What is the best Aliens, Predator, or Aliens vs. Predator game?

Scarfacedwolf, Yautja, 14 years ago

I love Aliens vs. Predator 3, Extinction, and Requiem (the game of course,) and I wanted to know what the BEST game is based off of these franchises.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 14 years ago

alien_3.gif

mr_loco, Yautja, 14 years ago

Favorite Alien game, ok I haven't played that many Alien games, but outta the ones I played back in the day, I think I gotta go with Alien 3 for Sega Genesis.
Favorite Predator game, I gotta go with Predator Concrete Jungle.
Favorite AVP game I think to me is AVP 2 for PC....

The first and the new AVP games are really good too, but I think that they're kinda short and quick to beat, specially the new AVP game, that shit is hella short...

Shadowwall, Yautja, 14 years ago

the only ones i played were concrete jungle AVP2 and AVP3 so the AVP serie's i like.Concrete jungle was on xbox

TDN, Yautja, 14 years ago

Best Alien game is Alien 3 on the SNES like everyone's already mentioned.

Best Predator game? Well I've only played Concrete Jungle for a little bit and thought that it wasn't so good.

Best AVP game there's a lot. While I like AVP3 (2010) quite a bit, my personal favorite is AVP2. I loved the class based multiplayer no matter how unbalanced it was. It just gave the game a sense of variety the new one doesn't have. Plus as Aliens you can even play as Facehuggers and Queens.

Tam, Yautja, 14 years ago

I dont know it may just be me but I quite like Predator CJ
But the best game from the franchise is definetly AVP3(2010)
Yes i Have the PC originals aswell.

As the extreme conservativist that i am, i still say the first AvP game was the best. No other game got wallwalking and feel of being xenomorh as well as that game did. Haven't played Concrete Jungle because my PC can't emulate a PS2 too well, so i can't say anything about that, but best predator game would be AvP2 for me.

Very interesting games. I'd like to know if Sony or Microsoft will add AVP 2 to the arcade games. lol Thanks guys!

Mebber, Yautja, 14 years ago

Hard choice, but for me it is AvP2. AvP1 is more scary, but i like the story-presentation in AvP2. I love games with readable notes and that stuff, it makes the whole thing somehow "authentic". I also love the plot of that game, how the three campaigns are connected- it just fits. That's something i really miss in the 2010's AvP. You play the same maps, but there is no real connection. No sign you visited that place earlier in the other species campaigns... and, compared to AvP1, there was no good "WOAH, same map, new perspective!"-feeling...

DW said:
"i still say the first AvP game was the best. No other game got wallwalking and feel of being xenomorh as well as that game did."

That's true. AvP1 is definitely the best Alien-game,
there was just a perfect xeno-feeling...

AvP 2 does have a major advantage in that it can be easily modded, just like Half-Life 1. I've played lots of interesting fan made camapins for AvP 2, which just isn't possible anymore for a game like AvP 1, with the old coding and all...

Mebber, DeathWraith: I'm going to have to disagree with you both on AVP1 best capturing the experience of beign an Alien. First off, I've always thought that AVP2010 was a major improvement in terms of the wall-walking system. I've never liked the fact that you needed to hold down a button to do it. I liked it much better being completely automatic.

And the AVP1's Alien was all about charging through the map like a rhino tail whipping wildly. Not what I would call an authentic Alien experience. Was it fun? Sure it was, and the Aliens actually feels well balanced unlike the later games. But for me AVP2 and AVP2010 actually does better in the whole feeling like an Alien thing.

The fact that you have to keep a button pressed is much more realistic than it being automatical, because as an alien, due to gravity, you wouldn't automatically start walking on the walls, you'd have to make an effort. Press the button, you walk on walls, release the button you fall down to the ground, kinda makes sense, no? You grab the wall, you release it.

And seriously, no. You don't have to run through everything swinging a tail everywhere, you will fucking burn, get shot and die if you do that. You have to be very exact and quick. Plus, do you know what a drone's job in the hive is? To kill everything as fast as possible. that's what an Alien should feel like, not like you don't know wtf wall you're on because it's not your choice whether to go up or not.

DW said:
"as an alien, due to gravity, you wouldn't automatically start walking on the walls"

and

"you don't know wtf wall you're on because it's not your choice whether to go up or not."

Just turn off the "auto transition" option. That's a good compromise between keep a button pressed/just walk onto a wall.

