Xenomorph1212, Yautja, 11 years ago

Why the timeline doesn't fit is because Peter Weyland died in AVP but was alive in Prometheus.

jaguargod, Yautja, 11 years ago

AvP was Charles Bishop Weyland. Prometheus was Peter Weyland.

Xenomorph1212, Yautja, 11 years ago

Ohhhhhh, than the timeline does fit.

daveberg, Yautja, 11 years ago

This is why i've always hated crossover genre discussion, it leads into shakey territory.

I absolutely LOATHE the idea of predators being involved with the Xenomorphs, let alone Engineers too.

It's like Superman and Batman. Two fantastic characters which should never have been placed together in any way shape or form.

AvP is wildly considered by most Alien fans as being non canon and a slap in the face to the franchise. The films were basically created as a spin off to appease comic book fans.

Sigourney Weaver herself has verbally damned both films to hell, and Ridley Scott thought they bastardized the Aliens so much he chose to ignore the AvP continuity all together when working on Prometheus.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 11 years ago

The way I tend to look at it is: In Prometheus we discover that genetically humans are very similar to the Engineers. And as we all saw in the movie, the Engineers look like super size, super bulked up humans. The predators on the other hand, and this is supported by some of the games, comics, etc. Have nothing in common with humans or engineers other than the fact that they have two arms and two legs, walking up right...blah.

I think when we see the alien skull in predator 2 it was more or less a hint, but I don't think it was intended to lead to this big historical epic battle bullshit that predators have used aliens for years...Rubbish started by the AVP movie! I'm thinking predators just enjoy the thrill of hunting the deadliest species they can find, and thats it damnit!

So NO the Engineers had no hand in making the yuatja, Stan Winston on the other hand lol.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 11 years ago

"It's like Superman and Batman. Two fantastic characters which should never have been placed together in any way shape or form."

I agree with everything else you said, but that was a strange example. Nolan's Batman wouldn't work with Donner's Superman, certainly, but the characters in the comics have been mixed pretty successfully over the years, Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" being just one example. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it REALLY does.

Anyway, now that I've established my nerd credentials, let me get back on topic-The universes should be kept seperate for one very simple reason:

The Preds have no place in a universe where the Aliens need to be the scariest goddamn things ever. From a narrative standpoint, it just doesn't work.

Xenos cannot ever have set foot on Earth, because Xenos setting foot on Earth HAS to be The End of the World for any of the Alien movies to work. They can't be routinely captured, imprisoned, and hunted like animals.

They can't be common. They can't be popping up all over the place. They can't be getting killed by a regular person with a spear. They can't do these things because for the Alien movies to work, the xenos have to be The Worst Thing Ever, with the Engineers as maybe a close second. They can't do that if infestations can be (and have been) removed from Earth and other places for centuries.

Exactly!

FireHunter, Yautja, 11 years ago

AvP does not fit in the timeline because when the crew of the Nostromo discovered the Alien planet in Alien, it was the first time anyone had seen the alien. If you changed everything to fit with the AvP movies, chances are the crew of the Nostromo would have been more prepared equipment-wise.

Besides, AvP was terrible anyway, more so than Alien: Resurrection. And if they mix the Predators in with the Engineers as well that would be awful, and would probably incur multiple rampages world-wide.

^ But again, I'm sure people could figure out a way to make all that "work" chronologically. My issue is more that the EU screws up the narrative of the Alien movies.

To put it another way, it doesn't matter whether it can fit; it matters whether it should.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

Many excellent points and statements made here. Though I agree with DD on the whole Superman-Batman thing, and I especially agree more with the whole "the Aliens need to be the most terrifying shit in the galaxy to work."

The first Xenomorph was personally my favorite of the bunch for being so foreign. Like the Dogalien that came after, it was seemingly unstoppable, but even worse, I felt it was a demented rapist more than anything else - in this case, one that goes after small children.

Alien 3's Dogalien was scary because it was a new type and still totally foreign. The same can be said about the strains seen in Aliens, namely the Queen for her totally unexpected entrance out of the landing gear and into Bishop's back. They were unstoppable, and things that can't die - things that you can't control - are nightmare fuel.

Resurrection's Genetic Xenomorphs were at least frightening in the fact that they were never supposed to live. The roars they made were uncommon for their kind, and their legs made them look like demons, not to mention their skin color. Their behavior was also just weird; it was clear they wanted to kill, not harvest. They were demented in the way Giger's drone was, the difference being that they were angry, not curious... and that's absolutely terrifying in my opinion.

Like has already been said, that's why AVP doesn't work. You don't sense any of this from the Xenomorphs shown in the AVP movies.
The closest thing to match the above was the Predalien, and in my opinion, that thing lost its coolness when it performed reverse blowjobs on pregnant women. The bellybursters were neat, though.

jaguargod, Yautja, 11 years ago

When I think of AvP, I think of the phrase "You can't polish a turd". But then again, what did Fox really expect when they hired Paul Anderson to direct it? I'm just surpised that Mila wasn't the lead in the film. I wonder if he really understands that he is responsible for one of the, if not the, most ridiculed movies in history. I know that he got paid, and he was laughing all the way to the bank, but as a director, it has to hurt that it was such a vile disappointment with fans.

It's probably a different story when you're there putting all your sweat and energy into a giant project. Let's all try seeing what he saw when he put this shit together. I know I'm on the same boat as everyone else here, but sometimes I feel bad because I know how it feels to put together something I thought was spectacular and have people disappointed in it. He genuinely thinks he did a good job from what I remember seeing in the special features and anywhere else he talks about the film, so it's really just sad.

And besides, it's a shit ton better than its sequel, and entertaining at the very least.

XenoPred321, Yautja, 11 years ago

hay wait if the jockey created the aliens in prometheus than how were their aliens in predator 2 and avp i'm confused?

killswitch, Yautja, 11 years ago

Laughing my ass off at Deathdrop and Dave. :)

badapple24, Yautja, 11 years ago

what would be freaking awesome... if they got James Cameron to direct the avp movies! that would have boosted the biggest two franchises together it was awesome.

... But to get back to the original topic:

Q: Did the Engineers create the Predators?

A: No, because that would be stupid.

XenoPred (and anyone else who keeps bringing this up), let me make it clear that Aliens do in fact exist in the Predator/AVP universe, but Predators don't exist in the Alien universe. Prometheus and the first four Alien films are the Alien universe. Anything that isn't those five films (comics, games, etc.) should be completely disregarded.

There could be a whole different theory behind the creation of Aliens and their use in the Predator universe andJockeys may even have been involved, but in the Alien universe, Predators have nothing to do with anything.

Goddamnit, I have to stop this quoting shit!

"Predators have nothing to do with anything."

Um, other than the fact that they are the most bad ass, bunch of bad asses on this side of the galaxy.

Oh, well sure. I mean, right after Xenomorphs, bitches.

I once saw a picture labeled "Alien vs. Predator vs. Terminator vs. Robocop vs. Rambo vs. Freddy vs. Jason vs. Leatherface vs. Pinhead vs. Chucky... Vs. Godzilla."

It showed Godzilla with a bunch of legs sticking out of his mouth.