"Alien" A date movie?

Skystalker, Undefined, 16 years ago

Yes, before I start let me say I know this is a very random thought I had that I thought I would share with everyone. (at the risk of being stoned to death, or having my topic locked!)

Alien you say to yourself, a date movie?!?! Yes! I beleve it is.

Heres Why:

Firstly, the movie itself is scary, not scary in the way that Hostel, Saw and other Texas Chainsaw massacre are, but scary in a way that gives you a jolt , yes its violent, but nothing compared to the above movies. I happen to have a bit of an aversion to violence, for some reason I can watch a predator skinning someone, but when I see people killing people I sometimes get queasy(and no I have not fainted yet.)
, mostly things like you see in Saw and or Hostel such as torture, or incredibly disgusting ways of people being killed tend to peeve me out. (and no I have not fainted yet.)

Secondly, you care about the characters, most movies today (note above listed movies) give you a group of teenage/young adult characters so you can watch them all get cut up and slaughtered in 90 minutes. That to me is not the Hallmark of a good movie (or entertainment for that matter), the characters in Alien are all believeable, some likeable, and you start to feel bad when they are killed by the creature. (and there is a kitty!!!)

THirdly, there is suspense, and not just absolutely grotesqueness. The creature itself is not even shown until a good portion of the way into the movie, giving time for character exposition and plot developement.

Now that I've lain down my reasons, I know you are asking yourself, how does this make a date movie?! Skystalker, you crazy fiend you've tricked us!

No I havent, Ill explain what I mean.

Now for anyone here who's ever watched a scary movie with a date, usually if you are watching something incredibly violent, most people turn away the entire time and dont seem interested in you or the movie, but with Alien, since its suspensful and not just disgusting, usually you end up sitting close to the person you are viewing it with, and since the girl I was dating at the time we watched it was scared very easily it actually, surprised me to see her still watching (of course she had a white knuckle death grip on my arm) but I personally think its always better on a date when you are watching a movie to be focused on one of two things the first and most important is the person you are watching with, and secondly the movie itself, this makes it a very good experience and, now you know why I feel this way.

So, yes that was my opinion, and I know its kind of mixed up, thats because I had it all typed out and accidentially pressed the close button and lost everything (yes that means it was even longer.) If you happen to not agree with me, know this is my opinion and kind of coincides with my views on dating, which compared to most of my peers are old fashioned.

Remember, post all your thoughts, I'd love to hear your opinions!

City-Hunter, Undefined, 16 years ago

My parents went to see Alien when they were younger. My dad was planing to kiss my mom for the first time but she puked after watching certain scenes in the movie. lol

killswitch, Undefined, 16 years ago

lol funny you should say that cory lol, if you watch the post production of alien in your nice little alien quadrilodgy youl see the first cinema showing of alien ..... lol it shows you the horror on the faces of many in the crowd aswell as many throwing up during the chestbuster scene lol many also left the screening after seeing the alien ..... lol it scared the shit outa ridley but he was advised that was a very good thing ... and that turned out to be the case

Thank God for ridley and his amazing vision oh and lets not forget about giger lol ...Long live the alien franchise

It's strange that back then people fainted, threw up and such, but now kids can watch saw and hostel (which are multiple times worse) and not be the slightest bit disturbed.

Kidd, Undefined, 16 years ago

Some of the new generation grew up watching violent and disgusting movies. Take me for an example, I grew up watching the movies, Jurrasic Park and Robocop. Yes, there were other movies in that time frame that I watched but those two movies are the only ones I can come up with that I know that has the violence and disgusting scenes in them.

Now, Alien a date movie? Never thought of that, but you did give me an idea for a next movie to see with someone. -nods- The problem is... we don't own it. -growls-

DeathWraith, Undefined, 16 years ago

Indeed these newer generations may find disturbing things very much less disturbing than they should really be... With these games where your purpose is solely to slaughter others (Postal 2), or where you can kill any kinds of people, young, old, and other stuff, steal their cars just like that etc. (GTA - i always felt like kicking an old lady`s ass and stealing her money or hyjacking a car after playing that...), or even these games we talk about here, where your purpose is either to slaughter humans, to hunt humans and take their heads and spines, or to avoid being slaughtered or getting your skull and spine taken away... Violence is much encouraged today... The games do have an age restriction, but most countries don`t give a shit, they just pretend to... As with this i see the idea of the EU as becoming like the US an impossibility... Because we are bound to slaughter eachother for supremacy once this newer generation gains the power it needs... I don`t know if in the future there will be any movies violent enaugh to not be taken by people as "date movies"...

But don`t listen to me, i`m a psycho, i laughed my ass off while watching "The Passion of the Christ"...

City-Hunter, Undefined, 16 years ago

First off, the Saw films are so farfetched and unrealistic, no wonder why they don't frightin kids.

Second, Children these generations know movies are just movies, of course. I think they don't take notice or realize the horror and disturbing nature of the movies they watch. This isn't saying children are becoming demented. Its just that they love action. Its all about action when your a kid. But they do not enjoy drama. And in drama is when you get a stronge sense of horror, thrill, disturbia etc. Meaning, kids love the action in movies, whether its very brutal violense and gore, but they leave or wait for the action again, when there's a dramatic scene with no action.

I guess children just can't comprehend the horror and disturbing sense in movies and pay attention to the action, which at that age is the most entertaining stuff.

Waralien, Undefined, 16 years ago

hmm I really never thought of alien as a date movie before. Very interesting...

Stalker, Undefined, 16 years ago

The violence & horror in Alien is fairly timid compared to many modern movies, meaning that it would be lucky to scare a 5 year old nowadays. I personally don't view it as a "date" movie of any kind, although if you're looking for a real shocker, just rent The Descent, that'll get her grabbing onto your arm, lol.

Its funny, the girl I dated actually finds Tremors (which is one of the funniest/best movies Ive ever seen) scary, so Alien would have been the perfect movie.

However I know about The Descent, thats another of the graphically violent, gory movies I was mentioning, earlier.