Predator Speech

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 12 years ago

I've read a few of the older avp books, and with the new avp game it begs the question; Do Predators have a formal language? Early on because of the movies I thought they mostly communicated though clicks and throat noises, even with having the ability to vocally mimic others. However in the avp3 game your objectives are clearly given in some kind of 'alien' like speech. It really reminds me of the district 9 aliens and the way they communicated.

So what do you think? Honestly I have to lean towards predators having a more complicated system than just click and grunts.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 12 years ago

Yeah, that seems likely. People have said they'd like to hear it in the movies, which I don't particularly understand, since it would basically sound like a vomiting baboon. Imagine it.

"SSSLREAUGHG'DS'FFF-EEEEEeeeRYOUAFGH!"

Especially since the dialogue would consist entirely of stuff like "hey, look out for that alien!" or "die, human!" which wouldn't be worth the subtitles.

But I digress: Yes, they probably have a really weird-sounding language that humans can't possibly pronounce.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 12 years ago

Without giving much thought to it, I'd always just liked to think they accomplished more of their detailed conversations through written dialog. Somehow, I can't imagine a court room of old Predator teabags slamming themselves an old wooden piece over the great "Fuck you and your headshot it's not rabbit season" debacle (or whatever else they probably argue about). Then again, I was never much for trying to actually explain any of it (me being an enthusiast for the mysterious part of things), lest I succumb to total fan wankery.

(Note: I know me knowing anything about Aliens other than what's explicitly shown in the movies makes me a giant hypocrite. Sue me. Just don't bring me to that Predator courthouse.)

If I had to wank, just a little, I'd go for the praun thing, since they look like they speak the same language anyway (which I realize is like saying, "Koreans? I thought that was Hmong?" but whatever).

On the other hand, I never liked to believe it was that easy for humans to understand whatever the fuck it was sliding out from their throats and how precisely they could translate said fuck (shit? Let's go with shit). To me, if that were the case, why can't I ask a dolphin how hard it is to masturbate underwater without looking like an idiot? (Thinking about this as my mouse hovers over Submit, there's probably some kind of science thing that proves everything I've ever said/thought as wrong. But will I Google it? Of course not.)

BloodHarpy, Yautja, 12 years ago

I've read three Alien vs Predator books and I can pronounce most of the Predator words(Not that I acctually studied them I'm just really smart and can sound stuff out). Not that I'll be writting a Predator Language Dictionary anytime soon. I have better things to do and write like "How To Maintain Your Camaro" or a dog training guide. I need to get another puppy training guide.

^ That's actually one of the problems I have with the novels. No WAY should humans be able to pronounce anything that comes out of a Predator mouth.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 12 years ago

Well, for one, I never actually did look into any of the novels or anything, me not being a fan the EU of many things (especially after being introduced to the expanded universe of Star Wars), as they're almost always pretty much just glorified (and 'official') fan-fiction.

Two, it's not that I think it impossible to ever try pronouncing anything in the comics/books (which, because of the fact that they're, um, written, allows us to actually say/pronounce things like sccrrrrccCCCHHHHH!!!, or WAAANK!, which is supposed to be some metal hitting some other metal, or something), just that understanding dolphins and crabs is easier said than done.

Most of the ones I've read (prey, hunter's planet) depict the predator language as sort of like the native American language. I'm siding with DD on this one, if they do have any sort of complex language, there should not be anything remotely close to what we (humans) have seen.

Just by their physical facial features one wouldn't expect the way they communicate to be anything close to what a human would be able to replicate. Personally I think any further detailed explanation on how they verbally communicate in any future movies would only cheapen the predators for me.

Gaunt, Yautja, 12 years ago

Uh I wonder if this would help anyone of you solve your debate.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

No one's arguing that a language hasn't been made up; my point of contention is with the idea that it's something a human could pronounce. I realize it's nitpicking, but what is the purpose of a fansite if not to relentlessly nitpick every nerdy little detail?

The list of words is total crap, its taken straight from the avp books. Only the symbols of letters and numbers are valid because of their use in the movies.

That was my point; That most of the books depict the predator language as a rip off of an native American type language. Easily deciphered and spoken by humans which I believe is not the case.

So it don't solve jack. Boyah.