FireHunter, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Bloo, the Art Crap thread is unlocked for you, also, you've been doing amazing work! I can't wait to see this done.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

@SR: I don't think there's anyone that doesn't want to be a turtle. But I really appreciate it, that makes me feel good about my art direction.

@FH: Thanks, dude. Could I also ask you to delete every comment in that thread that isn't mine? I'm editing the posts that are already there, but I think I'm gonna make more.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

CHRIST. That first gif of the guy with the robot arm is some of the best animation I've ever seen. Anyone know if that's entirely hand-drawn, or is there some CGI involved? Either way it's impressive.

It'll be interesting to see how you synthesize all those different styles while still putting your own spin on it.

I don't even know. That's from the Ghost in the Shell movies, which are known for having some of the best hand drawn animation ever produced... but they're also notorious for using 3D animation, too. I WANT to say it's 2D, since the GitS franchise's 2D animation is almost always great:

tumblr_miye5r5fi31rrp43ao1_500.gif
tumblr_mcg45tdtjm1qbyh3zo1_500.gif?w=640
tumblr_mto8cufRcH1s4jimso2_500.gif
tumblr_mkr9bba6sD1rvbjx3o1_500.gif
tumblr_mz633wx2lO1qm4heyo1_500.gif

But I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, yeah, it's such a high standard for an amateur like me to live up to, but aiming that high has to get me somewhere, at least.

And even if I'm not animating any of my stuff, I should at least be able to get the coloring style down.

Edit: Ok sorry, I haven't updated Art Crap yet because I'm a writer and going through stuff I wrote months ago makes me want to rewrite the shit out of it (and also, make it even shorter than I had it).

But it will definitely be coming really really soon. And I think it looks a lot better than what was there before.

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

My god I just realized how good Ghost in the Shells animation is for its time.

It looks fucking MODERN man.

badapple24, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I would not mind you using my character

tawganator, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

We would all like to see our character but Bloo has enough work ahead of him all ready.

Shit, yeah. Even though it doesn't really take me that long to draw or write, I'm slow at giving you updates because I completely underestimated just how many drafts and redraws I'd be going through. I'm such a perfectionist and I hate it because even now I'm rewriting/redesigning stuff I'd already gotten done last year. I don't wanna give excuses, but add that in with work + school, and it's a big pain in the ass.

Good news (or bad), though: the only reason I haven't edited Art Crap is because of ONE goddamn section that I can't seem to write correctly. It's not the HTML coding, which is all nicely in place - it's that I can't adequately describe something that I KNOW will be a deal breaker to a lot of people if I don't say it right.

Everything else for the first post is good, though. I think the new version of Art Crap is a hell of a lot better on the eyes than before. I added "jump links" to make navigation easier, descriptions are shorter and make more sense, and I'll be adding "hide/show" buttons for long strings of drawings.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys are still with me on this.

Well, I know I'm definitely not the go-to guy, but just know that if you need help getting said deal-breaker into words just Skype me.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Right, like Dronehive, if I can be of any service just give me holler on Skype.

That means a lot, guys. Sorry I didn't say this a few days ago, I probably should have told you before edited Art Crap. Anyway, Art Crap isn't Art Crap anymore. A few things are missing from this update:

- There's currently no art in the thread, since the only thing I have posted right now is the intro post, and... there was no need for art in that post.

- You're gonna see a lot of Click here to skip to...'s that don't actually lead anywhere. That's because the sections they're meant to lead to don't exist yet.

I'm currently rewriting the text and reformatting the HTML of the next few posts, which will also be coming really soon. I hope Art Crap 2.0 is easier on your eyes.

HOLY FUCK YOU ADDED A SHITTON!

This Universe of yours is becoming tangible and understandable and concrete at last. It looks reeeaaaaaalllllllly good Bloo.

Yeah, for a long time I kept debating whether or not I wanted to make it the big stupid crossover it is right now, which is why the only concrete thing I had for a while was a basic outline of events (the whole thing is planned out) and a general guideline of characters. Now that I'm fully confident it's a crossover, all the finer details have been coming together nicely.

By the way, what do you all think of it being a crossover with other things? It's fan-fiction, so I didn't think the risk was that big of a risk at all, not to mention the fact that AVP is already crossover, so yeah... I just went for it. It's a big crossover. I think it'll work. Well, I want it to work.

Bloo, I think if anyone here can do it, it's you.

