questions on aliens and predators

shadowatching, Undefined, 17 years ago

this is not a clan request this is were you would post any and i mean any questions about aliens or predators

lasciate ogni speranza voi ch' entrate

Crow, Undefined, 17 years ago

*clears throat* Well...they certainly aren't bugs. I can say that right now.

Xenomorphs appear to have an exoskeleton, but if you do look carefully you will see that their hide is still covered with flesh. Their exoskeleton is not directly on the surface, but rather lies beneath the skin. They also exhibit classic endoskeleton structures, such as a rib cage.

Their arms and legs are actually anything but bug-like. Because their "exoskeleton" (which I simply dub as a "mesoskeleton" because it is neither an exoskeleton nor an endoskeleton) lies beneath the surface, their arms and legs clearly cannot be defined as segmented.

They also have to possess a closed circulatory system, and cannot have the freely flowing system which insects have. If they didn't, their bodies would not recieve the blood circulation which they need, and the xenomorphs would die upon growing too large.

Furthermore, their arms and legs are more mammalian in nature, posssessing multiple digits and only two joints before the hand, unlike the classic three exhibited by insects.

The xenomorphs only hold a relation to insects in that they possess a caste system very similiar to termites. That aside, their behavior is very, very different: xenomorphs clearly exhibit a drive for self-preservation, something which termite workers and drones do not do. Also, their hunting tactics are entirely different, as is their behavior towards others within their own brood.

It is much easier to compare their behavior to that of a pride of lions or a solitary big cat, depending on how many xenomorphs there are.

If anything, xenomomorphs can only be defined as an invasive parasite.

Just because they have a large brain does not necessarily mean that they are extremely intelligent. The blue whale has a brain which weighs 6 kg and yet it is much less intelligent than we are. Brain size not only relates to intelligence, but also the organism's nervous responses and sensory capabilities, among other things.

A xenomorph's brain is so large because the majority of their brain is dedicated to sensory use. They are intelligent, but as I have said, their intelligence is comparable to that of a dolphin.

Crow_04.jpg
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

I once said that Xenomorphs are bugs. And i still say that xenomorphs are bugs. they have a bug-like bahaviour, a bug-like exoskeleton, their limbs can be fractured in segments just like the limbs of bugs can be fractured. Even Eisenberg, who was studying them, said they were bugs. That does not mean that they don`t have minds of their own and that they don`t think! Because, if u haven`t noticed yet, they have mighty big heads full of brains! And that SHOULD make them more intelligent than boath humans and predators, cause they have a bigger brain mass compared to the body mass than humans and predators, but anyway, it seams that they`r not... And you can tell that they are intelligent by the way the drones escaped in alien rez. They designed a strategy and used it perfectly.

DW.png
From the depths of the great Metal Sea we come to restore equalty...

i only ask out of wondering u know i ask and i put this up here because of me and stalker talking and i ask all of u because u seem to be a bit more knowadeable on the aliens sort of thing then i am so thats y i as u (*tilts head*) ok?!

i will tear your soul apart -hellraiser lasciate ogni speranza voi ch' entrate

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are like ants nor like frogs. They have many distinct differences, and I have yet to see any evidence which suggests that they change genders. Please back up your claims with eligible proof.

As for your question, you should find everything you need to know (based on my own reasoning) in here: http://www.alienvspredator2.com/comments/11675.html

Crow_04.jpg

to me aliens are like ants always gathering and tending to the eggs and the queen not always mindless because they can be like frogs too and change a male to a female but heres my question for that how do an alien pick someone to be queen??

For the most part, Bloo is correct. However, I wouldn't even go so far as to consider the xenomorphs to be "dumb"

They are not able to speak english, this is true, but they are obviously able to communicate. That is, amongst other things, the reason why they are so vocal. While their hisses, screeches, and other noises may sound like nothing but beastial noises to us, it is obviously their own form of communication, even their own language. This act of communication can be seen not only in Alien: Resurrection, but also in Aliens and AvP.

So, while the xenomorphs may certainly not be as technologically advanced or intelligent as humans, I believe their level of intelligence to easily be comparable to that of dolphins: they can communicate with one another, actively cooperate, and possess a basic understanding of technology.

Crow_04.jpg

nostromo, Undefined, 17 years ago

jeez crow thats alot! and ur right. einstien ( i no i spelled that wrong) had a small brain, but he was really smart.and i find the only relation between a ant and xenos is they have a hive, and they have a queen.

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Predator Race
How long they've been around is something no one may ever find out. It's one of those things that never get answered.

As for Aliens being intelligent...

Maybe Predator fans (hell, anybody who has seen the movies but aren't a real fan) may think that Aliens have no thoughts at all, and are just brainless killing machines. I'll tell you something. THEY'RE WRONG.

Of course the Xenomorph species is intelligent. They might not be able to talk, making them dumb (yes, for those who don't know, the real meaning of dumb isn't stupid, the meaning of dumb is not having the ability to talk), but they sure as hell know what they're doing, and they can plan it out as well.

Take this example from Alien Resurrection... the three Aliens trapped in the box "discussed" what would happen next, and they sort of devised a plan of how to get out of there. Killing the runt of the three, the acid from the body was used to escape, thus making humans scared like a little kid is to the Boogyman.

The Queen, being the most intelligent of the species, doesn't just pick a spot and starts "laying" her eggs. Well, you know what I'm trying to say.

