the_doctor, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Sure, I will seize the opportunity to voice the crappy ideas we had going.

Basically the whole thing came out of Pv2 and myself wanting to take that RPG in a direction that was right out of left field. I mean in the sense of creating a subplot that would correspond with the main plot but also be an experiment in collaborative storytelling. In that regard we never out rightly decided on what the finally reveal was but I had two or three outcomes that I wanted to push for.

As some may have worked out the pregnant human female is actually a synthetic. Playing with some very Blade Runner-esque vibes we were running with the idea that Wayland-Yutani had created Synths that were now much more highly developed. Basically the female synth was intended to be carrying a piece of cargo in her womb. It was my thought that the synth was programmed to not know what it was carrying and be under the assumption that it was human.

Now where it gets a little muddy is what the cargo is. It was most likely going to be an artifact of some kind that carried great power. Power that could end the civil war between the Yautja. The artifact would have been found by the company and recognized for its mythical reputation/being a holy alien relic and therefore possibly have some value as a weapon.

I always saw the artifact as being either a variation on the Prometheus goo that would have tied into the genetic differences between the normal and super preds or the preserved heart of an ancient Elder that both groups worship/gave honor to. The idea with the heart came from something I read ages ago about the Yautja's having a belief in gaining the strength of another by eating their heart. This would mean whoever devoured the heart could effectively embody the Ancient Elder and unite the two or destroy one of them.

I mean at the end of the day what ever the artifact is it's basically a macguffin to get the characters to chase after it so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Anyway that's the gist of it.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Holy fuck, that sounds pretty cool. Shame you never got the chance to develop it.

PREDATORv2, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Holy fuck, that sounds pretty cool

Would you expect anything less from doc and I?

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Wow, that's kinda like what I've got going already. There IS a few differences, though.

Your mention of a civil war of sorts between the Predators and Super Predators is definitely a thing here. One side is called the Seven Headed Dragon clan (based on the biblical legend of the seven headed dragon and its ten thorns), and it's made up of 18 Predators: 7 Elders (the dragon heads), 10 other Predators (the thorns), and Cetanu (the breath of the dragon). Almost all of these Predators are member-owned. I'll explain Cetanu more below.

On the other side is 82 Badbloods, run by 4 former Elders that are based on both the 4 Horsemen, and the 4 Chaos Guardians from Final Fantasy: Lich, Malirith, Tiamat, and Kraken.

"the pregnant human female is actually a synthetic."

Basically the female synth was intended to be carrying a piece of cargo in her womb.

it gets a little muddy is what the cargo is. It was most likely going to be an artifact of some kind that carried great power.

My Companions actually started out being called Companion Synthetics. There was also only one of them, and it was a girl called Shelbea Nguyen who was indeed "pregnant" with the Predator's own Liquid Weapon, which was, at first, unnamed.

Shelbea has since been renamed "Vera Ngo," and the Liquid Weapon is now a silver goo called Medical Mechanica. The Engineer's own black goo is called Miracle Matter. Both of these are human-given names.

Eventually, I created 4 more Synthetics. I wanted to keep the "Pregnancy" bit, so I developed the idea that the Liquid Weapon was split into 5 pieces. I removed the fact that they were visibly pregnant (since there were some male Synths), and replaced that with the fact that their artificial bodies were made from their piece of Medical Mechanica, rather than having been made by humans.

It was my thought that the synth was programmed to not know what it was carrying and be under the assumption that it was human.

This is still prevalent in the most recent draft of the story. However, they're no longer man-made Synthetics, and so "Synthetic" has been dropped from their names. Now they're just called "Companions." Also, there's now 7 of them, rather than just 5.

This is where it gets kind of weird: The Companions actually ARE humans and started out that way. However, like I explained in the last page, they were kidnapped by an Engineer to be used as the Spirits for the Empresses. Their minds were extracted from their bodies and placed into the Empress Shell Bodies. Remember, without a Spirit core, the Shell Bodies act like zombies that don't do much, so they're useless without fuel.

About 900 years before the beginning of the story, your character "purified" these seven Spirits and used Medical Mechanica to create new human bodies for them. They each have a piece of Medical Mechanica in them.

These new bodies weren't exactly real - they only very closely imitated organic material. (This is the same case with Xenomorphs, who are also not technically alive.)

