The Meaning of the Movies

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I made this to pose a question- what makes "Alien" a great movie? Is it the acting? No, I've seen better. Is it the monster ? No, even that doesn't save the AVP series. No, I think what makes the movie what it is is very simply a message. The meaning of Kane's son, the monster we have, and the feeling you get that there's something stalking you, watching. What does it mean though? What is the message, the meaning, the heart of this movie?

Edit: Who bumped this, I had my hopes up for someone to actually comment you sick bastard.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I think no one's commented because it's just a hard thing to answer. You can always be wrong.

(also lmao@bump)

Anyway, when you put it like that, I guess it's just... awareness of awareness? Be cautious? Not of giant monsters, but of, just... things in general.

What I mean is, notice how many goddamn times people underestimated the shit around them. "Oh, the Hand Alien's off my face? I guess it just wanted a hug for 12 hours!"

"Wow, these walls look weird."

"Why is Jonesy screaming at me? Why is he looking behind me? Must be nothing... Here Jonesy!!"

I mean, there's no way the characters could have predicted any of that (except maybe in the case of "Wow where could the Xenos be hiding" in Aliens), but still.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I didn't comment because I think it's the acting and the monster.

Yeah, I forgot to say that, back in '79, this was THE shit. The actors, the monster... (Almost all of the actors were well known EXCEPT Sigourney Weaver, and the monster design was really goddamn bizarre. People RAN FROM THE THEATRE IN TERROR.)

Take into account that literally every fucking monster these days draw from either the Xeno or the Predator (or some other monster that I don't care about right now). If you're exposed to those first and THEN the Xeno, of course you're gonna go "Wow, that's... not scary??? And the acting, what?"

It's just a case of "Seinfield is Not Funny."

Edit: Also, the reason the Xenos didn't save AVP was because the Xenos in AVP were not the same monsters in Alien + Aliens.

I don't mean the acting was good for back then, I seriously think the actors did an incredibly good job portraying believable characters, they felt like genuine people living their boring lives, doing their boring jobs, constantly in disbelief that something extraordinary was actually happening, as people would most likely tend to do in that situation.

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

"Is it the acting? No, I've seen better"

You do realise the bland acting during the introduction of a movie was intended to reflect the ideals and social life of human beings in a post modernist idustrial world? Right? Good. Dronehive, have you ever been to the Globe theater and seen Shakespearean actors live? Who are commonly regarded as some of the greatest actors in modern times?

Well i have, And i don't downgrade everything just because it isn't up to a certain standard.

Is it the monster ? No

So you're saying the single most iconic movie monster next to godzilla, Which was so terrifying that people ran out of the theaters vomiting IS A BAD MOVIE MONSTER.

Just because its got a bad case of overexposure doesn't mean the monster doesn't make the damn film.

I think what makes the movie what it is is very simply a message. The meaning of Kane's son, the monster we have, and the feeling you get that there's something stalking you, watching. What does it mean though?"

Did you even watch the damn movie? Have you even read the 1000 threads we have on the subject of the topic of this move?

Its about sex, Rape,Fucking. Jesus christ did you not look at the picture of an Alien and think "Hey that looks sort of like a cock, That probably means nothing"

Hell are you forgetting the ship's computer is Named MOTHER, Its about a FEMALE protagonist overcoming a falic enemy. If you read into the Giger interviews he explicitly says he wanted to make a monster that could RAPE men and women. He wanted to make something that would make men cross there legs in the Cinema as well as the men.

He wanted to attack us deep in our sexual security, Which is hard to do with men. And that my friend is why the Alien is the perfect thing to scare us, Because it can rape men.

photo Newsig.jpg

How does this make you feel? Uncomfortable? Wheezy? Tight chested? good. But it should not be making you think "man kanes son is really important right now, And the monster inside me has to deal with this. I mean its totally not an analogy for rape, and then birth of your rapists child"

READ A BOOK.

Edit: You know i love you really dude, This is just the most entertaining way to put my opinion.

@DW & CH: After thinking about this for a while, yeah, I'm just gonna completely agree with you.

There's no way it's wasn't the monster. THERE'S NO FUCKING WAY.

On the surface, it's just a space dinosaur. It's underwhelming because so many fucking people copied it. But you have to look deeper, man. I know you know it's the embodiment of rape, but that's because we've been telling you that. You have to realize it yourself. You have to realize just how fucking terrifying rape is. Every single person in this movie was POWERLESS against something that its sequel shows can actually be kill with the right weapons. It's the same thing with humans. Your average rapist isn't going to be as intimidating as Dwayne Johnson, yet we feel powerless when being raped. Rapists the bottom of the barrel. They're so fucking low that they're not even IN the barrel. How the FUCK are you going to force someone to have sex with you? Sometimes the attacker even has an STD, sometimes they KNOW they're going to get their victim pregnant.

