DeathWraith, Yautja, 8 years ago

Happy New Year to y'all too.

Btw how did you like the Christmas episode, DD?

DarkLioness, Yautja, 8 years ago

Well through Hell and depression and some brief unknown illness among other things I kept my promise to my mom. I said I'd survive and I did now I need to continue on and find my way in life.

It feels good to be able to say Happy New Year and mean it. So to everyone here I wish you a happy new year! I genuinely love you all.

concretehunter, Yautja, 8 years ago

Happy new year guys! ^^

Deathdrop, Yautja, 8 years ago

@DW: It was pretty good, and I say that as someone who was never a huge fan of the ridiculously convoluted backstory of River Song. The popping further and further into the future bit at the end was fun.

I don't think the story is convoluted, just the timeline. She's Amy Pond's daughter and due to SOME SHIT she's able to regenerate. And their timelines used to be going in opposite directions, i.e. the first time he met her was the last time she met him (in her sassy old woman form, because they also met when she was a sassy hot teenager or 20-something year old who fucking knows) so the more he meets her, the less she was supposed to know about him, but they decided to fuck that noise because it's too complicated for their overly creative minds.

@DL gj staying alive, I had quite a suicidal episode myself, it wasn't so bad, but it was definitely the worst I've ever felt and the first time I genuinely thought I would need to call a suicide hotline. I don't know what it's like for other people, but I generally keep a calm and rational side of myself through any sort of struggle to help me survive, but this episode was so intense that the day after I actually went through a few hours of no longer knowing which of my thoughts and impressions were rooted in reality so that I couldn't trust even what I knew had been pure logical deductions just minutes before. So if you went through something like that and managed to come out relatively sane, you're a winner.

Y'all better start a new conversation soon cause I'm really getting bored of seeing myself as the last post on the site.

Jurassic World sucked, didn't it? I've been in denial about this for some time now, but I think it might be time to face the music.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 8 years ago

It's okay to like something that sucks, or to defend the one good scene (the dinosaur gangbang) in an otherwise bad movie. I enjoyed it because, um, I don't really know but I liked it more than I hated it.

I haven't seen them all in a while but going by nostalgia, 1 >>> 2 >>>>>> 4 > 3

Edit: I'm finally gonna go see the new Star Wars movie in like 30 minutes. Before that, I rewatched III and here's my new opinion:

V >>>>>>>>>> VI & III >>> IV >> I >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> II

I might rewatch the Matrix trilogy + the Animatrix next. It's been years and if I talk about it, Dave might rise the fuck up out of his grave.

tawganator, Yautja, 8 years ago

I think I put the Jurassic Park movies as 1>4>2>3. Star Wars 7>6>4>3>2>5>1. Rocky 6>4>7>3>2>1>5. Terminator 2>1>4>5>3.

I liked 7 a lot. I also like Daisy Ridley a lot.

I feel like Phasma was really underused and has the potential to be a really dynamic villain -- or, at least more than Jango and Boba were -- so I'm excited to see what she does in the future. Since Jango and Boba Fett were way underused, I want Phasma to actually do something other than looking cool, which is all that Boba Fett ever did. His dad at least killed people and fought Obi-Wan and lived; he only died later because he was fighting Samuel L. Jackson (and because Jango happened to be holding the Idiot Ball in that scene, I guess). Meanwhile, Boba Fett didn't do anything except die. He didn't even capture Han, that was all Vader. When it came to actually doing something, Boba got one-shotted by Han Solo while Han was blind and not even facing him. I really hope Phasma does more than that.

@DH: I thought the flaws weren't all that bad. Definitely could have fleshed out Kylo Ren more to give more weight to his relationship with his parents, and Snoke is a dumb name -- they should have just called him Darth Plagueis -- but overall, it's good.

@Tawg: "2>5" Dude...........

Edit: Oh yeah, the Deadpool movie looks goddamn terrible.

Dronehive, Yautja, 8 years ago

Bloo, Boba didnt die...

I rewatched the Matrix trilogy last year and I remember the second one being pretty boring. Not sure about the third one. Also I think I've only seen Jurassic Park 1 and 2. Has anyone else seen Ex Machina?

Reloaded was my favorite when I was like 12 but that's probably because I was 12. I don't remember anything from that movie other than the Burly Brawl and those weird Newgrounds flash animations from Legendary Frog.

Anyway I heard Ex Machina is pretty good.

@DH: I know he's not technically dead, but he's like a dude who's trapped in a cage with 14 bears and a shark -- he's technically alive, but he's pretty fucking dead. So unless he pulled a Darth Maul in some EU thing I'm never gonna read...