These artificial bodies were also immortal because they were fueled by Medical Mechanica, but they could still be destroyed. If that happens, their piece of Medical Mechanica would escape and enter a random fetus before it's born - which is to say, before it grew a soul. Since these babies' bodies weren't immortal, the Companions would have to switch vessels every time the previous one died, and this has been happening for 900 years. After being reborn so many times, they've forgotten that they're Companions.

This has happened to every single Companion except the girl I mentioned before, Vera, who's very aware of her situation. She's hides the fact that she's a Companion, but it's not because she's scared of the Predators; it's because she's scared of revealing who she was before she turned into a Spirit or Companion.

See, Medical Mechanica created the IDEAL bodies for the Companions. Whatever they wanted to look like, it was done. None of them really changed much, except to be more athletic, taller, have different noses, etc. None of them except Vera, who was born male. This is getting long though, so I'll just explain that another time.

I always saw the artifact as being either a variation on the Prometheus goo that would have tied into the genetic differences between the normal and super preds or the preserved heart of an ancient Elder that both groups worship/gave honor to.

The Predator's liquid weapon, Medical Mechanica, is actually partly made from the special kind of blood that runs in the family of Concrete Hunter.

See, my Predators have different colors of blood with different properties, and you can actually tell what type of Predator the blood came from just by its color. Normal Predators are all green, and they're the most common type. Super Predators range from light green (mid) to dark purple (high) and are rarer. The colors come from the the electromagnetic spectrum, so purples are at the top and red is at the bottom. Again, green blood is actually the most common.

You and a majority of the other player-characters are Green Bloods. Concrete Hunter comes from a "holy" line because he has purple blood, although the only reason it's considered holy is because some of the most legendary Ancient Predators happened to have purple blood. There IS science to back it up, though: the higher you go on the electromagnetic scale, the better quality the blood is. Therefore, Green Bloods live long, Blue Bloods live longer, and Purple Bloods live absurdly long lives. In fact, some of the Ancient Elders are STILL alive.

Green, blue and purple area actually the only normal types there are. Any colors lower than green is considered a mutation because they're extremely, extremely rare. Yellows are mutant Greens, Oranges are mutant Blues, and Reds, the most rare of all, are mutant Purples. And actually, Deathdrop is a Red Blood; his main enemy is the one of the strongest Predators in history: Lich, the purple-blooded God of Death.

Cetanu is the Goddess of Death, because I once read somewhere that he's actually a she, and I like that a lot. Cetanu is also a Red Blood, but since no one's ever seen her bleed, no one knows that.

Other than the weird blood color, the mutant versions of the normal blood color still live just as long as the normal ones, and they're just as healthy. Anyway, that just about explains the genetic differences between the normal Predators and the Super Predators, and why the latter is stronger than (and racist toward) the former.

It also explains why some Green Blood clans (like the Jungle Hunters) are more tribal - it's because they're lower citizens and are treated poorly.

I've never heard of the heart thing, though. I should try to incorporate that somehow.

The artifact would have been found by the company and recognized for its mythical reputation/being a holy alien relic and therefore possibly have some value as a weapon.

Something similar happens in my story.

The humans DO find one of these three Liquid Weapons, but it's not Miracle Matter or Medical Mechanica.

Instead, 1000 years before the beginning of the story, they managed to recreate the red goo that the Spirits are made of by kidnapping a Black Liquid Monster called Death Wraith. There's obviously more to this, but I'll withhold it for now, since it dives into the nature of the Xenomorph's bodies, and the 7 Continental Alpha Males, as well as the origin of the Engineers and their reason for being involved in this story at all.

Anyway, this red goo can create artificial constructs using an advanced form of Hard Light Technology (and some other fake ass phlebotinum, since it's Engineer tech), similar to Medical Mechanica's ability to make nearly-organic materials. The only difference between the liquids is that Medical Mechanica can undo the effects of Miracle Matter (the black goo) because it was designed by The Doctor specifically to combat the Engineers. Otherwise, all three liquids, in their dormant states, take the form of spheres.