I really like the Alien-part in the new AvP game, it's just great to lurk in the dark, irritate and seperate your enemies from each other. That's a very good aspect of the alien-gameplay, but sadly it is also the major part... the alien's main combat system is bad (it suits for the predator much better, though), since it's attacks are very slow and somehow pathetic when a marine just blocks you and you have to start a skirmish with a weak human. An alien should be a very agile, fast and extremely dangerous foe, capable of killing one or two seperated marines in the twinkling of an eye and disappearing before any backup arrives. But it's not so. You feel more like you're simply bickering with these weak humans instead of slaying them down.

Ever (as marine) seen an alien performing a pounce-heavy-attack on you? It's just ridiculous, you can step aside placid, watching the alien flying through the air in almost matrix-style slowmotion...

DeathWraith:

"Press the button, you walk on walls, release the button you fall down to the ground, kinda makes sense, no? You grab the wall, you release it."

We've had this conversation before, and I've stated that this feature was more of an annoyance to me than anything else. Once again if for whatever reason you accidentally release the button, if you happen to fall in front of an enemy, you're fucked. Me? I like to keep my hands free when wall-walking and worry about finding and stalking the enemy instead.

"Plus, do you know what a drone's job in the hive is? To kill everything as fast as possible. that's what an Alien should feel like,"

I suppose this comes down to which representation of the Alien you prefer. From the looks of it, you seem to like the Aliens drones better, while I much prefer Giger's original. Aliens is still my favorite movie, but I've always liked the stealthy, menacing and stalking Alien from the first movie. That's why I prefer the AVP2010 version more. Hell even AVP2 had more stealth than the AVP1 version.

"not like you don't know wtf wall you're on because it's not your choice whether to go up or not."

Like Mebber said, you can simply turn off auto-transition. And unless you're in tight spaces or don't know the map too well it shouldn't be hard to figure out which surface you're on. Also the Alien's crosshair always point to the ground, so there's another indicator.

Plus it isn't the job of a drone to kill everything as fast as possible, only every immediate threat to the hive.
Remember the movies, the xeno's main task always was to harvest hosts in order to establish/expand the hive. The original Alien captured captain Dallas alive, although he wasn't a part of a hive since he was the only specimen onboard the ship, so i think the instinct to harvest is very strong in these creatures. In Aliens, the drones even captured some well-armed marines instead of killing them, what could have been much easier. There was a reason Ripley and Hicks planned to save the last two bullets for themselves.
Because of that i think it is wrong to think of the aliens as some kind of pure xenomorphic exterminators, but more as stealthy creatures, since stealth is necessary to harvest. That can be seen in many scenes where humans were harvested, like Dallas, Hudson, Newt and Apone.

That's a point i like in the 2010' aliengameplay too, the ability to harvest civilians, although it was way too easy and unrealistic (yeah sure, there's always a face-hugger nearby, and the other humans don't care about the infected guys). Would have been great if an alien had to stun and carry the hosts to hide them somewhere, maybe in one or two "save harvest spots" allocated through the map...

By the way, i still think xenos must be ABLE to slay humans down by using their speed and strength, and that's something i can't see in the new game, so i still think the original AvP has the best alien-feeling...

mr_loco, Yautja, 14 years ago

I kinda agree, the wall walk toggle is way easier to creep up on enemies and take them out in a quick way without them noticing it.

The Xeno is not my species that I prefer to play though, but I know when I did in AVP 1 I kinda got irritated if I accidentally let go of the wall walk button and fell to the ground, especially if it was in front of any motion canons....

We probably just have different understandings of the Alien creature itself. I preffer the theory that they are artificial and a weapon. Even as intelligent as they are, their main instinct, in my vision, is to kill, not protect the queen. As i may have shown before, in RPG posts for example, i actually think the queen is more a nuissance than an advantage, because it gives the Aliens something to worry about, while they should be focusing on how to exterminate every foreign organism.

I guess you think of them in a different way then i, but i assure you, i don't preffer the Aliens xenomorphs to the Alien xenomorph. I always argue FOR the idea that the xenomorph is a very intelligent being, capable of learning and understanding much better than any human or predator, but the way i see it, they use that knowledge to kill. Everything else is optional.

