Invasion

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I was taking my morning dump while thinking about how World War Z has nothing to do with the book, and I thought about the possibility of a Predator or Alien invasion. I'm not talking Independence Day or some "take me to your leader we come in peace" bullshit, I'm talking "massive hunt/infestation."

And this wouldn't be a full-scale AVP war, they would be isolated incidents independent of the other. Do you think this would be feasible with these two monsters (if you don't think so, why not) given everything we know about the way they work?

One way I imagine it is how Falling Skies works. I haven't seen the show myself, but I hear it's sorta complex with a lot of politics involved.

Another way I imagine it is that it wouldn't be a full-scale riot like most invasions are depicted. Predators work in secret, so that's how they'd take over the world - by manipulating governments, killing important figureheads, merging countries, etc. They would make the humans kill each other and not even make themselves known until the last few are standing - exactly like the first Predator film, but on a large scale.

I think it'd be interesting to see it like this.

As for Aliens, I think that's a straight forward "kill them all" invasion, but I honestly gave it less thought.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

It sounds cool to me.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I guess the biggest question is "why?" Why would the Preds, a species that only seems interested on hunting for sport, want to take over Earth?

The only reason I could think would be to turn it into some sort of game preserve (not unlike the one from Predators, but think bigger), which actually sounds pretty cool. As for why they haven't thought of this sooner...

Well, maybe there's a greater chance than ever of global annihilation (be it nuclear, chemical, nanotech, over-pollution, whatever) with human technology advancing at the rate it is. There's only so much room in the universe, and they're not keen on sharing.

So they take over by crippling military, corporate, and government powers across the world, gradually becoming more overt as the situation becomes more and more hopeless for humanity. Not because they're interested in stopping us from destroying ourselves, but because they're sentimental about their old hunting grounds and would rather the freaky-looking monkeys didn't mess it up.

This actually sounds like an amazing RPG.

EDIT: Holy fuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene_rewilding

^ Right, so lets say the preds tolerated the extinction of megafauna because humans were interesting prey for a while. But we have, to be blunt, outlived our usefulness-at least in our present state.

The Preds have an interest in challenging hunting grounds, so let's say they decide to "fix" the rather broken ecosystems of Earth. Except how do you fix an ecosystem when most of the organisms that made it work are already extinct? Simple: You introduce some rough equivalents from elsewhere in the universe.

Cave Bears extinct? Gro'Tyes are close enough.

Missing the Dire Wolf in Europe? How about some Predator Hounds?

You know what these oceans need? A sea monster or two.

You get the idea. This is AFTER they've already caused a widespread societal collapse, obviously.

It's scary how similar my thoughts were. Introduction of monsters, crippling governments, all this for a new hunting ground - even the thought about it being a nice change of pace for our RPGs.

All the while they would stay in the background, watching their plans unfold - they're master hunters, and they know exactly how we, their prey, work.

I'd imagine they'd keep a population of 5000-10,000 underground somewhere, just so that they could keep hunting us if they ever felt like it.

Oh, yeah. I don't think they want us extinct, just... less of a threat.

But I like how much this idea ties into the movies and early (ie: still good) comics, where it's implied that, yes, the governments of the world are aware of them... And in no position to do anything about it. The Preds are so much more technically advanced than we are that there would be no point in fighting.

The military commands of the world have standing orders to leave them be and cover up the evidence. It's not hard to see that gradually being used against us.

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

If this ever becomes an RPG i shotgun being the President. You know the deal, Lizard man in a human suit.

Is World War Z a good read? The Battle Of Hope sounds fucking awesome.

As for a full scale invasion, We have Nukes. Fucking Nukes. Infrared Technology (I think they cant show up on IR?)

With Xenomorphs just watch World War Z and you'll understand how we deal with it. As for Predators a full scale ground assault i feel we'd be very well matched, Ignoring the nuke from orbit factor.