It's just... I don't know. I don't blame you - so many people in popculture/the media try so hard to be fucked up that no one is, so now you have kids watching Alien and going "lol that wasnt scary."

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Just as a quick explanation for the bump: Some guy (probably a bot) posted a single post advertising something. TO give you an idea of how blatant it was, the site in his sig LITERALLY had the word "scam" in it.

Needless to say, I deleted it. I was going to post, but then something came up and I didn't get around to it. And actually, everyone else has about covered what I wanted to say anyway. Shit

That's fucking hilarious. I think the bots are running out of ideas...

krio, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

Dronehive........ What the fuck......?

"Was it the monster? No"

The fuck it was! The monster was the first thing that actaully scarred me for life! I have been afraid of getting mouth raped ever since! Shit! How can you not think it was the monster?!?

"Were it the actors? No, i've seen better?"

So you are saying the acting was bad? You don't belong on this site!

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

^ Stop trying to start a fight.

@Krio: You can disagree with him dude, just don't make him feel unwelcome. He's allowed to have opinions.

Krio, chill the fuck out, you are not one of the bright people, man. And you don't fucking tell a clanmate that they don't belong on this site. Cunt.

Dronehive's idea wasn't wrong, but it was filtered through the AvP movies, so it's understandable why he'd be confused about what it all means, since it's something completely different. I mean, we play now with the concept of a xenomorph as an interesting life form, speculating its origin, its purpose, its future, but that's because we're doing it after Aliens, where everything changed.

Just look at that facehugger. At first you'll think "yeah, it's a facehugger, it injects an embrio in the stomach, then the embrio grows into a chestburster and so on". But look at it. It looks like ribs and a pelvis and a spine and it has testicles and there's a penis in that man's mouth, ejaculating down his throat. We are so desensitized to the idea of a xenomorph that we don't even realize anymore that there's a penis in that man's mouth, ejaculating down his throat.

Of course ribs, a spine, a pelvis, these are all common for any regular real life animal, but if you saw a koala holding on to a man's head, forcing its dick down his throat and then ejaculating in his mouth, you'd think "wait a minute, that's not right at all."

The monster is definitely the message of the movie. You just forgot that it's a monster.

The quality of your posts is something I'm gonna remember forever, DW.

That's good, because all I've been doing since I came to this site has been to try copying you. Notice how I used italics in that post. Guess who uses italics? You.

I'm pretty sure you were here before me (if only for like a month or something), but that's weird because sometimes I'm actually trying to be like you, getting to the point rather than dancing around something while trying to be nice.

That's why I loved why you "let me into your mind" with that Xeuss post. Anyway, I guess we should take this elsewhere.

Okay...

I'm gonna reword the main post.

Because fuck, I worded it wrong.

It wasn't the monster- What I meant by this isn't that the Xenomorph didn't make the move. I agree that it did. What I was trying to say is the fact that it looked like a penis doesn't make it good. (As evidenced by AvP)It's the perversity and the sexuality that it represents that make it good. In short, the entire point of he thread was to discuss the symbolism of the creatures and such. I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner, because I shire looked like an idiot.

The acting didn't make it- the entire point of this was to say that while the acting was EXCELLENT, (I in no way meant to say it wasn't. The quip about me having seen better was ill placed) acting alone can help, but it WASN'T what made the movie. I agree the monster did, but (see above)

Fuck, I screwed up. Now I look stupid, don't I?

I hope you're aware that if you do that, the whole thread will no longer make sense, because we responded to your original wording.

Yea I guess. I won't then. Also, I expanded that post, so please read it so I don't sound too stupid.

Yeah, don't worry about it, you don't look stupid, just unexperienced. It's a good thread and it's something that hadn't been properly discussed before (at least not while I was here) because this issue is really easy to miss.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm kinda bad at making threads... But symbolism and stuff are usually the best discussions.

Anyway, I read your post, and I just wanna say, that stuff like that was what I wanted to discuss in the first place. Don't get me wrong- the design is great. I do feel fear of the xenomorph . What I was trying to say is what you wrote- I was trying to say that we I'm not scared of it because it looks scary, but because it's a goddam rape monster. So I guess I completely failed at expressing that, but whatever.