The Warriors in ALIENS seemed senseless at first, but as you see further into the movie, they actually tried to ambush the humans (and various other things)- being as human as the humans were, they had a motion senser handy and were able to counter this.

The Superfacehugger of Alien 3 (very beginning) waited for the right moment to strike.

I think that, the most disgraceful of the entire Alien species was the Queen in AVP. Not only did she look like she was signifying she was free to the humans by running mindlessly through the halls and stomping like it was the 4th of July celebration after-party, she attacked head on without really thinking of the consequences.

Second to that was the Newborn. Not only do I hate it more than year-old tuna casserole with a side order of moldy fries dopped in oatmeal, but it just plainly speaks for itself, with its look, its acts, and most of all, its look.

I am a Machina-Alien! (Mok-In-Uhh)

00Bloo_sig02.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the mental house just got caught."

predalienking2, Undefined, 17 years ago

how long has the pred race been around? and are aliens actully itellagent{parden my spellling}.

i've got a face that'll scare the devil,,dead.

Well, it's really hard to say because we do not know what the yautja's biological lifespan ("natural" lifespan) is.

However, because they are technologically advanced, it can be assumed that they live for a very, very long time.

As Darkblade said, organisms which live longer tend to reproduce less. However, there are certain exceptions, such as with termites. In termite colonies, a single queen lives for around ten years and lays millions of eggs.

If I were to guess, I would imagine that the yautja do seldom reproduce, and/or their act of reproduction takes an incredibly long period of time (like elephants).

However, there is still a slim chance that they could just be extremely sparse in number, and actually reproduce at a fairly frequent rate.

Crow_04.jpg

ok let me redo this it suxs because ...
u know the jap.s could only (along time ago) have one kid untill they go to war then they could have 2 maybe 3 and thats just streatching (cant spell) it now here in the u.s. the usual house hold has more then 4 kids (my friend has 10 siblings from the same parent) so if preds has one kid per human span thats may be 5 kids( is i am doing my math right) but i dnt know how long they live in years form

Well, long lived species normally don't breed a lot (do they crow?) and short-lived species breed like mad, I mean rabbits only live 10-20 years and they go crazy, and as for bugs (which usually last only a week) they MAKE SURE that they lay eggs of some sort.

I mean elephants live quite a while, and from memory the don't have too many kids.

0.jpg

that is freaking sad so that means if we compare earth to just the 2 clans here that in reality earth *** could**** beat up pred.s thats is not kewl they (pred) needs to up the sex so that atleast they could have more hunts but too many is not kewl either wow think of all the virgins hmmmmm

I think I saw it on the hunted, hang on a sec and I'll check.
EDIT: "Individual females would probably birth every few decades and be very particular about the father"

Once every few decades is quite slow, a lot slower than how often a human can breed.

"It is assumed only one female in a pack becomes pregnant, usually the dominant female, but sometimes two or more females may breed."

Only one or two predators per clan falls pregnant? That means only one or two kids evert 30 years or so. Which is real slow, it's unknown how many clans there are, howevever. I mean there's two on this site alone! (lol j/k)
0.jpg

i thought i was different on the kids i thought that they had a lot of kids huh who would know and know where they found out that information

Well, i remember hearing from somewhere that yautja have a lot less kids than humans do, so perhaps not, and besides, yautja are patient, they'd probably wait for the next blooding trial or whatever.

0.jpg

Mishmuf, Undefined, 17 years ago

Do you guys think that the Yautja have more ritual pyramids then the one on Earth? I'd make more sense because you don't really believe that the Yautja have their young come of age after 100 years. They probably have Yautja come of age every year.

MishmufSig.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

It's actually quite surprising to view the level of intelligence that certain animals possess. Chimpanzees for example can actually determine whether they are being sadistic or not, & have actually been known to be be intentionally malicious towards other creatures. there have even been cases where they have tortured other animals, even others of their own kind, by violently tearing into the most sensitive areas of their body to inflict the maximum amount of pain, while still keeping the victim alive. In some cases they even work in groups, with others holding the victim down, & a single individual administering torture.

Whether Xenomorphs possess this level of intelligence is unknown. The facts from Alien Resurrection may not be entirely feasable, as those particular Xenomorphs had been granted an increased level of intelligence, due to the Human DNA which was passed on during Ripley's cloning process. Overall though, Xenomorphs as a whole are quite intelligent. They are smart enough to coordinate attacks & ambush their prey. Although many animals in the wild are also capable of such action.

One thing which stands out for me though, is in Aliens, when the creatures manage to sever the power to the complex in Hadley's Hope. It seems to me that they must possess a fairly high degree of intelligence to be able to perform such a feat. The Queen is obviously quite intelligent also, as she managed to work out how to use an elevator, & in AVP she was smart enough to call her brood to her, & wound her, so her acidic blood would eat through the chains which held her.

While Xenomorphs don't possess intelligence quite as high as Predators or Humans, they are obviously still fairly intelligent, & the furthest thing from being mindless killing machines.

thorndesignssig.jpg

Mishmuf, Undefined, 17 years ago

Isn't is basicly what the forum is for?

MishmufSig.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

this u can go off topic for example i asked in another site how much does a drone weigh and what does the marking mean on each pred.?

lasciate ogni speranza voi ch' entrate