Here's the thing- remember that big orbital laser from AVP? Imagine 15 ships equipped with a similar weapon raking that shit across the surface of the planet a few times.

Quoth The Master: "Basically... End of the world."

By the way, World War Z is great. If you have any interest in zombies at all, you'll love it. Just avoid the movie.

I don't like making the comparison, but the Elites' (from Halo) signature move was "planet glassing," and Predators certainly have the technology to do that. Humanity in that universe was MUCH more technologically advanced than we are and they were still screwed.

Of course, that 'verse was created by the humanity of now, so who knows? But even then, if they were to hit right now, we'd be royally fucked.

I don't think the preds would just up and glass the planet (they need it, after all), but they'd be perfectly willing to wipe out a city or two.

Thing is, I don't think all the Predator clans would necessarily be on the same page here, which could make for some interesting developments...

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I like where this is going.

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Aaahhhh

We need a fanfic. I could write it, if we get the time. I don't know if it would work as an rpg, because it cannot include xenos. That doesn't work.

@DD: Yeah, that sounds right. The one major difference between the two is that Predators hunt humans.

And that "quarreling clans" bit sounds really interesting.

@DH: You should check the clan room soon. Don't worry, nothing serious.

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Lets be honest, The main reason we aren't already 100% fucked is because they probably can't agree on what to do with us and just agreed to leave it be because it isn't worth killing each other over.

krio, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

i think that a pred invasion COULD happen. not to completely destroy us but to merely test us. in the end the humans always win as seen in the movies games and comics. so if the humans would survive the first invasion then preds would hunt them again. why? then there would be less threat to take care off while still hunting good. honor? fuck that! predators don't have an honor code! you know that! thats avp! this is just preds! they would hunt us at their weakest just like real hunters!

shockwave, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

sounds 100% badass awesome to me.

DarkLioness, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Well the whole rewilding theory was quite terrifying. As if the big bad beasts that have died out on this planet weren't bad enough.

Frankly I don't even wanna know what kind of sea monsters the Predators have on their home planet.

^Ok now this has me thinking about the trip to the beach I planned. Not that it's going to stop me from taking a dip in the sea. I'm just don't plane of going way out there. Plus I ordered the book "Jaws" so I'd have some nice literary material to enjoy.

Hunter_Predator, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I've thought of this as well but if you guys want a feasible explanation then I have one for y'all.

What if we go like a Mass Effect route with this? If Predators were considered gods by early human culture then what if they are who makes us where we are? Every time the Human race gets advanced enough that we become a threat to them as the most powerful race then they wipe us out (I.e. the reapers in mass effect) and then humans start over, they leave a few young humans to repopulate and tell their kids of the gods, then the predators come and show human how to build and what it with the pyramids and so forth, and they show us how to hunt so that we become advanced enough to become hunt worthy, we evolved and they adapt (like in Predators) and each time they adapt better and better and how advanced we have to become before they wipe us out grows later and later and that's how they evolve themselves, through us, the most similar species in existence, and the cycle repeats whenever we advance too much.

As for if you want to make this an RPG then let's just say the extermination gets harder on us Yautja this time become so big Xeno hive happens to grow under our radar.

But honestly, don't take my idea lol, I plan to write a fan fic novel or comic on this lol.

The basic premise of that is actually really similar to another idea I had - humans being kept underground and the population/level of technological achievement being monitored so that humans don't ever find a way off the planet.

cystic_warrior, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

they already live among us, we have never been disclosed to the information that people have done a very bad job at covering up over the years so a sanely rational person would be able to figure out for themselves that it is inconceivable for us to be the only intelligent life in the galazy

That's another theory I've considered - we might already be under oppression somewhere living in a Truman Show/Matrix kind of deal, all while there are few who know the truth, or that there are Predators at the very least.

It's not impossible that all of these theories can happen at the same time.

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

So what I am getting here seems kinda like blade runner? Predators among us with malicios intent, but no one can tell the difference. I mean, they could have androids or whataver impersonate influalential humans.