SPARRING CHAMBER Q&A

Deathdrop, Yautja, 10 years ago

If you've read the rules and still have questions, feel free to ask them here.

ultimate-xeno, Yautja, 10 years ago

So lets say me and shockwave are fighting and throw a tail attack at him is it okay to say that he got a deep gash in his back?

-Bloo-, Yautja, 10 years ago

I think there's always been a big misunderstanding about what "controlling someone's character" means exactly.

It's complex, but I feel like it shouldn't be. Of course you need to control someone's character to an extent, otherwise you guys wouldn't get anywhere in the story - posts would have to be as short as "I shot at the Alien, and now I await his next move" to truly not control anyone's character but your own. You just have to make sure whatever you're making your enemy do is reasonable and not out of character for them. If you're a level 30 Predator, you can't take out a level 99 Warrior with one swipe of your knife.

Here's a good example of controlling someone's character without god modding:

"Bloo jerked backward with the tip of Deathdrop's spear tip lodged tightly in his shoulder. His venomous blood splattered everywhere in response, showering over Deathdrop's chest plate and rendering it useless. The steam clouded his vision. He was forced to rip it off before the acid reached his flesh, lobbing it in Bloo's general direction while making sure none of his other equipment had been damaged."

Since we're around the same level, I think something like this would be appropriate. He paralyzed me for a second while I took away a piece of armor. I controlled him, but it was an action that anyone would do under the same circumstances. Now here's a bad example:

"Deathdrop's spear came flying at Bloo, but he missed. Deathdrop then stopped in disgust because his aiming skills were supposed to be totally' bitchin'. This made Deathdrop cry and yell "OH MAN WHAT FUCK" while Bloo cunningly reached up his asshole and pulled out his dick. This made Deathdrop cry like a bitch; Bloo then cut off his arm. Deathdrop, like a little sissy girl, started using his gun, which Bloo was immune to. "HAHAHA! THIS ISN'T EVEN MY TRUE FORM!" said Bloo as he powered up to maximum energy, becoming a WEREXENO!!

"WHAT FUCK"

This is an obviously terrible piece of writing, but let me point out a few things that were actually fine:

1. You can cut off someone's limbs (or something similar, like taking away weaponry/armor/etc.) if you're around the same level and you've been in enough action. It's not a bitch move - just don't say they're helpless afterward. Yes, even humans can still kill you with a missing arm or leg. It all depends on how well they write themselves out.

2. If they said they shot at you in their post, you CAN say they missed in YOUR post. You aren't god modding this way. However, if you're catching their bullets and shooting lasers out of your ass, just stop.

3. You can make them make small mistakes like dropping their guns or tripping. That's fine. But don't make them cry or speak for them. (Actually, you can make them say things that ANYONE would say, but you can't have a full-on conversation with them (unless you have permission), and yes, I HAVE made this mistake recently and that doesn't mean it's okay.)

Now here's what was wrong with it.

1. DO NOT TURN INTO A FUCKING WEREWOLF.

shockwave, Yautja, 10 years ago

Oh, i get it now, i feel so dumb right now. dont worry -Bloo-, i dont do all that werewolf and vampire shit, no need to worry :) ill try my best to not be such an asshole for my first RPG.

ultimate-xeno, Yautja, 10 years ago

another question to ask (not trying to be a thorn in the side.) um how do you start a spar with another member.

concretehunter, Yautja, 10 years ago

Someone with correct permissions will set it up.

Basically. You cant make any decisions for the other players. Beside that you're ok.

FireHunter, Yautja, 10 years ago

Points will be awarded for MAINBOARD RPGs. Spars do not earn points. Even if you die you will receive at least enough points to purchase new abilities.

concretehunter, Yautja, 10 years ago

Are we going to limit the amount of main boards per year to prevent some people hitting 100 points too quickly?

I think so, yeah.

how many points we talking about sport $-$ like how many do you earn if you live or die? and ah man, theres a limit, im still newborn rank, i wish there wasnt a limit, i really need that predalien with some abilities! thats all i want, no queen, no preatorian, only a predalien.

before i have to leave for a while, (im leaving/ returning thread) can you open up an arena for me and UX. I cant stay here for much longer for a while but i also want my first RPG so, thank you if you decide to open up an arena for me and UX, if not, i understand.

You guys should be able to open it yourselves, unless something got screwed up.

krio, Yautja, 10 years ago

how do i make a spar? there is nowhere a:"create" topic button

Hang on...

EDIT: Try it now.

krio, Yautja, 10 years ago

still no create topic button

I cant creat a topic either.

Daedalus, Yautja, 10 years ago

Same problem here :-(

Warzlern, Yautja, 10 years ago

To those with the pictures that have there names on it with their species..... How can I get one of those for myself? Please reply.