(anyway, I think it's brilliant, but then again, I wrote a 2001 and Alien crossover.

Nah, actually, I can see that working. I mean, every crossover is pretty much stupid by default because NOTHING can work together 100%, but it's not what you write, it's how you write it.

That's what I tell myself, anyway, just to convince myself that this whole thing isn't stupid. So far it's been working.

Edit: I realize you can't just stick literally anything together, like Care Bears Versus Metal Gear Solid, but... you never know, I guess. There's a lot of creative people out there. My crossover isn't that extreme, but yeah.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

In any case, there will always be things like this to inspire you.

EDIT:
>Frequently Asked Questions
>Why anime style?

Bloo, I'm starting to get the feeling that you're the only one who asks that question frequently, because I've only seen it asked like 3 times and I believe two of those times it was by you.

On the off chance that a new member gets furious about it, I'm prepared to just send them to the first post instead of arguing about it, 'cause I'd rather not. Really though, my biggest concern these days is whether or not the crossover thing will work out like I planned. Whether or not the drawing style is adequate honestly isn't a thought that comes up anymore. If thoughts about my art DO come up, it's stuff like, "Wow, this is getting better. Nice. This is cool. This is COOL"

Anyway, that "Why anime?" section in the OP's been there for 6-8 months, so I've just kept it (I occasionally edit it, but I edit everything). Edit: I just realized you linked to something and there's no way that's for real, it's not a masterpiece like Quarter-Life or My Immortal that makes you question your existence.

Edit: I edited Info Thread a little bit. I've clean up the Intro section to further clarify what this whole project is supposed be to me and to the site. Later I'll rearrange and clean up Section 1. Section 4 is still being cleaned up.

Artwork will be added to Info Thread when sections 5-7 are posted, but it'll all be stuff you've already seen. They're placeholders while I go through every single character and concept and finalize everything. Admittedly this will take a few months, but because I'm a perfectionist idiot, it'll hopefully be worth it. (In other words, I'd rather take a few months to release something good rather than posting something shitty every week. Actually... I'm pretty sure that's what I did back when this first started - I would post a new sketch every few days even though they sucked ass, and I don't wanna go back to that.)

Hope this doesn't bother you guys. I'm looking at posting Section 4 by Sunday night (Alaska time), so there's that.

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Bloo do you not feel like you're putting more into the format of the thread explaining the project than the actual project?

I'm just curious since we dont see much from the process of creation.

(Sorry for the wait, I had a long day today and I just watched a movie I didn’t exactly plan on seeing ANYWAY)

Here’s a little bit about my process:

Before I draw anything that isn’t practice, I have to write about it. The more I write about it, the more a potential design gets fleshed out in my head. When I’m comfortable with what I have, I leave that document alone for a few months while I work on other ideas. It’s not exactly part of the process to strictly leave them for a few months, it just… sorta happens, ‘cause I have so many other things to write about.

2014-06-1120_56_32-Greenshot_zps0a336086.png

Anyway, those documents are technically done at that point, but being the person that I am, I just HAVE to rework the idea when I look at it a few months later. Think of my current reformatting and rewriting as just another draft. I’m not just cleaning it up; I’m also expanding on everything and giving a lot of my old ideas more depth or detail and all that. I just like going over things I have done to see if it’s what I want.

That’s why I rarely ever have a final design for you to see – I don’t want you to see a version of something that might not even be close to what its final design is going to look like. It’s true that it only takes me 3-5 hours to get something drawn and colored, but that’s not the only factor to consider. For example, I regret showing you the Chiropteran and Dragon so early, and I especially regret showing you guys the humans, but I showed them to you anyway because I know you needed proof that I was doing something. (I don’t regret it because I think the art is bad, I actually still like the old art. Nah, I regret it because they all look different now.)

Anyway, here are some of the drawings I kept or am working on:

2014-06-1120_25_45-Greenshot_zpsc28bd328.png
2014-06-1120_29_08-Greenshot_zpsc2989a23.png
2014-06-1120_30_57-Greenshot_zps5ae56863.png
2014-06-1120_33_33-Greenshot_zps0c763f35.png

I admittedly don’t start a lot of Xeno or Predator pieces these days (and have kept absolutely no Predator pieces since December), I’m not gonna make up any excuses for that. The writing for those two species has been going strong, though.

tawganator, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

oh my god the finished look on those are fricking amayzing.