Predator tech & Hierarchy

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

It's been a while since I've seen any of the movies, but when the plasma casters were used, was there any recoil? Would there be recoil with their type of energy weapons?

And did the comics ever give us an in-depth look at how the wristblades/combi-sticks worked?

Edit: This came up in the "gender" thread, but the Predator hierachy - how does that work, exactly? I know there are clans and Elders while Predators introduced rival clans, but I've always imagined them to be like ancient Greece + 18th Century Native Americans in space, which probably isn't the best representation.

I'm not looking for any canon information because there's little to none - I'm just wondering if there were some plausible theories in the comics/novels that could actually be brought to the films.

Hunter_Predator, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I thought the Wristblades were somehow worked into their nervous system and therefore could be extended that way. It seemed in AvP that the Combi-Stick was activated by a squeezing of the handle, perhaps a nervous sensor, with their technology god knows what they can do, but I assumed Wristblades at least were wired into their nervous system through like a needle injection that they simply pull out of their arm when they're done, I don't know.

But no the Plasma Caster has shown no recoiling effects what-so-ever, in fact they seem to not even twitch when firing them, however when Wolf turned his into a pistol in AvP-R I think his arm recoiled back, I just watched it a couple days ago and I can't 100% remember if the pistol version effected him, but when on there shoulder they seem to never even budge, probably due to the shape of the mount. In Predator 1 the Caster never budged, I think in AvP it did recoild the gun itself a time or two, not Scar though, but the mount it's on seems to have like 3 joints to it so I'm assuming the mount takes all the recoil so that the Predator has none.

Like a shock mount for a microphone (I'm a rock vocalist and guitarist so this is what I automatically think of)

EDIT:

Lol sorry I keep replying to everying

But as far as Hierarchy goes they seem to have a center planet referred to as "Yautja Prime", a Homeworld I guess, and AvP-R showed up a glimpse of the seeming City-Planet when Wolf was there. So perhaps they due have a central Government that the Clans Branch from that create these similar laws between Clans, or maybe it's like Earth and their Homeworld has multiple countries almost and the Clans are simply the nomads looking for a new place to live. As for right now it's speculation. what're your opinions and preferences? I may go into mine in a later post, for now I want to finish this edit before someone posts.

In regards to the nervous system thing, that's what I've always thought, too. They don't seem to push any buttons unless that button is in their mask, which I doubt since they've probably activated them with their masks off.

Speaking of which, I don't remember them pushing any buttons to activate camo either, but that's probably just me.

Other theories I've thought about are certain ways they could grip their hands, but I've never noticed any patterns in the way their hands are positioned whenever the blades come out.

Edit: Didn't see your edit and nah, it's fine, this is the longest I've been in on-topic conversation in one sitting aside from the gender thread.

Yeah, I've always thought of them having a single government, and the topic of an "Elder Council" is always brought up whenever the question is asked. But I've never liked the way Predator civilization is tied directly to Xenos, like how an Elder has to clear out a certain amount of hives before obtaining his rank.

Well we see jolts and twitches so I'm guessing the Nervous system insertion, or maybe since we've never really heard them "speak" just breathe and growl perhaps it's like a voice activated system, like a cheesey comic book they say "Cloaking Activate" or "Wristblades" or some stupid stuff.... no I'm definetly going with nervous system, same for the cloaking.

Don't forget those tubes and wires they plug into the mask, also whenever they remove the mask (even when Wolf only wore the other Preds mask for a second to watch previous recordings) there's like a jolt to it, like it clicks off, or is stuck on there, and they have to pry it off, perhaps they don't do it slowly and dramatically just for show but perhaps they actually have to be very careful with it, maybe that is how some of the nervous system controls in the helmet come about like button-less vision changes, vocal recording, and zoom-in's, and how Wolf was able to rewind the footage and whatnot without buttons, so obviously there's something that's inserted or else it wouldn't have to pry off even after a second. In Predators the Crucified Pred's Helmet fell off with ease but Berserker kind of bashed it in with his forehead so... yeah.

As far as I can tell, all evidence points to a nervous system control.

EDIT:

Xenos and Humans are like Bears and Deer, favorite Pray and most worthy adversaries...

I guess Gro'Tye is like Big Foot I don't know.

But Humans and Xenos apparently are just the biggest threat and danger and therefore the most worthy-deciding test.