The Engineer's version of hard light was reverse-engineered by humans and began to see widespread use. 1000 years later (aka the beginning of the story), hard light is used for almost everything, since it can imitate many kind of materials. Buildings, bullet shells, weapons, street lamps, computer screens, you know name it - it can be replicated with hard light. There are many things that it can't replace, but mundane objects like pens will almost always be hard light.

Of course, because of its potential to threaten humanity, there are many laws against using hard light for just anything, and you have to get licenses, fill out paperwork, etc. There are separate licenses and paperwork for coffee machines, furniture, whatever. This is why the "normal" items of OUR time still exist 1000 years into the future; it's really goddamn frustrating trying to create your own hard light items. Common things like pens are made of hard light because they're created by companies.

Even WHEN you have hard light in your possession, you're restricted to what you're allowed to form with it. When you DO have the clearance to make what you want, it takes skill to get it just right. Remember, with hard light, all you're doing is replacing the material that the product is made out of - you still have to know how the hell a coffee machine even works to be able to make one. So, it's not magic, it's just really weird science.

It was Death Wraith's human character, Xeuss, who made the first serious use of hard light weaponry. He's considered the father of modern Hard Light technology. A few years before the beginning of the story, he developed a combat suit completely made from red goo that appears to be nothing more than a blood-red wetsuit. However, it contains a complex Operating System that links the soldier to the government's network, which is called The Forum. The suit itself, since it's made from a red goo core, can then create weightless battle armor. The fact that hard light doesn't weigh anything is another reason why it's sometimes better to just have a normal item. But in the case of armor, it's a huge advantage.

Because of the restrictive laws placed by the government, there's a limit to what the red goo suit is allowed to create.

Everyone knows about the red goo cores because they're the source of where the hard light comes from, but the fact that the red goo is literally everywhere is a bad, BAD thing for humanity when the main antagonist (an Engineer, naturally) begins stirring shit.

I realize I'm handwaving a bunch of actual science by using excuses like "this is 1000 years in the future" and "this is extraterrestrial technology," but I hope the idea of hard light is cool with you guys. It basically drives my entire story.

the_doctor, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

@Pv2 - Where the heck you been bro you need to hit me up on some chat thing or something :)

@Bloo - Is striking how many similarities there are between our ideas. However I'm all for what you are doing with this stuff. Plus all these different anime references you've been chucking in there have been making me nerd gush (Massive NGE fanboy here). With the hard light items though, if it is so difficult to have anything manufactured with it (paperwork ect.) why would any bother to use it? I know you said the weightlessness was an advantage but would there be other technological advantages from it? would there be some sort of resource crisis that say one company capitalized on that lead to some common items being made of hard light but not others? You may have answered this stuff in a post ages ago so take my questions with a grain of salt, like I'm that weird uncle with dementia in the corner who keeps asking where is wallet is and thinking you're his son Billy.

There are SO many references that I've subtly thrown at you guys that it's ridiculous, so I'm glad you picked up on some of them. Also YOU LOVE NGE HOLY SHIT WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS SOME TIME.

Anyway, nah you're right, I haven't really mentioned Hard Light before, so you're all good.

The government/military can bypass all the normal licensing/paperwork/etc stuff since they're the ones who developed it. It's not like they're breaking the law, it's just... easier for them to access the stuff. Like how police officers have access to guns, or NERV has access to the Evangelions.

The licenses and restrictions are more for the normal companies and general public since, if you're skilled enough, you can form weapons of mass destruction with Hard Light, which is exactly what the military is doing. Pens, bike frames, trains, etc. are made from it. It's hard to explain just how much Hard Light has been integrated into everyday life - the only comparison I can think of is wireless keyboards. While they're useful, they're not everywhere. Same thing with wireless internet. Very widespread, but it's not everywhere, and there are still problems with it. I dunno, hopefully that's a good enough example.

The amount of advantages Hard Light has over normal material is staggering: Weapons can appear on command so there's no need to lug them around; even if they DID have to carry them, they're weightless; running out of ammo is almost not even an issue since the ammo is made from hard light, which is easy to replenish (although it's not infinite); Hard Light serves as energy shielding, as well as the normal armor plating; Hard Light can regenerate itself; a lot of things can be made from it if the situation calls for it, which means temporary tents, cups, hammers, etc. are easily accessed by soldiers out on the field; that's all I can think of on the spot, but you get it.

