Creatures in the AVP universe...

Pureblood, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

Ok, it works like this you post a picture or link of a deadly or otherwise creature or what you think creatures would look like in different environments in the AVP universe, these creatures should be rare and not well known in other franchises.

Shadowwall, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

I think i'll pass srry ^^

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

I don't really understand what you mean.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

Yeah, me neither. Care to be a bit clearer?

predatorgirl, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

that is confusing
do you mean diffrent alien strains or something?

Pureblood, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

Post a picture of a creature that you think COULD be in the AVP universe, if there's aliens & predators why not something else, post pics and ideas.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

Ah, I see. One of the things that I always liked about the Alien/Predator "universe" is that it isn't teeming with life. Habitable planets with life are RARE.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing something suitably weird-looking walking/floating/slithering about in the background in a future film, provided it didn't distract from the Xenos or Preds.

What I DON'T want to see are Dinosaurs with 3 eyes, or giant bats, or some other generic space monster.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

Imagine the AvP franchise would be like Star Trek or Stargate, with plenty of habtitable worlds "just around the corner", including yellow suns, green plants, a earth-like gravity and moderate temperatures. Wow, that would really suck.

But there are other lifeforms in the franchise, we just haven't seen them yet. They're mentioned in the Colonial Marines Manual and are refered by Hicks in Aliens ("aww, just another bug-hunt...").

SG1 had 214 episodes. Even assuming that there's a new planet in every episode, that's only 214 habitable planets in a galaxy of hundreds of billions of stars. What the hell are you talking about there, Mebber? Did you expect the stargates to be on planets where nothing can live?

Haha, I knew you would jump in to defend this show.

"that's only 214 habitable planets in a galaxy of hundreds of billions of stars"

As far as i know, actual (and probably very vague) estimates speak of 500 million planets in our galaxy within the goldilock-zone, but that doesen't mean they're all teeming with life. There are many more factors which are important for planetary habitability, like mass, orbit and rotation, geochemistry, seismic stability, the elements a planet composites of and of course it's stars radiation output. It's like a lottery: you've got a good chance one of these points are supporting life, but the odds that ALL of them fits are very low.

"Did you expect the stargates to be on planets where nothing can live?"

Why not, unhabtitable planets can be mined too.

But let's assume a good part of these 500 million planets are actually habitable. "Habitable" doesen't mean a planet looks like Uncle Toms vacation resort with nice forests, plashy streamlets and bambi hopping over the nice green veld. A meager rock with thin air and partly toxic but fluid water and a few microbic lifeforms would still be considered as "habitable", and astronoms would have a climax if they'd actually find a planet like this.

But many planets in Stargate aren't just habitable, they're perfect copies of earth, even the suns are yellow so the planets have nice green plants.
And all these nice planets even doesen't seem to be something special. They're presented like something regular.

"Oh hey, just another exoplanet looking like colorado, habitated by a few primitives. Well, nothing of value here, let's go."

It's a matter of presantation, earth-like planets should be something rare and extremly valuable.

All i say is Stargate isn't a very good SciFi show in this area. I liked it nevertheless, since it succeeded in other areas.

But you see, Mebber, the reason why Stargate planets are perfect copies of Earth and not, say, of Io, is because it was filmed on Earth. I'm sure that if they had the budget to film on Io, they would have made some of the planets look like perfect copies of Io. Plus, out of 500 million planets, 200 is still a pretty low number. 200 is 0.00004% of 500 million. You don't think it's possible that 200 planets in our galaxy have plantlife and all that shit?

Did you just said the only way to make a movie/series not to look like a forest would be to film the movie on another planet?

Wow, Hollywood must have visited countless worlds. The NASA should learn a lesson from them.

No, what i said was that the idea of the Stargate series was that the stargates were placed specifically on planets with conditions where the "ancients" could survive, which implies plantlife and shit like that. They used the budget they had to depict that. It would have probably cost more to build artificial environments for each fucking different planet than to actually film on another planet.

Peterson, Xenomorph, 13 years ago

AVP needs a Chupacabra! Cut and Dry Aliens aint got shit on Chupacabras! EL CHUPACABRA FUCK A BIT UP! Sorry for the caps felt it was needed, but yes indeed add in a chupacabra just take an alien out as it was about to jump so poor unfortunite bastard *Cough shadowwall*cough cough*

Gaunt, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

images.jpg

Imagine watching a Predator completely annihilate a pack of Xenos, then suddenly a seven foot Mothman swoops into him out of nowhere and takes him away, purely because it was attracted to the flashing eyes in the Predators mask or the red aiming laser of the plasma caster.

PvM, now that would be something.

Or you could bring back the Gyro'te from AvP: Extinction, they were fun.