AVP R Thoughts, well, complaints really...

daveberg, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Ok, i'll make this as quick as possible seeing as i dont really visit this site anymore.

AVPR was pretty lame. Extremely predictable, terrible characters, weak story. I only thought the action saved it from being as bad as AVP. From where i'm sitting, both franchises are now dead. They've drained any type of credibility Alien and Predator has left, and drove it into comic book oblivion.

Terrible lighting made it almost impossible to see what was going on sometimes, i could hardly make out who was who during the incredibly short final battle between predalien and predator. Plus, how one sided can you get?? The aliens were portrayed as rodents through out the film, when i saw wolf hitting one with his bare hands, i almost got up and left the cinema, that was truly pathetic, and an insult the Alien Franchise. Acid flying everywhere but not one drop gets on Wolf? Pffftt, come on, talk about sheer favoritism.

There were a few things i really enjoyed. The musical scores from previous alien and Pred movies, peppered through out the film was a nice touch, loving the motion tracker sound of the bomber plane closing in on its drop point. The battle scenes were decent, and i thought the aliens looked superb, i think the most satisfying point in the film for me was when one of the xenos bitch slapped wolf in the face with it's tail when they were stalking eachother in the power station. Apart from that, was there any real need for there to be aliens in this film at all? Soon as one showed up, it was dispatched quicker than a pair o soiled underpants. At least celtic pred put up a valiant fight before getting his noggin pierced in AVP, no such joy this time around, was like a lion munching on mice.

I can safely say, this has put the nail in the coffin for my fan boy days. Despite it being enjoyable, i'd hoped for so much more.

And the worst thing.....the hot girl got killed. Almost went and asked for my money back right there.

Stalker, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

No surpise there on your opinions mate, I've said from the beginning that the alien fans would probably hate the film for being so blatantly one-sided. From a predator POV though, it was obviously a better film. The creature was truly brought back to form...although unfortunately, since there was only one hunter in the film, The Wolf automatically became immune from death from the very beginning.

I would've liked to have seen the aliens put up a bit more of a fight at least. The predalien seemed to be the only creature on the face of the Earth that could even land a blow on The Wolf, which, to say the very least, was a clear load of bullshit.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

I agree more with Stalker than with Dave here, but apart from that...

Wow, seing the head moderator say "Ok (...) i dont really visit this site anymore." is very disturbing, that makes this site officially dead(ish), makes me feel like one of my homes got burnt (again). I was almost sorry when Midian went down, but now i see that there may be no saving this one either, no matter who comes back, because everyone will just leave again... And this time i have a soul unfortunately, and sarcasm won't keep me from feeling sorry for this... O well, life goes on!

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

The site is not "dead". We've got to accept that it will never be as good as it was back in the day, but that doesn’t automatically make it dead.

The-Wolf, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

All I can say is, AvP was the other way around. The Aliens whopped the Predator's asses.

I disagree. The alpha alien may have dispatched chopper with ease, but Celtic almost laid the smackdown on the xeno, but in the end, the alien prevailed.

Look at the damage Scar started handing out to the aliens once he go tooled up with the plasma caster, AVP wasn't nearly as one sided as Requiem. Besides a few knocks, Wolf didn't get touched, that is just a croc of shit as far as i'm concerned. The xenomorphs are considerable bigger than predators and wold was throwing them around like he was He-man, hmmm, not amused. I can only imagine what would have happened if a third alien would've joined the sewer battle, Wolf would've held him back by his little toe.....

I wish fox would stop with the damn VS movies, AVP killed things, Requiem just shit on the grave for good measure.

Someone, please, please go back and make a stand alone alien movie that harks back to the real roots of the franchise.....

