Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Just got back from the theater-Great movie. Not perfect, but very, very good.

The scenery was jaw-dropping, particularly the mindfuck opening. The effects were fantastic (the only time anything looked fake was the proto-hugger at the end.)

I especially loved the way it built up slowly and just let you take in the visuals. Also, as some other people have said, I liked that they didn't explain everything. I would have liked a bit more clarification on some things (the urns in particular), but I'm glad they didn't spell everything out.

Yes, there were some issues with characters being idiots to progress the plot, but aside from that this was a damn good film. Best since Alien 3, easily.

PREDATORv2, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

This is the one thing I don't understand, and I completely understand that Prometheus is not a spoon fed direct prequel to alien in any form.

So any thoughts on how those dodgy creatures (excluding the engineers/jockeys) we saw in Prometheus end up being the beautiful death machines in alien and so on?

daveberg, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

Artistic license for one.

Ridley said on countless occasions that the overall look of the Alien over the years had become tired and over used, so he wanted something a little different. Something like a descendant from the creature we all know and love.

In film explanation? Watered down DNA. The life cycle involved several different factors, once it got to the Jockey/Engineer, it wasn't really what you would call a 'pure' strand Alien. I think the incident on LV-426 would have been fairly different, having excluded the human element and having Jockeys/jockey only, the Alien itself would have been a direct descendant from the Engineer, which would give it the features we all recognise.

protoAlien.jpg

engineer.jpg

ourxeno.jpg

ash, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

You guys notice the Alien Resurrection Ripley's baby reference? on top of the pyramid. Maybe this retarded thing is what the Jockey's wanted to make? Lol...

That was an unused skull concept from the Dune movie that was cancelled.

DDM2DDM2.jpg

prommy.jpg

hr_giger_dune_V.jpg

Fair enough,

Deep down the fan boy in me wanted the thing to look exactly like our buddy from the first movie, lol would have been fucking epic. However, it doesn't change the fact that the film as it is, is great and definitely worth the wait.

^ The implications are pretty scary though; Xenomorphs are only one of the many, many fucked up things the liquid can create.

jaguargod, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I just came from the theather. Before I say anything else, I just wanted to say to anyone who said that this movie was a failure, or a disaster or anything along those lines, I feel REALLY sorry for you that you can't just go in and enjoy a movie. I thought it was a really good movie. Great visuals, interesting story. I didn't find there to be a lot of plot holes, and if there were any, they certainly didn't affect my ability to enjoy the movie. I didn't have a problem with the soundtrack. I really didn't find almost any of the criticisms that have been floating around. I have a friend and I have never been to a movie with him where he didn't complain or make snyde comments. I think most of the complaining people are like him. I truly feel bad for Ridley Scott. This was a well made movie, and he is being crucified by much of the audience over things that just seem so trivial after seeing the movie.

Has anyone mentioned that the "cobra" worm regenerated after being cut? Makes sense seeing as they come from worms, and many worms have that ability.

Did it seem to anyone else that Holloway could have possible been turning into something similar to an Engineer? I think I recall his skin showing signs of transluscence and his eyes starting to blacken. Not that he was becoming one, but something with some similarities. *Update* I read a theory that the goo could possibly react to intent of use. Holloway seemed to have good intentions and was willing to do anything to meet his makers. Perhaps that is exactly what was happening to him. He was becoming that which he most wanted to meet.

I know there has been some displeasure with the creature at the end that came from the Engineer. I think it looked really interesting. Kind of a mix of an early alien, and a creature from Pitch Black. On some levels, I like it as much as the original creature, maybe just because it is something new after all this time.

I'm not really sure what Shaw hopes to do when she gets to the Engineer homeworld. It seems to me that they will just kill her like the one did with Weyland and David.

Also, since the DNA that they matched to human DNA was pulled from an Engineer who was undergoing a mutation, presumably from the goo, how would they have gotten a pure DNA signature from that sample? Wouldn't it have been contaminated by the mutation?

It is my own personal belief that Vickers was not a robot, mainly by her reaction when she barbecued Holloway. It almost seemed like even she herself thought she was bluffing to kill him. Plus, she had motivations that a robot wouldn't have (wanting to be in charge of Weyland Industries, and her sense of self-preservation.)

The character of David was very interesting, and very well acted. You could tell that he harbored contempt for humans, especially Holloway.

All in all, I thought it was a very entertaining movie, and I think it is a welcome addition to the Alien series, even if it never fully ties into the original. And if we get a Director's Cut Bluray edition, even better.

^ A director's cut would be cool. Supposedly there were a couple of scenes cut for time.

ash, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

That direct shot you posted Dave still to me like it's a reference. Just finished watching Alien Resurrection after a few years, it looks more like the newborn than that dune thing. Although because it's Giger it's obviously been put in :D

You mean the second picture I posted? That's actually in the film. Also seen in the trailers.

But yes, very much included in the film because it was Gigers work.

Also the Squid hugger is very similar to several pieces of unused concept art drafted up for Alien.

It's pretty cool that those designs finally got to be used on something after 30+ years.

Xenomorph1212, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I have a question, if the first xenomorph was born in 2091, than were are their xenomorphs in ancient and modern times fighting predators? And didn't Peter Weyland die in Alien vs. Predator?

^ Prometheus seems to be simply ignoring the AvP movies, which makes the timeline work better overall. Think of them as separate universes.

What DD said.

Ridley Scott did the only sensible thing possible - completely ignore those two stinkers of films.

AVP should have been left on the comic book shelf.

That said though, the first Xeno was clearly around before 2091 - as there was a mural of the creature in the ampule room, almost shrine like.

Why did Meredith Vickers have that med-pod/auto-doc device installed exclusively in her personal suite, if it was only calibrated for males? Was it there for Weyland, or is there something going on with Vickers that we need to know about? With her being so self-centered, I can't imagine her not insisting that it be calibrated for both.

Have to remember when they first woke up Weyland, he was surprised his daughter was even on the ship. This leads me to strongly believe that the fancy escape pod was just for Weyland, which is why he had the advanced auto doc installed and it was only for a male. Same reason the android felt so at home in the escape pod.

Yep, forgot about that.

I have heard people saying that the Engineers possibly worshipped the zenos because of the mural with the image of a zeno. This doesn't make sense to me, seeing as the facility was a weapons warehouse, not a temple for worship. My theory is that they had previous experience with the creature on the mural, and put the image there as a reminder of what can happen if you don't give the proper respect to handling the goo. Kind of like the safety signs that you see in a laboratory.

killswitch, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

A director's cut in a literal sense won't happen. The version we saw was the version the director wanted us to see. We will see some 30 minutes of deleted scenes though which should be fun.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/73662/Film-news-Prometheus-DVD-to-include-deleted-scenes