This Hard Light is similar to the Particle-Wave Matter that NGE's Angels are made of, as well as being similar to their AT Fields. It's also similar to the Forerunner Technology from Halo 4, and how their guns, ammo, and armor were made almost completely from Hard Light. Whatever WASN'T made from Hard Light is merely attached and easily integrated. Same thing works here.

Of course, only the DBO uses the red goo suits, since these battle suits are highly experimental and relatively new (as of the beginning of the story, they've only been in use for 4 years). Other branches like Alpha Draconis still use the Hard Light weapons/common items, but they use traditional combat suits. So, the completely-Hard Light armor is exclusive to the DBO. AD and everyone else's usage of Hard Light is limited.

Think about it in terms of wireless electronics: the DBO uses laptops with wireless mice. There are no cords anywhere. Everyone else, meanwhile, has wireless mice and keyboards, but they use desktops that are wired down.

If it sounds like Hard Light seriously overpowers humans against Predators/Aliens/Black Liquid Monsters, you'd be kind of right. BUT, there's a catch.

Against Predators, humans are still likely to lose simply because the Predators are literally faster, stronger, and smarter in every way. Predators have actually learned how to negate the creation of Hard Light in any small area. Predators themselves have learned to create Hard Light and have used it to improve their own weaponry.

As for the Aliens, they're not actually alive. In simplest terms, they're like Synthetics. They sound alive, they act like they're alive... but they're not. They're made of Particle-Wave Matter, which lends to the theory that they're silicone-based. But they're not, they're just... eerily organic and rubbery. (This is the same with Empresses and any other Black Liquid Monster.)

Particle-Wave Matter IS based on Hard Light, but the Predators can't negate the creation of Xenos like they can with the humans' weapons. That's because Xenos are also partly organic, and THAT is because they take DNA from an organic host.

I'm not going to lie, a single Xenomorph would probably lose against a DBO soldier in straight up open-area combat. However, this will never be the case. Earth has been turned into a planet-sized Hive (called The Hive), so there are well over 5 billion Xenomorphs roaming everywhere. They'll almost always be encountered in groups, or they'll be encountered in environments in which they have an advantage. The Hard Light weapons work wonderfully against any other type of Black Liquid Monster, but against Xenos, humans are at a big disadvantage simply because they have no idea what the hell they're fighting. (I should also mention that Xenos are the only Black Liquid Monsters that can reproduce, so they can NEVER be purified by Medical Mechanica because they were born that way.)

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Its rent day bitch, Where are the backgrounds.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, BLOO.

Yeah, about those...

I know I haven't had the chance to tell you ('cause of not being on Skype for, like, 8 years), but the "wallpapers" have been pushed back, and instead I'm just totally focusing on character sheets/monster designs.

I think the decision makes sense: The sheets are a legitimate excuse to keep practicing anatomy as well as playing around with different outfits and stuff, not to mention I'm STILL slightly tweaking everyone's faces (I've finally settled on a final design for Vera, if that makes you feel better).

And I gotta be honest, ever since classes started back up, I've been doing less and less drawing. I only manage to get out a few drawings a week, and almost none of these are upload-worthy. In my current pile, I have maybe 6 I wanna show you guys later.

On the bright side, I've been doing a ton of writing, and I'm on track to (finally) completely update Art Crap the next time I upload more drawings, which might admittedly take a while at the pace I'm going. Sometimes I wish I had two bodies...

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Welp, if you need more encouragement, here's a tiny lecture from the only Korean writer whose name I can remember, who wrote "Your Republic Is Calling You" - which you should read:

http://www.ted.com/talks/young_ha_kim_be_an_artist_right_now.html

*TL Note: Son Dam Bi is some slut.

EDIT: Unfortunately the subtitles aren't synced, I hope it doesn't bother you very much.

EDIT2: Apparently it syncs back if you refresh and start from where you left off.

I'm surprised it even loaded for me, but anyway, that was a nice video.

I saw your post right after reading Hayao Miyazaki's recent "Otaku" rant. It's funny because, last night, I was reading through my earlier posts in this thread, and I realized I was insecure for no reason.

I kept trying to tell myself that my style wasn't anime-influenced. That's because I was really embarrassed to be associated with anime at all, but I actually really love that aesthetic and I've since embraced that. It's just that... I was worried about what others would think about my style, since anime is generally hated.

