Gaunt, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

There is now a 'snippet' of gameplay available to watch.

Colonial Marines gameplay

All I can say is looks good, happy about some additions they seem to have made, remember that it's just a demo.

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Holy balls! That was AWESOME!

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I just watched the gameplay walkthrough of this. The blood splatters on the screen I could do without.

So far, my thoughts on this are mixed, but leaning slightly toward the this might actually be good side. I know it's a work in progress, so that some of the minor things (the aforementioned blood on the screen, character movement, that goddamn Crusher or whatever the hell - back to this later) will undoubtedly be fixed or thrown out.

Some of my only real complaints are those minor annoyances. And the fact that why are you using that slow fucking power loader to fight a goddamn pack of charging warriors that want to see your balls up your ass through your mouth? (Also a Queen popped up right after the loader in the video blew the fuck up, which was pretty convenient.) If that's the worst I can come up with to really complain about, though, I guess we're in a pretty well-off spot.

It was probably just me, but early in the video there was a Fallout-like vibe to it, and that atmosphere is certainly welcome, if not perfect, in a game like this (at least, during the calm portions of a level). And then there was the action, which was like Left 4 Dead with unlimited sprinting for some reason - there was even a Tank! Er, Crusher.

And that sweet segue between paragraphs brings me back to the thing called a Crusher. This worries me. It's a Tank. Do we really need a Tank? I guess when the xenos drop like your average mook, you need something to fuck your players over with, but still. I wasn't the one playing, so maybe that's why I didn't feel that sense of HOLY SHIT that I do with a Tank or a Super Mutant Behemoth (seeing a Big Daddy walk for the first time while safe was more horrifying). Admittedly I did feel that with the Queen (slow motion entry + ripping someone in two and all), which should be expected.

This not only worries me because of its being unnecessary, but also its being a new alien type. How many others are there? A praetorian would be a welcome comeback as well as dog aliens, but I doubt my toleration will go beyond seeing a pack of snowy owl aliens swooping down upon my unsuspecting online buddy. (Crab aliens though? Sure. Those might offer to be some of the most fucked things I'll ever see. And in water floating with the standard xenos would be a great level.)

Gaunt, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I'm personaly, happy, as long as they explain how the Crusher was created, or to put that simply, what was the host for it?.

I just think back to all the trivia about Xenomorphs taking the characteristics of their hosts (hence the dog runner and predalien).

I expect to see some big, ox type thing. Mabey they'll bring in the kurns again as the host (all though that would be flawed, due to them spawning warriors in AVP extinction, but they did make an appearance in the latest film, Predators, who knows?).

Hopefully they'll fix those splodgy blood effects, aliens need to leak more acid on death aswell.

.. As long as it's explained and not completly ridiculous I'm happy. I'll also run around yelling "TANK!!" for the Crusher.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I stopped watching after the "crusher". I'll just call it a Praetorian unless there are also Praetorians. In that case I won't play the game.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

It was welcome for the few seconds I thought it was a praetorian. Then the guy said, "This is a crusher," and I was like, "Wait, what?" and it started crushing the fuck out of everything.

It's a mindless goddamn T. Rex. And it wants to crush you.

What I loved about the queen in Aliens was that it fought like an intelligent being. It moved like an ex-girlfriend in that it was majestic but also a manipulative bitch. And pissed off.