How well would Aliens movie's Marines fare against Predators really?

TDN, Human, 14 years ago

Video games aside, if you were to judge simply by the movies (which had never had Predators going against the Marines we saw from Aliens), how well would you think these Marines with better technology than Dutch's group would do against the Predators?

In my personal opinion, I believe they could've at least done a lot better, maybe even beating the Predator. This is because from what I see, alot of the technology shown by the Marines in Aliens seem like it was almost tailor-made to be used against Predators.

Predator's main advantage is their cloaking device, which allowed him to pick people off one my one while they have no idea where he is. Marines have motion sensors that can pinpoint the Predator's location as well as auto-tracking Smartguns which follow anything that moves. The fact that their guns are more powerful (Pulse Rifles firing explosive, armor-piercing rounds) probably helps too.

What do you think?

mr_loco, Human, 14 years ago

I think the colonial marines would stand a better chance

DeathWraith, Human, 14 years ago

I think you stand a better chance in a one on one versus a predator, because the bigger the odds against him will be, the bigger guns he'll bring. So pretty much the same theory that says Aliens get their asses kicked in numbers worse than alone says that Marines would also get their asses kicked in numbers.

Predator_King, Human, 14 years ago

I think a good Squad of Colonial-Marines can beat Predators easily ! Because sometimes normal Humans without futuristic gadgets have beaten Predators in some Comics. For example(Strange Roux).

Greetings from Germany

DeathWraith, Human, 14 years ago

"Because sometimes normal Humans without futuristic gadgets have beaten Predators in some Comics."

You've never seen the movies huh.

BloodHarpy, Human, 14 years ago

They might have a chance. Movies a based on what I call the "unneeded, likeable, hated and extra" formula.

Chracters in movies who aren't really needed are killed off first usually quickly instead on slow. Likeable chracters uaually go out fighting then die three minutes later if their killer doesn't finish the job, hated chracters usually die the most painful death's of all like being facehugged, impailed on the end of a spear, set on fire or impailed by a Xenomorph. The most likeable chracters usually two or three usually survive the experience with minnor injuries. Like in Predator Dutch was banged up pretty bad and the girl Ana was just a liitle in shock.

Or in AVP, Alexa was just sore after being kicked and then being flug into the ground by the queen.

Mebber, Human, 14 years ago

Hmm, i didn't liked Alexa in AvP, the whole movie i thought: "Why can't you just die!?" :-)

Back to topic:
surely the Marines would bid a good fight to a Pred, but in the end they would loose. Humans are weak, and their improved weapons only make them a bit more challenging prey.

But there is a strange thing about humans, one of one billion seems to be really competent in some way, like Ripley, Harrison or Dutch. They're capable of defeating a Predator.

I call that the "protagonist mistery" ;)

Ok I agree with the last part there. Chracters that have faced off with the antagonist before usually win.

HEY! I liked Alexa the was the only who had a brain in the whole movie! Well her and Scar were the only one's who had brains.

Oh did you know that guy Max who get's nettted int he movie died the same way in Resident Evil only is was laser grid?

Yu just said it, "Well her and Scar were the only one's who had brains."

So she's the only one not completely stupid seems to be no good argument to like Alexa ;). "A one-eyed is the king upon the blind" (i just hope i translated this phrase correctly).

And Scar... he's also quite weak and stupid (compared to other Preds). Get face-hugged while brand himself- pfff.

Hmm. At the end, there seems to be no real impressive char on the whole movie, expecpt the Yautja-Elder in the final sequence...

TDN, Human, 14 years ago

Mebber:

"surely the Marines would bid a good fight to a Pred, but in the end they would loose. Humans are weak, and their improved weapons only make them a bit more challenging prey."

So what you're saying is that a group of Marines equipped with Infrared sights, Motion trackers, Auto-tracking Smartguns (homes in on anything that moves) and Pulse Rifles that fires explosive armor-piercing rounds (not your usual modern machine gun rounds) complete with underslung grenade launchers wouldn't stand a change against a single Predator? Come on, give them a lot more credit than that.

Unless the Predator brings some really big guns and he has to be just as crafty as the original Predator, not like the Predators we've seen of late. I hate to say it, but the Predators ever since Predator 2 have been relying more on their technology and weapons instead of wit.

Yeah motion-trackers and smartguns are very effective against preds, but this advantage is quite fragile.

In installations and buildings these tools function very well, but in a jungle -a preds favorite hunting ground- their technic would be mostly useless.

Dozens of little animals moving through the underwood, countless flexible objects like the limbs and leafs of trees (all these things would irritate the motion-trackers and the smartgun-tracking systems as well), a unclear landscape which allows a skilled pred to cloak WITHOUT cloaking device... and, of course, many trees. Trees are impassable to humans, but they're a perfect hunting route for a Yautja...

