Something a lot of people may have missed in "Alien" - among other things.

FireHunter, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

So I literally just watched the first Alien movie again, for the first time in a long time. Also for the first times I was listening through headphones and I noticed that every time the Alien appears or is about to appear, including the chestburster scene, there is a heartbeat audible. The only exception is most of the final scene, wherein the only time you hear the heartbeat is when Ripley hides in the closet. This made me really uneasy, and I didn't understand it, because I've watched this movie so many times but it's truly best when watched with the audio through headphones, and in the dark. Don't underestimate a soundtrack.

Another thing I noticed was that the Xenomorph did indeed seem much more terrifying than it did later on, again especially when you see it in the flickering strobe-like light, the biomechanical patterns on its skin/shell are highlighted and for a lot of it, it doesn't even look like a guy in a suit until we see it blown into space. Though I love Aliens, after re-watching Alien I can definitely put my finger on why Aliens was nowhere near as terrifying, nowhere near as uncomfortable or thrilling, it was all in the execution of the Xenomorph, how utterly immortal it seemed throughout the majority of the first movie, whereas they were so expendable in the second.

This is what I liked about Alien 3, the Xenomorph being on its own. Though it shared the almost insectoid behaviour of the Aliens in the second movie, it still came across as a remarkably frightening creature.

And as for Alien: Resurrection, well, I actually quite enjoyed that movie, while most people say the Newborn probably wasn't a great idea, when I first watched it, that thing scared the absolute shit out of me. It wasn't the Xenomorphs that scared me in that movie, it was the fucking Newborn. And to this day I still can't pick out why it is that the Newborn scared me so much.

On that subject, the Xenomorphs themselves never really scared me, the facehuggers scared me, but not the fully grown Xenomorph, until I thought about, just now, how terrifying it would actually be to face off against such a creature, and that's a fact that I think a lot of human players here tend to miss, if you put yourself in that situation, where you're facing off against something like that, no matter what you will be scared.

Anyway, that's my rant, even though it's like 4 different possible threads wrapped into one, too bad, this is what I'm putting out before I go to bed. I expect some opinions when I wake up!

supersonicman96, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Holy cow, that is freaky. But I have to agree with you on the first and second movies. I'm too scared to even attempt to watch the first, but the only thing that really scared me in the second was jump scare moments. That's it. One idea that always freaked me out was the old idea that Xenomorphs could turn prey into eggs. Scared me with that one.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I've never noticed the heartbeats, that's something I really have to try. Alternatively to the headphones, you can also go with watching the blu-rays (which look/sound really good and are better than any dvd incarnations, period) in surround-sound, which I do.

I started rewatching the movies this summer, too. So far I only have Predator 2, Predators, and Prometheus to go. This was the first time I've seen any of them in years and it was surprising how much my opinion on some of them changed. I actually like Alien more now just because of the way it porrays its Xeno, with Aliens being a close second. With Alien 3, I still think it's underrated, though it's no masterpiece. And similar to you, I actually really enjoyed Resurrection this time around, simply because I knew not to expect ANYTHING from it. Even though it's a bad movie, I was entertained, mostly because of the characters, which really deserved a better movie and script.

As for Predator, this movie is so much more quotable than I remembered. It's nearly a gold pile, it reminded me why I like the Predator franchise. It makes me want to reread the original AVP comic, which I've never actually gone through completely (or in order).

ciaosarah, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Those routes include Bangkok - Pitsanuloak, mens nike air max limited which will be extended to Chiang Mai City, mens nike air max limited sneakers viewed as the country's men's nike air max limited sneakers northern logistical men's air max limited hub and tourist destination hub; Bangkok - Nakorn men's air max limited shoes Ratchasima, which will men's air max limited sneakers be extended to Nong Khai province, viewed as a gateway men's air max limited trainers to the Lao capital of Vientiane; men's air max limited shoes uk Bangkok - Rayong, the country's eastern men's air max limited online seaboard industrial hub and deep-sea port; men's air max limited shoes wholesale and Bangkok - Hua Hin, viewed as men's nike air max limited cheap a flourishing tourist destination and gateway to men's nike air max limited sale the southern region. No matter men's nike air max limited white which party will finally win the bidding men's nike air max limited black for the high- speed trains, all the railways running nike air max limited running shoes through those provinces will apply the same operational systems, according to the transport minister. Chatchart said he will leave for Kunming city in southern China some time next month to discuss the 4.9-billion- U.S.-dollar high- speed rail project with senior Chinese government officials.