I agree with people like Miyazaki and Hideaki Anno when they say they love anime, but hate a lot of the consumers - the otaku. I know the term "otaku" itself doesn't necessarily mean "anime lover," but its like the evolution of the definition of "gay" - how many people actually mean "happy" when they say that? It's the same thing - and since it's otaku who consume or make 85% of the anime that Westerners are exposed to (the TONS of repetitive, unnecessary fanservice/stereotypes/sexualization of underage girls/unbelievable characters/stupid character interactions), it's no wonder the rest of the world thinks anime is garbage.

But I've since realized... I shouldn't be embarrassed about my art style. Besides, I'm not aiming to do any of that and I don't consider myself an anime otaku. I'm actually aiming to undo ALL of those things. It's my attempt at showing people anime isn't inherently bad. Asian animation can be really, really beautiful (I just learned that it was a Korean studio that animated Avatar, and that makes me happy).

I'm going to keep making my art, even if no one cares, because it makes me happy. And if some people hate it, who cares, right? You can't please everyone. This isn't some project for a big company, so if there was ever a right time to be experimental as fuck, now is that time.

Also, I guess you should know this: A long time ago on this forum, we were talking about whether or not something like AVP could be made into an anime, and me and Predatoress got into a big debate about whether or not anime is stupid. I couldn't convince her that anime =/= "huge boobs/bad storytelling" and some now-inactive members backed her up, so a lot of my past insecurity came from that.

Predess is really good at seeding and exploiting insecurities in people. She's probably the only person I've ever known who is more skilled than me when it comes to propaganda and even so, I don't think I'm even close to her level.

I dunno if you saw my reply in the OTT, but even if you did, here's a better one:

I just dislike how a lot of anime tropes justify the hate. While anime =/= bad, she probably wasn't 100% wrong, and that's what got to me.

I want to dispel a lot, if not all, of those stereotypes. This may or may not be an unorthodox way of improving my own writing, but I'm actively watching a bunch of shows while forming my own opinions, and then going online to read constructive criticisms/reviews to see how other people reacted. Usually I'm "right" in what I'm thinking, which makes me confident in the directions I'm taking Instrumentality's story. This probably sounds backward as hell since I JUST said that I don't care what others think, but this method is more for me to help distinguish between genuinely good writing, and writing that I just find entertaining, even if it's bad.

Now that I know what others think of my current art style, I feel good about that, too. That also probably sounds contradictory to my previous post, but no matter how much I like my own style, this is also supposed to appeal to other people, too. A big reason I'm even putting this much effort into something I'm not getting paid for is to take the "anime is shit" mindset and shove it up people's asses.

I mean, I also love doing this stuff, but still.

You're gonna go online for constructive criticism? That's a terrible idea.

Listen, writing that you find entertaining is good writing. Like Kim Young-ha said, just keep writing and it will turn out good, because if you're an intelligent enough person to know how to write, you're probably intelligent enough to make it entertaining. Write a lot, and when you're done read it and if you like it, it's probably good. If you don't like it, modify it until you're like half-content with it and at that point it will be much better than you think it is. Your own review is the only one that matters - and you don't have to try to convince anyone that this is true.

Basically all you have to do is not be BioWare. Neither start blocking out people who disagree with you, nor start taking advice from fucking everyone on what your art should be like until it becomes shit. Amazingly, they managed to do both at the same time. So yeah, the world you're creating is yours and only you understand it, so write it in a way that you enjoy and that will be good writing.

I think you're right about all of that. I agree my method isn't very conventional - though I always thought it was effective in at least telling me how to avoid genuinely bad writing (like boring characters). But I guess if I can already tell what a bad character is on my own, then I don't really need to keep trying to "confirm" it by looking at others' opinions, do I?

Still, it's kinda fun looking at different opinions, so I'm still gonna do it, but I won't rely on it so heavily like I used to. As for criticisms/advice, I'll gladly take them as long as they help me, like what you've been doing. I really appreciate it.

---

@Deathwraith I kinda have a character for Predess. I don't know how I feel about it though. If anyone would be against me doing this "anime bullshit" to AVP, it'd be her, so I don't even know how to handle her character without potentially pissing her off.