I agree partially. I think they're artificial too, but i'm uncertain about their creators intend. The weapon theory is good, but it doesen't fits entirely to me. The xenos aren't just perfect killers, they're perfect survivors. That fits to the weapons theory too, but i think they overwhelmed their own creators- if their intend was to create a perfect weapon, their product was maybe *too* perfect.
Somehow i have to think of Starcraft at this point- don't worry DW, i know you hate it when people mashs up different franchises, that's not the point. I just remember the background story of the xel-naga or however they were named- a species on the very height of their own evolution, with immense knowledge about the universe's nature, and in their arrogant attempt to see the face of perfection they created something that destroyed themself.

The seek or wish for perfection is common, and maybe the xeno's creators really made it. I think the xenos aren't just weapons or perfect survivalist- they are more, a perfect beeing. I think we don't see their whole concept. I believe it's all about the hive -the hive, not the queen-, and the "hive" is the perfect beeing. No beeing in the normal way, but some kind of abstract collective entity. The hive begins with every little egg and ends with who knows (we're just assuming the queen or empress is the last stage of the xeno's evolution). If aliens have to kill, they kill, and they're good killers. If aliens have to breed, they breed. If they have to hide they hide, and if they have to rush without any sort of individual survival instinct into a enemies defese line, they rush in. They just do what's needed for the hive to be the most superior and dominate lifeform ever seen.

Just like Ash said in Alien... "a perfect lifeform, created to survive".

Edit1: Oh and shadowwall, if you're reading this, my nick is MEBBER not MEMBER. Sheesh each few months the same thing. This nick had a meaning, even if i've forgotten it right now.

Oh, don't worry, i love Starcraft, first time i heard this theory i thought of the Zerg too. If you were here during the few RPGs i took part in, you'd have been able to make a slight connection between my character and Kerrigan. Just like she used Zeratul to kill the Overmind so that the Zerg could grow stronger free of his will, so do i think that without a Queen, xenomorphs would pose a much greater threat by following their own minds.

But i think that the creators' intention when they made the xenomorphs was to completely wipe out the enemy in such a way that it would be impossible for any of them to survive, so they made this creature that can adapt, survive, spread, with the sole purpose of killing everything until the whole planet is just a huge hive.

There's an Alien prequel coming though. All this could be proven wrong.

Wow, guys.... we went from video games, to theories on Xenomorphs? I love this place!!!!

Mebber:
"By the way, i still think xenos must be ABLE to slay humans down by using their speed and strength, and that's something i can't see in the new game, so i still think the original AvP has the best alien-feeling..."

Do you mean that they're supposed to be able to kill armed Marines simply by running head first? Because that's what you were able to do back in AVP1 and AVP2. Certainly nothing of the sort has happened (or even have the potential of happening) in any Alien movies. So stealth based approach for me is still more true to the Aliens.

DeathWraith:
"I guess you think of them in a different way then i, but i assure you, i don't preffer the Aliens xenomorphs to the Alien xenomorph. I always argue FOR the idea that the xenomorph is a very intelligent being, capable of learning and understanding much better than any human or predator, but the way i see it, they use that knowledge to kill. Everything else is optional."

I never said that if you prefer the Aliens version, it means that you think of them as unintelligent. Far from it, as Aliens does have its moments that shows the Xenomorphs capable of learning (like being able to cut the power, Queen using the elevator etc).

The difference I'm talking about is in behavior. Where Giger's Xenomorph is stealthy and stalks its prey by blending in with the background of the Nostromo, slowly waiting for the right moment (similar to how they play in the new AVP2010); the ones in Aliens are quick, relentless and charge straight in without waiting (similar to how they play in AVP1 and to a certain extent AVP2).

"Oh, don't worry, i love Starcraft, first time i heard this theory i thought of the Zerg too. If you were here during the few RPGs i took part in, you'd have been able to make a slight connection between my character and Kerrigan. Just like she used Zeratul to kill the Overmind so that the Zerg could grow stronger free of his will, so do i think that without a Queen, xenomorphs would pose a much greater threat by following their own minds."

This is going so off topic but screw it. The Zerg is a race of different species, brought together because of the Overmind and his Celebrates. Without them, they don't become stronger, they fall into complete disarray. Remember when one of the celebrates died and his hive can no longer be controlled. They became useless, a liability and had to be wiped out. Kerrigan can kill the Overmind because she herself has the ability to pick up control where the Overmind left off. Under Kerrigan, they were no more free than they were before. In essence, she's no different than an Overmind taking human form.