I honestly can't blame you for being pissed mate, as tooled up as Wolf was, overpowering two aliens like that without taking a scratch of damage is completely stretching boundaries. I honestly would've liked to see more proper fights as well, rather than the shooting gallery most of the action scenes ended up as.

predatoress, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Even as a predator fan (well I love aliens too...) I have to agree with Daveberg on this matter. Avp2 was better than the first film but still it was poor in my mind, as Dave listed the very flaws of the movie. Even though killing the hot girl in the movie was a plus in my mind so it didn't end with kissy kissy huggy huggy everybody's happy lol

I should just forget they made the whole AvP franchise on film...

Yeah Scar only started kicking ass when he got ahold of the caster. Celtic should have easily killed Grid as it killed Chopper.

Anyways, I don't see what the problem is. The Aliens in Requiem are potrayed the same way as Aliens only they're also getting killed by a bad ass Predator. Seeing what just Marines can do, why is it any surprised that an elite hunter whopped ass. I do agree, there could have been more balanced fights. But the reason why I'm so happy is because we finally get to see the Predator redeem the idiots (sadly known as Predators) from AvP.

Broken_Tusk, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

I will say that the fights were pretty solid all around, the only one I was like "c'mon" was the sewer fight where he's holding both xenos by the throat, no way should he have walked away without a tail in the shoulder or something. That being said one thing it seems like everyone is forgetting is the first AvP showed us three unblooded young predators. Even as and unblooded there are capable of defending themselves against one xeno, bring on two or three at a time there most likely dead.
In AvP-R wolf is more like a clan leader, a blooded kick your ass warrior, been through multiple battles and has the trophies to prove it. In the books there are many times where it describes a loan blooded warrior surrounded by xenso and dispatching them left and right. Point is that a blooded warrior is more than capable of handling multiple xenos at once. I don't think that this film was the blockbuster we were hoping, but i do believe that if they are to continue the AvP franchise this is a step in the right direction....... flame if you want but the film had plenty of strong points to work on.

The fact that a single expert hunter like The Wolf could take out several aliens isn't the exaggeration, it's the fact that he could effortlessly manhandle them without getting so much as a scratch or a single spurt of blood on him. At one point he threw an alien to the ground & fired his plasmacaster straight into its head while standing right over the top of it. We saw what a small spot of acid did to Buddy's arm in the facehugger scene, so it doesn't make any real sense that no acid managed to get on or burn Wolf as he did such things throughout much of the movie.

The scene in the sewer with him holding up the two aliens by the throat, while undenyably cool, still seemed like a "suspension of disbelief" moment, as by all logic, he should have been clawed, bitten, or impaled by one of their tails during that feat of strength.

Broken_Tusk, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Couldn't agree with you more stalker. While i thought the fight scenes were cool, some of them I was disappointed to see that Wolf takes no damage at all. Its not like they had to show him get an arm ripped off or something, but he would have sustained some sort of injury during those fights. Like i said when i was talking about he sewer fight, one of those xenos would have stuck there tail right through some part of Wolf's body.

Personally if another film is made I would like it to be set something more like the AvP books. Predators hunting on a planet that they have been for years, humans settled there recently, chaos ensues. I want to see a small hunting party of preds taking on a hive or something, that way we would get to see both our beloved beasties slaughtering each other. And the only reason I would have the human aspect in there is because I don't think anyone but die hard fans would see it reading predator subtitles, and I certainly would not want the predators speaking english.

Not....one.....drop....of.....acid...on....wolf.

Wolf....punching.....Xenomorph.

Pathetic. Excuse me while i go and watch Alien Resurrection.......

alienwarrior, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

I agree most action was just a shooting scene when wolf got his plasma casters destroyed i thought he would start fighting hand to hand but then he just turns it into a gun

predatoress, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Hmmh to me it seems like the aliens in avp would've been smarter than the sequel, I mean was it grid who used the tail as a weapon even when it was cut splashing the acid?

In requiem the aliens seemed to be stupid when not using the tail even they wouldve had clean shot to the wolf. I liked the scenes of xeno sneaking under the gridded bridge or whatever you call them when the wolf was walking on it, and the window thing "there's no monsters". Otherwise aliens seemed to run around like headless chickens to me, even usually they use cuningness to sneak close to the prey without it noticing them.

