Mebber, Human, 11 years ago

Unfortunately, it's absolutely shitty. Here's an example:
There is a firefight with WY baddies. They hide in another room, seeking cover to both sides of the door and occasionally lean forward to shoot through the door. Well, they didn't recognized that the walls they're hiding behind feature large, broad glass windows, so they're actually leaning against the glass. Of course i shot the glass and killed the stupid guys. More baddies come into the room, run to the exact same cover positions, and hide behind... well, nothing. Just as they didn't realized their cover was out of glass, they didn't realized their cover was actually shot to shards. Quite hilarious to see these stupid guys in their cover-animation while they're actually absolutely exposed...

There are many others examples, it's just a sad fact that the AI is really awful and based on very simple, reocurring patterns. It's not always as obvious as in the example because of the corridor-shooter nature of the game, which gives the AI less options anyway (and therefore less situations where they might fail like in the above example).
I actually hope they will bring out a massive update to patch AI, because imo that's one of the biggest bummers of the entire game, especially with the xenos. You can run through an entire xeno-infested levels without beeing seriously botheres by the bugs (as long as the games allows this, e.g. you're not trapped with them), on badass. I've tried it. I ran through a very tight corridor crowded with bugs (you are supposed to gib them with the smartgun while "they just keep coming" - approx 30 xenos i'd say), right into and through a hive-labyrinth, without problems.

This and other things makes the xenos absolutely not threating, which, as you can imagine, is a real letdown for an Aliens game which claims to be a horror game. I swear, if they drastically increase the AI - faster reaction times, better pathfinding, improved doding behaviour, all that neat stuff - the game as a whole would be ten times better. Threating enemies mean more tension - more tension boosts atmosphere - a good atmosphere serves the entire gaming experience. Hell, it would be amazing. As i said, the encounters with the stalker aliens are great, not because they're numerous but because they are threatening (these bastards are real fast, hide well and pounce at you from the shadows).

I have high hopes GBX will do something in the AI departement, they're pretty much forced to, this current shitstorm is a real PR debacle for them.

By the way, one of the best game parts is the multiplayer, where AI doesn't count at all. There, aliens are really aliens.

WolfThePredator, Human, 11 years ago

Well it's mostly a sci-fi epic action adventure not much horror even though the aliens Will be on the ceiling and those traitor marines r annoying but it is really awesome the game is based off of the movie aliens with Sigourney weaver but switched a bit

daveberg, Human, 11 years ago

I feel for you Mebber, sounds like you've been let down by it.

I honestly don't look that deep into it. I wanted a shooter, set in Hadley's hope with Marines and Aliens based on the film - that's what I got, and I'm happy for it. Things like AI and graphics really don't bother me - hell, I'm 33 this year, I grew up with the atari and NES - games these days have come so far since that era, I try not scrutinize and enjoy them best I can.

Perhaps If I wasn't such a hardcore Aliens fan I wouldn't enjoy this game as much, but because of what it is and what it's based on, I feel this game is better than others such as COD, which are considered superior, gameplay wise.

DarkLioness, Human, 11 years ago

I haven't played the game yet because I don't have the game....yet. I either need to go out and uy it or order it. I'll get to it this year eventually, probably after July though.

Mebber, Human, 11 years ago

@Dave
I was only been let down in the beginning, but after realizing the game was not what i wanted it to be, i forgot about expectations and just played the game as a shooter set in the franchise with aliens in it, just like you did. And i have a good time with it, i'd wouldn't have finished it if it wouldn't be a lot of fun. And as a comparement, i haven't touched a COD title in years, they bore me to death.
And that's where i think the problem lies with many of those critics, many expected the game to be the next great ground-breaking game with top-notch content in all departments thanks to GBX excellent pre-release PR, and now the let down is big and they're dooming the game in a quite one-sided way. If it would be a less high-profile game, i bet all the bother wouldn't be as hard as it is with ACM.

Blizzard, Human, 11 years ago

Well I got the game and I have been playing right to Hadley hope
so far I like it , its not brilliant but its not the shitty game that the critics make it seem like it is . So the game is pretty nice visually although their is a few not so well detailed texture now and then , they should have in my opinion let us explore OUR ship to get to know everyone a bit so I actually give a damm about who dies , difficulty pathetically easy so make sure to put it on ( Badass difficulty ) and finally as I mentioned previously I have only made it to Hadley hope (which is where the real tension is building ) so I can't speak for the rest of the game but at some point somebody forgot to mention to the devs that we should be shooting Aliens and not just men for two whole levels .
Almost forgot the AI is bad as said previously but not to bad that is unplayable I do hope they patch it up soon )

So those are the things I thought that weren't to brilliant
but don't get me wrong that game is tons of fun especially if you play with a friend
and the story so far is decent with a lot hidden bonus ,legendary weapons ,audio logs and easter eggs
In conclusion I would say it doesn't deserve 2/10 like some reviewers are giving it it should be at least 6/10 above average

Just finished the level on the Derelict last night - wow. What a set piece that was. Absolutely outstanding - even the original music from Alien playing as you walk into the Jockey/engineer chamber.

Plus, that huge reveal on who the secret Marine was that you have to save.....WOW.

This game is freaky I'm on the part in the sewers and wandering xenos can't move

Peterson, Human, 11 years ago

didnt like that part at all to be honest with you man walking through the sewers sucked, however when you first get the smart gun and head into the sewers that was fucking awesome!

I loved that level it was by far the most creepiest

It was like slender it was creepy and I got the achievement for the.smart gun total badass but I hate those wandering xenos my bro pissed his pants

Lol the most akward moment when 3 boilers are blocking my way while my brother is jumping around

I Know how that feels my bro doesn't know how to play he keeps dying in the first level

Co - op with my friend was awesome. Just before you go into the tunnels with the smart gun for the first time, I nabbed the sentry gun from operations and took it with us. Laid it down in the tunnel and watched it go to work while my mate tore up the remaining bugs with the smart gun - thing of beauty.

I've left a link below for my photo's i've taken so far - contains spoilers for those who haven't played yet!

Aliens colonial marines photos

My comrade is dead from the chestburtser I salute u fallen soldier but I am the master of headshots

-Bloo-, Human, 11 years ago

...what?

@Dave: I have to wait till Tuesday to play since I'm outta town, and you've honestly been pretty helpful in keeping me excited.

Hope to be able to use you as canon fodder soon Bloo
I mean fight alongside you

DarkLioness, Human, 11 years ago

Change of plans, looks like I'll be buying this before July!

Quick question, do you have a choice between being a Xenomorph or a Human?

@ Bloo - No worries. My enthusiasm for this game hasn't dwindled, despite the bad reviews and some on here not liking it either.

Bug-hunt has already finished the campaign and is already doing his second playthrough - he loved it too.

It's one of those games has incredible attention to detail, despite not being as graphically great as it could have been. True the game is slightly glitchy, but it didn't bother me one bit.

Hadley's hope and the derelict level = winning!

Peterson, Human, 11 years ago

me and blizzard put a decent chunk into the story mode on ultimate badass difficulty.