god_of_blades, Undefined, 17 years ago

Hey Crow thats cool how you thought of that really awesome... i think the Xenomorph sacrificed their brother to escape for the good of the Hive... Survival it's all about survival....

(xeno)
GOB.jpg

MessageboardRules

^click here if new^ href="http://www.flixter.com/comments/6917.html">>

donut, Undefined, 17 years ago

Moofles... I LOVE the way you think XDXD <3

I never really looked at it this way, but it makes me happy :3

though i dont remember the direct quote, but didnt Ash in ALIEN say something contradicting this when he stated why he admired them? I dont quite remember though so i might be mistaken :U

857888.jpg
~i draw things...it is delicious~
~first female on teh site! w00t w00t!~
I ARE A XENOMORPH! MOOF

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

In my opinion, an alien could somewhat be compared to a shark in this aspect, albeit with more intelligence & depth. To quote Hooper from Jaws "A perfect engine, an eating machine. All this machine does is swim, & eat, & make little sharks". The same principle could quite easily be applied to a xenomorph. Sharks are seemingly single-minded machines which hunt for food, & when they're not hunting, they have either already eaten their fill, or the situation concearns their offspring, even if most sharks generally don't take care of their own young. Although I am aware that sharks are more than single-minded killers, it is one of their primary functions throughout their life.

An alien could be looked at in much the same way. They are generally either hunting down their prey for food or to be used as hosts, or they are in the hive guarding their queen. The creatures themselves obviously do have more complex emotions & are not entirely single-minded, but one of their main duties in life is to take the lives of other creatures, much like a shark, as I stated earlier. Ash called the alien "The perfect organism". It can survive anywhere, & is well equipped to take care of one of it's most common duties in life.....death. The term "single-minded killer" is more of a generalisation than an accurate assessment.

Calling the humans & predators "monsters" for killing aliens is completely unjust in my opinion. Most human encounters with aliens have been the equivalent of a human straying into the territory of a wild animal (even if most of the encounters were Weyland Yutani's intention), with the aliens almost always taking the upper hand in the situation. The predators on the other hand, only hunt the creatures in limited numbers. They don't hunt to such a massive extent as to wipe out the species or cause any sort of significant decline in numbers.

thorndesignssig.jpg

Crow, Undefined, 17 years ago

Hmm...in response to Stalker's post:

Stating that all a xenomorph does is eat, rest, and reproduce is a very broad statement. After all, the same can be said for humans when you strip away the social structure. Humans are omnivorous, so to say that natural human survival does not involve the taking of lives is likewise false. In fact, almost any organism can be looked at in that light.

We've clearly seen xenomorphs interact and communicate with one another, so I wouldn't say it's too far of a stretch for them to exhibit social behaviors. To say what they do when they are not hunting prey is more speculation than anything else, but it's highly possible that, while guarding the queen and improving their own shelters, there is some form of social interaction.

The "perfect organism" does not need to be devoid of emotion. All carnivores take the lives of others, xenomorphs simply do the same thing. Any successful carnivore is equipped to deal a swift and successful death. It isn't accurate nor fair to state that they spend the majority of their lives hunting and killing, especially when we do not know the maximum capacity of a xenomorph hive, nor their behavior when that capacity is reached.

Humans clear land and kill organisms to expand and continue to reproduce. Xenomorphs simply do the same, but in a much more efficient manner.

Furthermore, when the humans did actually stray into xenomorph territory in each scenario, they did not escape immediately, or they were unable to. For example, in the film Aliens, Ripley could have just as easily fled from the xenomorph hive instead of moving further and threatening the safety of the queen. There was little, if any, motive behind that action other than the desire to hunt down and kill the source of an already dominant predator within its own territory.

Also, we cannot be sure about the situation with the yautja, either. However, you can't say that the act of forcing a mother to stay alive for centuries solely to kill her children time and time again isn't a monsterous act, especially when we clearly know that said mother both loves and cares for her children. If it were a human in that situation instead of a xenomorph queen, I'm fairly certain many more individuals would feel the same way.

Crow-Banner.gif?t=1165440971
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

shadowatching, Undefined, 17 years ago

i am on no one's side when i say this but an alien bursting out of ur chest is not monstrous whos to say what is or is not a monster ?!

Shadowatching_02.jpg

TOTAL DISTRUCTION, I LIVE FOR NOTHING ELSE
http://galvergd.proboards57.com/index.cgi

"The xenomorph, as we know, is an invasive creature. This is true. They create their own life by taking another. This is one of the greatest horror aspects to the xenomorph -- the thought of a chestburster ripping through our rib cage and breaking free to the outside world.

However, what a xenomorph takes to give birth to new life is, from their perspective, what can be assumed to be a lesser being.

We, as people, view other creatures, such as cattle, to be lesser beings. Humans herd cattle and shamelessly kill them for food and other materials. It is simply a predatory manner.

But really, that is all a xenomorph is doing -- killing a lesser being for food and sustenance.

However, they go one step further: They ensure the life of their offspring from that which they take.

It seems to me that the main horror aspect of the xenomorph is based on very little more than a human's fear of no longer being on the top of the food chain. To have the hunter become the hunted."

*shakes head and rolles eyes* y did u have to repost that i said that i agree with a few things u said but just because the only way aliens can live is through the chest but just think about it not the life but if we think (i like everything equal but there are rules to live by) that cattle are lesser beings dnt aliens think the same thing that animals whether its yautja or humans.

Shadowatching_02.jpg

Well, typically child birth is a very nasty and sloppy process...heck, when a human woman has a baby, she actually fractures and splits her pelvis and then has to let it mend again afterwards. Really, the xenomorph is doing the same thing...just in a lethal manner to it's potential food instead of its parent.

that is true but not all child birth ends in death complete death not comming back kind

Shadowatching_02.jpg

Ah, but doesn't that human child eventually kill and consume other organisms after it ages? Really, it's all the same -- the organism is born, and it's prey is killed. The time span between the two is just shorter.

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

In life there are many creatures that use other organisms to help procreate their young. There is a type of wasp which will lay it's young in the flesh of a ladybeetle's underbelly, & when they are born, they will paralyze & eat it from the inside out while it is still alive. Chestbursting is only shocking because it is capable of happening to us.

thorndesignssig.jpg