Why do xenomorphs need eye sockets?

zero-alpha, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Why do xenomorphs need eye sockets? Is it for their abilities, powers, their good looks? Who knows? But I personally think that there is no purpose of them having sockets in their skulls since they don't need the use of eyes to see. What are your thoughts?

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Well blind cave creatures have eye sockets and don't need them, so I guess it's a genetic redundancy.

XenoX27, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I am just going to go with, Xenomorphs evolved just like any other creature. take dinosaurs for an example, sure they're extinct, but, a bird is technically an evolved version. it has been proven that velociraptors had quill knobs on their forearms showing that they indeed had feathers, but were not evolved enough for flight. raptors closest relatives are today's birds. I'm thinking Xenomorphs started life with fully fuctional eyes. as the years went on they evolved past the need for eyes. especially since they spend so much time in the dark. their other senses developed more and their eyes became obsolete. tho they still have remnants of having eyes in the past. (I think that's the right word). I don't remember if this was in the movies or comics, but I have a feeling Xenomorphs can smell better with their mouths open likes cats do. due to special scent glands on the roof of their mouths. That's just an example of stronger senses they use, rather than sight.

sorry for rambling ~X27

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

^I think that's actually one of the better answers you could come up with at this point, since no one's ever acknowledged the eye sockets except Giger and fanartists.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Wasn't the theory that it's something they took from humans? If the xenomorphs we see in the Alien series all originated in the strain from Prometheus, then it would make sense that their skeletal structure would hold some resemblance to that of humans.

Gambusia, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Death Wraith has it right. The human skull underneath the dome of Gigers alien along with its human like feet and hands were something it inherited from Kane. After the first movie however Stan Winston and later ADI ditched the skull for some reason and replaced the human like hands for the generic space bug hands that the aliens have been stuck with since the second movie.

Surprising the only alien in the series to have the skull after Gigers alien was the Predalien in AVP:R.

krio, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

i think that they took it from the humans. maybe the first xeno didn't have eye sockets, but the ones that come from the humans did!

zero-alpha, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Hey you got a point there.

XenoX27, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I feel dopey now, I should have known that -facepalm

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

It happens to the best of us, don't sweat it.

krio, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Happens to him all the time.