TDN, Human, 14 years ago

You do make a good point, and I guess the setting and environment plays a good part in this. But even in the jungle, you still can't be sure that every single Predator know how to take advantage of this. The first Predator I'm pretty sure would do as well as you say, but if we were to put someone like Chopper or Celtic from AVP (considering how reckless and overconfident they are) I don't think they'll do well, even in a place that Predators would thrive. So I guess it depends on the Predator as well.

It also depends on the individual Marines. Not every USCM is as though as Vasquez or Hicks.

Well, a Squad formed of elitary USMC-Veterans surely would kill an unskilled Predator in his own hunting ground, but maybe not without a loss.

I think the first encounter with a pred would be the most dangerous moment in a Marine/Predator conflict, cause the Marines don't know what they're dealing with. They're trained in regular military tactics, and their main task is to pacify and secure the outer colonies. Their whole troop arrangement focus on a fast, hard strike. They are not assigned for guerilla operations, and that's a great disadvantage.

But if a Marinesquad could survive and win their first battle with a pred, they would become much more effective against preds, cause they could re-shedule their tactics in order to stand up to this new kind of threat...

delta-boy, Human, 14 years ago

So, the 9th Colonial Marines from the film Aliens, against a blooded hunter.

MARINES:

*Weight in numbers.
*Infra-Red.
*Auto tracking Smart-Guns.
*Motion Sensors.
*10mm light armour piercing rounds. (99 in each mag)
* + support in the form of an APC, a UD4 drop-ship + a Carrier in orbit. (Sulaco)

YAUTJA:

*Highly skilled.
*Superior strength.
*Speed.
*Weapons.
*Cloaking abilities.

I'd say the Corps could take a Pred down, loss of squaddies depending on surroundings and such. EG - officers, personalities, are the Marines themselves bad-ass Kanji's or just some green-horns?

tawganator, Human, 14 years ago

A bunch of heavily armed grunts against one Predator lets say from Predator 1 or 2: the grunts mite win.

A bunch of heavily armed grunts against a fully experienced Warrior thats not here for a little hunting trip: the Predator wins with out a scratch.

TDN, Human, 14 years ago

Mebber: You know the whole thing you said about them being able to fight better if they had more knowledge of the Predators? It makes me wonder why doesn't any Marines depicted in AVP games ever have any knowledge of Predators so they're more prepared. Especially if people have seen Predators before in the movies. Other than that, I agree with most of your points.

delta-boy: Well I did say a group of Marines like the one we see in Aliens, so I'd say a mix of elites like Hicks, Vasquez, Drake (hell even Ripley came close in the finale) and less competent ones like Hudson, Apone. Although I'll probably replace Gorman with a much more capable LT, cause leadership is important in situations like these.

tawganator: Are you implying that the Predator in the first movie was not a fully experienced warrior? Because he showed me more skill, craft, and experience than any of the Predators we've seen in the other movies (contrary to what Anderson may have said).

killswitch, Human, 14 years ago

The colonial marines motion sensors would certainly have helped against a predator.

It really depends on the circumstances, both pictures feature the marines initially getting fucked in the ass as a direct result of 'surprise element'.

Do the marines know the predators are on the prowl, or are they aimlessly wondering around wondering what the hells going on?

black_warrior, Human, 14 years ago

I believe that the USCM would stand a better chance because of their tech against a pred.
Motion sensors would help a great deal, and the smartgun's tracking...

However, it's not always to say that against a predator, someone who has won once will always win.

actually, this starts another topic for me, so I will create it.

Ok the marines would lose BIG TIME if they go against Scar or Wolf. Nuff said.

IceNeko, Human, 14 years ago

The Corps would lose if they were going against warriors like Scar or wolf. They would stand a chance, now if it was Chopper who in my opinion the stupidest predator ever and Celtic who was the slowest one the corps would win and just lose like two or three guys.

TDN, Human, 14 years ago

Why does everyone think Scar or Wolf are any good? Both of them never did anything impressive. Scar killed some Aliens sure, but he didn't even fought Grid and only managed to kill a couple of normal Aliens with his Plasma Caster, which is something even 2-3 ordinary Marines would have been able to do. And after that? He gets impaled and killed by the Queen.

Wolf was the same, managing to kill only normal enemies like unarmed civilians, and Aliens that were weaker than the previous Aliens. I mean, these Aliens get killed by handguns, knocked down by being punched and don't do anything while Wolf was holding them bare-handed. And he does this while relying on his massive amounts of weapons like spears, whip, caster, mines etc. He didn't even kill the Predalien.

Neither of these 2 Predators managed to show any wit, guile or skill. They're only able to do what they did (and even then their record isn't anything to brag about) because they have the bigger guns. In fact the only Predator that showed this was the first Predator, who managed to kill an elite squad of soldiers with only very short wristblades and a small plasma caster.