EDIT 2:

Heads up I've edited a lot of this post if you care to re-read it.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I've always liked the idea that there are several different clans/tribes within several different societies, the closest they get to a central government being some sort of council of elders.

I can never decide if I want a Game or Movie to go into it all, If they reveal and show us everything it would completely eradicate the mystery of the Yautja. So I'm going to go with no, I'm curious as hell about it all but curious kills the cat, it's like Master Chief's face, I'm curious as all get out, but it's better we don't know.

I too am partial to it though, a "Council of Elders" so to speak and different societies branching into different clans, and the idea of rogue groups, heretic outcasts and Individuals. This honestly is what's so great about Yautja, to a thrid party of casual gamers and film goers that say "Oh the Predator was so cool with his creepy face and his arm knives things and the gun, turning invisible and sh!t, it's badass!" but they don't realize that just watching the first movie alone gives so much imagination to them. They clearly are advanced, have a sense of honor and respect, they are civilized and hunt for sport and collect trophies to prove themselves, his pod came from a larger ship meaning he was a part of a group, others had arrived before meaning it's a systematic thing, and the nuke shows that they will do anything to remain a mystery and take everyone at threat to them down with them, and I think I just barely made a dent into it all, and most movie goers don't see all this, they just see an alien monster that kills people.

So obviously I like that we have seen more of what they're from and the fact that we have a good idea of all the mysteries and secrets, but don't blatently show us everything in detail right to our faces, other than books and comics at least the films and games in my opinion have given us the perfect amount of information.

Note, I'm really really not a fan of the comics and books, just the movies and games and other extended universe you can explore via the web, the comics and books just in my opinion are fan fictions that aren't worth looking into.

We actually had a huge discussion about their honor a few months back. There were some great points brought up, like how the fans have skewered and inflated what their honor actually means to them and how it might differ from what we consider honorable - and if they even run on an honor system at all.

The thread is almost as big as the gender thread, if you care to read it.

@DD: Yeah, that's always been the general consensus. I guess the mystery is what makes them so great, but I've always wondered what fans would think is acceptable (an empire, major cities, nomadic structure with no real headquarters, living on ships, stolen tech rather than invented, etc).

Yeah i read that thread already Bloo, but it was only 2 weeks ago, but yeah it did bring up some good points so thanks for bringing that forwards.

it was more about the Honor Code as opposed to Hierarchy, and How they act as opposed to what we know but it's still relevant.

Oh shit, I forgot if you took part in that or not, and wow, I thought it was months ago.

No i wasn't a part, and it was just a bit ago, I just read it because it interested me, I do that from time to time.

Honestly the whole "Super Predator" thing turned me off a bit, the blood feud idea was cool but honestly the movie never really said he was a Super Predator, personally I think he was just a generally bigger Yautja and had a more ruthless personality, and as far as his face being different I just figured they were adding more diversity to their appearances, I mean come on, we humans have a pretty versatile look, and different ethnicities, sizes, looks, I think they are just the same and "Berserker" just was a bigger tougher guy. But the Blood Feud thing, maybe the "Crucified Predator" was just a different clan, an outcast, or they didn't like each other, not a "new breed", Rodriguez p!ssed me off a bit with that idea, and his whole conceited thing with "Just forget Predator 2, only 1 and mine exist"... b@stard... but I just considder Berserker bigger, and perhaps higher rank. Obviously Predators wasn't a test hunt, but a real one.

It was never explicitly said in the film, but Word of God is that the Berserkers are, in fact, "wolves" while the Jungle Hunters are "dogs" and that they were different clans.

No one else really asked for a new sub-species either, but I think it's interesting. Like was said in the other topic, instead of being a different race, they were probably just women, and both theories are fine with me.

I still think Predator 2 had a lot of interesting stuff in it, mostly the fact that they live a lot longer than humans and there are Elders.

EDIT:

Yeah I liked Predator 2 as well.

But I thought only the One in charge was supposedly the "Berserker"?

But different clans perhaps, or like i said an outcast, or maybe he and Berserker simply didn't get along too well.

Fishbourne's crazy character said there were "wolves" and "dogs" but like I said I'm thinking rank, Berserker didn't exactly seem young to me where as "Crucified Predator" did, (when in fact he was just supposed to look like Predator 1 because Rodriguez wanted to copy it as best he could) but I'm pretty damn certain the Crucified Hunter wasn't female, neither were the other ones, or so-called "Super-Predators", if they were they would have definetly made a bigger deal about it all by now, if either one was. Plus I'm sure there would be a bigger difference in appearance.