Other thing what got me wondering is how the hell the plasma caster worked in the hands of a human like a shotgun without power source, what have been said to come from the backbag? And still the wolf melting things to cover up the existence of the kills was stupid in my mind when he left skinned bodies after him.

I'm repeating myself though...

Dave, they were going to add the Wolf getting his armed burned off in the movie but they didn't have the money or time, I believe.

I don't blame Alien fans for hating this movie. Even though I find it weird that my hard core alien fan of a brother thought the movie was a masterpeice. I think most Predator, hell even Alien fans hated the first AvP. I loved the movie. The Aliens did what they did in Alines. Maby the Wolf didn't get splashed with blood but so what. He got his ass kicked plenty of times but he was prepared. Wouldn't you expect him to know what he's doing especially when there's only one in the movie. Its not like he's going to die in the middle of the movie. I enjoyed it. I love seeing a real Predator again doing what they do. Using his barearms to show what a real Predator does. Its not like I dipise the Aliens. They kicked ass in this movie. They spread through an entire town. There's no way you'll catch me watching Alien Ressurection after this movie. Some people are on the right track for calling this Predator 3. But it delivered to the Alien fans and I hope Avp delivered to the Alien fans.

But when you call them fanboys, Dave. They aren't both Predator fans. I forget who but one prefers the Alien. Not too important but thought I should say.

cystic_warrior, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

well i kinda gotta go with dave on this, as a vet of AVP i can say that this movie didnt really bring out the frachises strong points but had some ok visuals.

Hey, you all know me by now, i'm not trying to instigate a flame war, it's all about personal preference.

I'll add another major annoyance....the predator PUNCHING the xenomorph to the ground.

Those of you who know a little something about the aliens - they have a chitinous exoskeleton capable of withstanding small arms fire, how the hell can a fist send it reeling to the floor, when in aliens, they were taking point blank bullets to the skull and kept on coming......???

The film just wasn't what it needed to be, i would've been more satisfied with a hunting pack of preds going up against hundreds of aliens, not one red caped, super hero hunter dispatching a whole town full of born killing machines. Pffftt.

Like i said, some of the battles were really good, the creature effects were fantastic, but the film was badly lacking in proper portrayal of the aliens, and storyline for that matter....and characters....and......I'll stop now.

There was no evidence that the punch actually did any real damage to the xenomorph, but that's not to say it didn't hit with enough force to at least knock it down momentarily. We've seen how strong predators are in the past...manhandling humans & tearing flesh from bone with ease...hell, in AVP, Celtic was slamming Grid through solid stone pillars, which would take an incredible amount of force.

While the punch may not have actually wounded the alien, it was strong enough to actually knock it down, especially since Wolf already had thrown it to the ground beforehand if I recall right.

tropic, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

regarding wolfs comment that they didnt have time or money,it was in post production for over a year so time was not a issue.it boils down to the writer mr salerno not having a clue about either franchise.i thought the film was good dumb fun at best,but salerno has obviously only seen aliens and predators in pictures as dave said no acid on wolf after penetrating with wristblades.

you can argue the predalien not burning as we dont know enough about it to know if the acid blood is in there but to overlook such an integral part of the xenomorph biology is just plain stupid.

hang you head in shame mr salerno,and refrain from writing science fictio movies for ever.hey i just made a funny.....

SHAME SALERNO....HA HA HA

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Dave intentionally watching Resurrection? Man. I didn't think Requiem was THAT bad, but yo.

I actually thought the Aliens were decent. Sure the Wolf seemed like he might have been exaggerated a bit but as long as it looks cool, it's fine by me. I knew Reqieum wouldn't bring the franchises back up from the start so I just waited to see what they gave us without too much hope.

Stand-alone movies are where they're best. Hey, at least the Newborn had an ominous screech. Some of the Aliens in the versus movies sounded like messed up pigs/raptors.