43. 7.7 Evil Dead II (1987) 21,780
44. 7.7 The Phantom of the Opera (1925) 2,791
45. 7.7 The Uninvited (1944) 1,152
46. 7.7 Cape Fear (1962) 5,298
47. 7.7 The Wicker Man (1973) 8,879
48. 7.7 Locataire, Le (1976) 3,877
49. 7.7 Freaks (1932) 6,281
50. 7.7 Dracula (1931) 6,382

Universal Affliction: The best site on the Web ;)
Liquid GFX:Graphics central of the Universe;)
jbfjjjhrh.png

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

I am truly sorry, Dave. I didn't mean to directly call you ignorant. I said it seemed as though, how you revieved Freddy because it seemed you didn't know much. I am very sorry, Dave.

To say A Nightmare on Elm Street was cheap is funny, I could go on about Halloween but I am not saying this a matter to start a fight, only my true feelings and opinions. The movie wasn't about the gore, it was the horror of dreams. Everyone has them and it is a fact that people die from a level of fear in their dreams and have happened many times in the past. The is true which makes it terrifying vs a mass murderer/stalker that can't die because "he's the boogyman".

I have seen TCM catogorized before as a slasher but that isn't the main focus of the movie. It isn't an all out slasher yet it does have the same material a slasher has.

And you say that you would rather be in a situation of being hunted by a family of cannibles in the middle of no where, that will torture you in countless ways, than be stalked by a very cunning killer that would kill you very quickly literally before you know it.

I agree that Michael Meyers is a genious. Most crazys' are. I do say that is true horror but so is Leatherface. Look at it in the way I do. Its not only a mentally retarded mass murderer, its a clan of cannibalistic killers. A clan of visually and physically frightening killers that do unspeakable things, not just a quick (like Meyers), appeals to be as more of true horror.

It wasn't Robert Englund who complained about who Freddy was being portayed. Robert was the one portaying Freddy, he was having fun with the character, it was the director who was upset about Freddy. He didn't make the other films, he only directed the first and 7th (Wes Craven's New Nightmare). He worked on the 3rd which I thought were one of the more serious and best of the franchise ironically.

And here's my list;

*Leatherface aka Thomas Brown Hewitt or Bubba L. Sawyer

*Freddy Charles Krueger

*Jason Voorhees

*Michael Meyers (I did not rank him here just because I fought with you about him, I truly do love this character only not as much as the others above.)

-Chucky and the Leapurchuan shouldn't even be on this list.

And again, I am very sorry, Dave. I just was getting to entertained with this. I never disscussed one my favorite passions (with the knowledge I have now) in a long time. I wanted to get things out and clear. I never intended to offend or start a fight. Sorry, Dave.

scarfacecory.jpg
.:Killswitch Forum:.
.:The Chainsaw HOUSE:.
.:Message Board, RPG Rules & Information:.

god_of_blades, Undefined, 17 years ago

Hey i might do that too, i'm a big horror fan and have been watching them since i was four my first horror movie was Warlock The Armageddon. Scared the crap out of me and the second time i watched it but i guees, but i have not watched many of the new horror movies, but i wish i could just have not got the time.... But i don't remember Hong Kong ever being a horror movie....

Gobs_christmas_sig2.jpg

Angus_Alien, Undefined, 17 years ago

As a life-long horror fanatic, here is my list of my absolute favorite, most shocking, and most horrific films of all time (including Alien, Aliens, and Alien3)...

1. Alien
2. The Fly (1986)
3. John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)
4. Halloween (1978)
5. The Evil Dead
6. The Exorcist
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street
8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
9. Aliens
10. American Psycho
11. The Silence of the Lambs
12. Near Dark
13. Alien 3
14. Jaws
15. The Fog
16. The Machinist
17. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
18. The Shinning
19. Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
20. Hellraiser
21. Poltergeist
22. The City of Lost Children
23. Dark City
24. Predator
25. Hannibal
26. Scream
27. Jacob's Ladder
28. Saw
29. Frankenstien (1931)
30. Seven

EDIT: I'm sorry if this could be considered Spam. I couldn't resist the urge to list horror films. :/

Angus.jpg

Deathdrop, Undefined, 17 years ago

Alien beat Nosferatu?! Talk about lasting effect!

deathdrop1.jpg

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

...Shadow, I can't see how the Ring beat Jason...

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the mental house got caught."

shadowatching, Undefined, 17 years ago

no one said anything about any order or did they?
plus audition is actually number 11 if i am not mistaken
Shadowatching_02.jpg

TOTAL DISTRUCTION, I LIVE FOR NOTHING ELSE
http://galvergd.proboards57.com/index.cgi

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

As far as horror movies go, there are far too many for me to name.

thorndesignssig.jpg

He said TOP 50, so I would imagine that it meant in order, but doesn't really matter, I just think Jason is much better than the Ring. Any movie of Jason, of course, except for that one where it was like more of a comedy... I think it was Jason X or something.

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

I thought Jason Goes To Hell was a far worse movie than Jason X. He only spends 5 minutes on-screen throughout the entire film.

thorndesignssig.jpg

Mishmuf, Undefined, 17 years ago

Eh, you can go through only so many Jason movies before you realize that he's just an intelligent zombie (talk about an oxie moron, eh?) with a hockey mask.

Mishmuf_02.jpg *sigh* If only I was witty enough to think of something to say here.

Yeah, I think that's the one that makes me sick. Possibly... but I haven't seen a Jason movie in so long now.

You got to admit, though, Mishmuf, you got to love Jason.

daveberg, Undefined, 17 years ago

Bleh.