Edit: You know who should pull a Maul, though? TR-8R should pull a Maul.

Oh my God, the Star Wars EU... Where the most insignificant background extra who was on screen for 0.2 seconds was a Wookiepedia page the size of the goddamn phone book.

That's so funny because I was just on Wookiepedia to see if he did survive somehow (and he did by flying out or something), but there was a hell of a lot more on that page than I remember seeing in the movies.

But anyway I found out that the EU just got split up into two continuities: An actually canon thing where Darth Maul pulls a Darth Maul with his brough, Savage Oppress (which is also the name of the local Young Republicans' Club), and a thing called Star Wars Legends, which is where Boba Fett lived for like 40 more years and Kylo Ren never existed.

Basicaly everything from the EU is now Legends and the only stuff considered canon is all movies and tv shows like the clone wars and rebels and whatever comics that has been released after Disney "hail" bought star wars from Lucas.

And yes I do like 2 better than 5 and I might even put 1 over it as well. I really never liked 5 as a kid.

Dronehive, Yautja, 8 years ago

Can I just be honest and say Star Wars is sorta meh?

I mean, its cool, but its a generic Hero's Journey.

I think what you're experiencing is Seinfield is Unfunny.

"There are certain shows that you can safely assume most people have seen. These shows were considered fantastic when they first aired. Now, however, these shows have a Hype Backlash curse on them. Whenever we watch them, we'll cry, "That is so old" or "That is so overdone".

The sad irony? It wasn't old or overdone when they did it. But the things it created were so brilliant and popular, they became woven into the fabric of that show's genre. They ended up being taken for granted, copied and endlessly repeated. Although they often began by saying something new, they in turn became the status quo. It's basically the inverse of a Grandfather Clause taken to a trope level: rather than being able to get away with something that is seen as overdone or out of style simply because it was the one that started it, people will disregard it because it got lost amidst its sea of imitations even though it paved the way for all those imitators. That is, a work retroactively becomes a Cliché Storm."

It's like, um -- it's like how the Opening Crawl is super lame if you do it in your power point or "Top 10 Anime Fights" video, but when you see it on the big screen in a Star Wars movie for the first time in over 10 years, it's like, "YES! NICE!" It sure wasn't the first space opera or the first movie to do any of the stuff it does (including laser swords and the Force), but it's the first thing we think of when we do think of that stuff.

I really wish I watched the original trilogy in theaters without any prior knowledge of them. The ending of V apparently blew so many peoples minds that they felt the need to tell goddamn everybody about it. Lots of people even doubted it, like they theorized Vader was lying about being Luke's dad just to get Luke to trust him more, and it's crazy because that makes complete sense; it was some serious shit.

That kind of reveal would be really cliche nowadays, but cliches are only cliche because they're all (poorly) copying a better example of what they're trying to do (and so many people are (poorly) copying it that it just becomes stupid). Like, lots of stories have laser swords, but none of them are as iconic or as unique... or as integral to the story of the thing they're in, so now laser swords are almost lame. It's like the Opening Crawl thing. It's the Opening Crawl Effect.

It's kinda like the elemental bending from Avatar. There are billions of examples of element manipulation -- controlling fire, water, etc -- but none of them are as unique or important to the story as Avatar's bending is. It sure as hell wasn't the first thing to ever do Cool Fire Powers, but it's the first thing I think of when I think that.

Edit: Hmm, another good example is Godzilla. He's not the first kaiju and most of his movies are pretty bad from a writing standpoint (especially the Showa era), but his movies are so enjoyable and the monster himself is so unique and iconic that there's a reason kids today still know what the name "Godzilla" means. Of course, he's probably not that unique now since he's a victim of the Opening Crawl Effect/Seinfield is Unfunny, but yeah.

badapple24, Yautja, 8 years ago

I personally enjoyed The Force Awakens, not nearly as much as 4, 5, or 6, but The force awakens had too much nostalagia, they re used a lot of material from IV to fill in the story, instead of creating their own. I mean, the knights of Ren was an interesting topic, and they didn't give us a whole lot to go off of in terms of who is Rey's parents, but it was still very good otherwise. Lots of action and humor. I enjoyed it enough to see it twice.

I see the force awakens as a sort of introductory film to the new generation to bring them into the franchise. Letting them see what made star wars great. Cause let's face it, 4-6 where great back in the day but the younger spoon fed, over indulged, desensitized, anything old sucks generation probably wont go out of their way to watch them.

I was going somewhere with this but for the life of me I cannot remember where. 50rry