I want to include her because she was here a long time, but I don't know how to integrate her story-wise. Whatever changes I would make to her might stray too far off from what her original character is.

Here's a rough draft of stuff I came up with:

She was a Finnish woman who lived during "The Invasion," which happened 1000 years before the main story. Stuff happened, and eventually she became a test subject for one of the numerous Super Soldier programs going on. Xeuss, Lucifer, and most of the other DBO members' characters were also test subjects.

Your guys' program used Miracle Matter (the black goo) as the basis for your enhancements. You were each fused with the DNA and "brain" of another species. Xeuss was fused with a Xenomorph named Death Wraith, Lucifer was fused with a Predator named Otang, etc. Predess was fused with a Predator named Diabolus.

Predess and everyone in the actual DBO were "successful" experiments, except a lot of them fell into comas (or something). Xeuss and Predess were among them; Xeuss only fell asleep for a few months, but even then his memory was really blurry. Still, he knew he was mostly human.

SHE slept for, like, 900 years in a test tube thing, so she woke up thinking she was a small Predator. From there, she started attacking other Predators for having weird faces. (She has a dominantly human body, including a human face, just like Xeuss).

Eventually she sides with The Seven Head Dragon, which is The Doctor's rogue clan. It's made up of member-owned Predators, like Deathdrop and Stalker.

Oh, and she might be the ancestor of one of the main characters, who is half Finnish/Korean. I dunno yet.

---

@Dronehive: I've never actually seen Black Lagoon. Miracle Matter is a reference to a villain from Kirby (yes, the pink guy), and Medical Mechanica is a nod to the villain of FLCL.

Miracle Matter's namesake is fitting, while Medical Mechanica's isn't (kind of).

The name "Black Lagoon" itself WAS a name I used for something, but it's since been scrapped, so there's currently nothing called Black Lagoon in my story.

Also, "Black Lagoon" itself was a reference to "Monster from the Black Lagoon" or whatever it was called - I actually had no idea what the show Black Lagoon was at this time last year.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

^ Dude, you should watch Creature from the Black Lagoon, it is up there with Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula and the Wolf-man, it is my favorite Universal Movie Monster.

Edit: Also I really like the blood types you created with the Yautja, that is really cool. I hadn't commented to say this before because I felt out of my depth looking at you and DW's really fascinating discussion about your ideas, and because I didn't feel I had anything to contribute. So I guess telling you to watch "Creature from the Black Lagoon" is my contribution(which is kind of a lame one) and that your Yautja blood types and lineages are a really fantastic concept.

Shit, I can't really take any originality points for that one, though - I only took the basic idea from Homestuck and started reworking it to fit the Predators.

A lot of this comic is like that, actually. It's to pay homage to the works that came before mine, of course, but there's actually an in-story reason for the similarity to other franchises, as well.

Time is a theme in this, and while there isn't any Doctor Who-esque time traveling shenanigans going on, time travel IS a thing. Extending beyond that is the idea of different World Lines, all of which reside in Attractor Fields. Each Attractor Field contains a near-infinite amount of World Lines that all contain similar events - no matter what happens and how it happens, these similar events will always happen, even if the time period, people involved, and circumstances leading up to them are completely different.

For example, events like the "Human Instrumentality Project" of End of Evangelion and "The Destruction of Xerxes" in Fullmetal Alchemist belong to the same basic Attractor Field event, even if they're literally two different things. It's because they have one thing in common - the merging of thousands of humans. Also from the same two franchises, the antagonist tries merging with a higher being to become/surpass God. They're completely different events, but they're also the same because they belong in the same Attractor Field. In other words, these two franchises are two different World Lines within the same Attractor Field.

There are Alien Universe equivalents of these things, as well, because anything having to do with humans is automatically a different World Line in the same Attractor Field. The difference between World Lines can be measured by a "Divergence Number."

The Engineers are from a different World Line, while the Predators are from a completely different Attractor Field. The Engineers are an evolved form of humans from the 100% Divergence, and they created our World Line, which means they created our domain. They strayed too far into trying to leave our Attractor Field, which explains their "space wars" with species like the Predators. The Engineers became drunk with power and tried conquering other Attractor Fields, forcing those different AF residents to fight back.