Jason is just a poor imitation of the Legendary Michael Myers. The original Boogeyman, the slasher that started it all, and more importantly, the Halloween franchise is worth alot more and has made more money than Friday the 13th.

Halloween, is quite simply, one of the greatest horror movies of all time. One of the most successfull indipendant horror movies ever made.

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

I must disagree with you Dave, it was Leatherface that came before Myers. Technically it wasn't Halloween what started the slasher movies and for the record it was the Jason movies that started the term, "slasher".

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1,2,3,4 + remake and prequel)

The Hills Have Eyes

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1-Wes Craven's New Nightmare)

Silence of the Lambs series

Friday the 13th (all 10 + film being made)

Return of the Living Dead

Night of the Living Dead (and remake)

Land of the Dead

Day of the Dead

Dawn of the Dead (original)

scarfacecory.jpg

Yes, The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre did, in fact come first in time.

But... Dave is correct in that Michael Myers and the original John Carpenter Halloween film was one of, if not the most successful independent film of all time.
Friday The 13th may have started the term "slasher" but Halloween truly began the whole era.

I could never get into Jason Vorhess, as I have always felt he was just a slightly more graphic, yet poorly re-envisioned imitation of the great Michael Myers.

In my book, Myers is second only to Freddy Krueger, as far as my favorite slasher films goes.

WOW... This is so off topic! lol

Angus.jpg

blair witch is the most successful indie film of all time.

avp4.jpg

HuntersMoonMEMBER-byceltic102.jpg

im sure you all know that halloween is being remade ( oh please god no ) but here is a pic of the kid who is going to play myers aged 10 years old.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/uploads/michael21606.jpg

halloween is due for release in august 2007.

avp4.jpg

HuntersMoonMEMBER-byceltic102.jpg

OTANG, Undefined, 17 years ago

Hong Kong is a horror movie?

6d273dbd.jpg
Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

daveberg, Undefined, 17 years ago

You read any review for halloween and it will tell you that it pioneered the 'slasher' genre, not Texas chainsaw. I never said it came before Chainsaw Massacre, only that it itself is one of the most successful INDEPENDANT films of all time.

Jason is an over rated buffon who only has such a high fan rating due to his over exagerrated killing techniques, which personally, i find funny, and not scary in the least. The slasher term was created after the original Hallween due to it's massive Success, Friday the 13th then proceeded to rear it's head and Completely rip off the Halloween franchise.

The Halloween remake will be an absolute hit, the recent remakes of Chainsaw were fabulous, Rob zombie is listening to what the fans ant for the remake and going with their opinions, so, in my eyes, it's gonna be a wet dream come true to see The ultimate horror icon back on the silver scren.

NEWBERG.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

Pfft. Halloween was a quickly made horror flick they did for a few bucks. It turned out that everyone started liking it and there it the franchise grew. I still think The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is what started the "slasher" movie style (not the word "slasher" itself. It never meant to be that, but it was truley successful when it came truley horrifying people. Halloween did not. Halloween was just a killer going to babysitters and butchering them. Nothing compared to what The Texas Chainsaw Massacre did. It made a very solid and bold horror movie. The slashing in that movie wasn't the main focus even though thats where it began. The character and realisticness, itself is greater than what Halloween produces, and the sense of pure horrifying disqusting raw material.

I do admit, I very much enjoy Halloween. I don't listen to what people have to review about, only mine. But Halloween is a very entertaining peice of horror history. Only it isn't the original master of the genre. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre gives off a suspensefull story (even before the killing starts) and sends it into a gruesome insane ride. It blends into a mixture of gore and phycotic character.

I can enjoy some of the Friday the 13th franchise. It did not have the whole realistic horror theme, actualy, but it did give very brutal gore and a good basic story. Yes, the recent Friday the 13th films have gone DOWN HILL! I enjoyed the Jason films from the original to part 6. Those were excellent master peices and in my opinion, ripped Halloween off there, not the recent films of part 7-X. It was the originals that did. They were great. They never drew the line in rediculous killings untill, after part 6. That is where it drew the line. Even then they are very entertaining horror.

But to me, next to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was A Nightmare on Elm Street. Dark, weird, unpredictable and very out there plus creepy settings, a few gore shows, some nice surprises. The story is very uneasy and disturbing. The character is defanetly terrizing. The story is very believible of the part what Freddy use to do and then how he was killed. The dream part is supernatuaral but there it is errie and makes a great chilling mood. But many people dislike Freddy because mostly of Jason and what makes him so famous these days. (Over done kills ect.) And the most annoying reason of people disliking Freddy is that in other's opinion, Freddy appears to be a pussy ranked up to other killers and their franchise. It shouldn't be compared that way but only the character and HIS franchise himself. Because "Jason can beat Freddy!" or "Michael can kill Freddy because Freddy is a pussy with butter knives!" doesn't mean Freddy is any less. I find him more of a character than most of them out there. I honestly don't know who would win, even after seeing Freddy vs. Jason but all in all, Freddy shouldn't be looked at that way but the way I did in my review above and what I had to say about that in my review automaticlly ranks Freddy next to Leatherface, in second place for me.

scarfacecory.jpg

You are all making some nice points, and as much as I agree with some points made by Dave and Cory here, I still cannot get excited about Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he will do a commendable job, he does listen to his fans, which is damn nice. Odds are he will make a very watchable horror film. But the idea of remaking such a beloved classic just turns me off. I mean, it's Halloween... The Halloween!
That would be as bad as remaking Alien or Jaws. Filling them with Lucas-style CGI and current trends and campy acting.
No thanks, I'll stick with John Carpenter on this one.

But I will admit, I loved the Texas Chainsaw remake. :)

Angus.jpg