years ago

They do suck and they can't do shit

DeathWraith, Undefined, 13 years ago

You know, they used to give out warnings for acting like a moron (Spoiler: like you're acting now lol).

But then i guess i happened.

AmerthystBlades, Undefined, 13 years ago

One word to describe WarBlade right now:Brainless

IceNeko, Undefined, 13 years ago

Well I can see where this is going.