This itself is the Alien Universe equivalent of the "Anti-Spiral Versus Spiral Race" conflict of Gurren Lagann.

The Engineers are also the reason why different species and aliens exist in the same Attractor Field as humans. Alien races SHOULDN'T be here, since there should only be one race like the humans per Attractor Field, but the Engineers, asshole experimenters that they were, decided to go against the laws of nature and dropped everybody into the human Attractor Field. They actually sometimes DESTROY the Attractor Fields that they come into contact with, and then take a few of the residents and drop them into the human Attractor Field.

Also, the idea of "only one human-like race per Attractor Field" is similar to the "Adam and Lilith" deal from Neon Genesis Evangelion, but this is getting really long and I lost track of myself.

Edit: I should also mention that all these Attractor Fields exist in a single space, meaning it SHOULD be possible to travel between Attractor Fields if you have the necessary technology, which is how the Engineers did it. THIS means things like the laws of physics are the same between every Attractor Field and World Line. I don't know what this space is called, but it's just another layer of containment: Planet < Galaxy < Universe < World Line < Attractor Field < "Mysterious Space" is how it is. If you guys know what this space would be called, it'd be cool if you could let me know. Otherwise, name suggestions are always welcome.

TL;DR Thanks! I liked the blood color idea, too. And nah, feel free to join the conversation whenever you want, SR.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I think it would be cool if you called the Mysterious Space "The Yggdrasil"(as opposed to just "Yggdrasil" which is a smidge overused), the World Tree from Norse Mythology. The reason I suggest this more than just it sounds cool, but also you get sort of a tree-like thing going on sort of from what I can tell.

Planet(Fruit)>Galaxy(stem of the Fruit)>Universe(the Branch of the Fruit)>World Line(The Branch of the Branch)>Attractor Field(The Limb of the Branch)>Yggdrasil(The Tree itself).

That's how I got to the conclusion anyhow.

That sounds interesting, I haven't looked at any Norse mythology so far. I'll consider it after looking into the stuff myself.

And yeah, the "feels like a tree" idea is right. The World Lines are like branches, except they don't all exist at the same time - each World Line is a different possibility, with the Alpha World Line being called "Steins;Gate." Each Attractor Field DOES exist at the same time, however. Word Lines = Time, while Attractor Fields = Space.

The Alien Universe (aka the universe we're living in right now) is the Alpha World Line. A lot of other things exist here, too... things that exist in other World Lines.

For starters, Alien Universe equivalents of the Lacuna Company, Cobol Engineering, Abstergo Industries, NERV, SERN, and a certain Kansas City crime syndicate all exist. They aren't exactly the same as they are in their respective franchises, but their technologies - Memory Wipers, Dream Machines, Genetic Memory Machines, Mobile Suits, Time Leap Machines, and Time Travel Machines - do work the same.

That's just the tip of the iceberg - there are hundreds of similar things in this universe. And, of course, Weyland-Yutani also existed prior to The Invasion. It eventually becomes The Red Shield, which houses the government and military branches like Alpha Draconis and the DBO.

Wey-Yu's thousand-year transformation into Red Shield began when it was bought by Walmart. The internet stopped existing for a few hundred years, which lends to the fact that no one in the present story is aware of The Invasion and anything having to do with it. They just know that something called Second Impact happened.

People began digging up old records of the "Old Civilization," which included the media and cultural norms of the 1950s-2100s. In a backwards-as-fuck transition, people began adopting these cultural norms to be more like their ancestors, which included treating women badly, and misinterpreting the meaning of religion (think of how ancient kings forced people to switch to Christianity).

It isn't as severe as it is in our time and people are MUCH less likely to be assholes; Queer people are still more accepted and people are still nice to each other - it's because a majority of the population thinks adopting old norms is a "backward way of thinking." Still, there are strong collections of racists, misogynists, etc. There's even an underground prostitution syndicate in the Japan State, which is significant to the main character, as she was sold into that syndicate as a child trafficker at the age of 9.

Anyway, yeah, if I can't think of anything, I'll take "The Yggdrasil."

predatoress, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Bloo: Don't worry about including my character in the story, I wont be too pissed off anyway lol And hey, I'm still in the books of living (or person with new computer, you decide...).