Again, I'm simply thinking age and rank, The Triad was simply a higher rank going on a bigger-name hunt than what we're used to, and the Crucified One was simply younger or lower rank, perhaps different clan and such, I just don't like the idea of a different "breed" or "Race" so much as just "hey lets make a bigger tougher one", I like that idea better lol.

And again, don't do this to me Bloo, please don't suggest the idea that the Crucified one was female, or the Supers for that matter, you're going to force me to make a stupid-long post lol, don't do this to me bro

Plus c'mon, I'm sure the females would be more feminine anyway, less body hair... more... chest... or something at least, if it was a girl that'd make it obvious.

(I'm slightly drunk, so apologies if anything is misspelled or unclear)

@Hunter: Some of the comics are crap, but the original "Concrete Jungle" Predator series is actually pretty great. Imagine the biggest, loudest, most ridiculous 80's action movie ever directed by the guy wjho did Robocop, and you've got something like what this comic is. There are people who prefer it to Predator 2.

I didn't really have a problem with the Super-Preds, I thought they were an interesting addition. We've seen different "ethnicity" of Predator up until now, but Predators introduced an entirely different species. The idea might seem weird, but bear in mind there were different species of human up until very (in evolutionary terms) recently. The idea of a planet with multiple sentient species is pretty interesting.

Because I am a hardcore nerd, I have attempted to catlogue the different "races" of Pred:

1. We've got the "classic" Preds, seen in Predator 1 and Predators, as well as in most of the early Predator comics. Most of them wear very similar armor, as if it were mass-produced, and they seem to have a preference for simpler weaponry like plasma casters and basic wristblades. Their armor also has a scrap metal look about it. Very direct, no-nonsense kind of hunting.

2. The Predator 2 variety are similar, but fancier. Very ornate armor, everyone wears a different mask, and they seem to prefer more complex weapons. The design of the ships is also a lot busier.

3. AVP Preds are bigger, thicker, and wear much shinier armor. The design scheme seems a lot more cold and sterile, and their weapons are a lot bigger.

^Imagine these tribes all interacting with each other, backstabbing, plotting, etc. It'd be great.

(It's all good, you've posted in worse conditions)

But honestly the comics as a whole are generally crap so i basically throw them out in all honesty. That's like saying "Well this one is fine lets accept it at least" but then we get into an opinion arguement over each individual comic and it's reliability.

I'm more partial to the idea that simply they are diverse like us. We have some 5' tallers and some 7-8' tallers, some people grow muscle easy others just don't, some faces are cut and stern others are softer.

As far as different styles I think predator 1 and 2 were simply different clans, there were similarities between Predator 2 and Predators, and The Crucified and predator 1, AvP was again a different clan, where as Wolf from AvP-R was the same clan as AvP yet he was thinner and leaner with lesser armor like Predator 1 and even some similarities to predator 2.

It's just a diverse race, not a bunch of different "Breeds" and "Species" of Predators

No, no - Crucified was definitely a different clan. He was supposed to be part of the same clan as the original Predator; whether it's a human-given name or not, they're called the Jungle Hunters in canon.

Having re-read that post, I have no idea where I was going with it. Sorry about that.

Alright well still I don't like the idea of the other Preds being a different "breed" so much as just older, bigger, and basically tougher, that just makes more sense to me honestly then a completely different type of Yautja all together.

But I think it's cool that we've seen so many different clans that all come to Earth.

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

On the initial comment on Recoil in Plasma Casters i feel it was mostly because the suits (Costumes) rendered the body actor blind. To time up a recoil movement with an explosion would have been hard as balls.

Unless they're running on a setup in which the plasma caster itself absorbs the recoil (Watch a few videos of a Barret 50. cal being fired and you'll know what i mean. Peterson probably has a better idea about this than i do)

I think hierarchy is mainly based on your ability to prove yourself physically or intellectually. The strongest go hunt while the smartest build godlike ships.

I support the idea that the wristblades are hooked up to the nervous system IN AVP CANNON. We know this from AvP2, In which one of the written logs states that it was impossible to remove the gauntlet of the predator without the Predator suffering heart attacks. The Gauntlet is set so that if it is the removed it kills the Predator, Which supports the hypothesis.

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

AVP extinction had it that the predators were ruled over by a council of Ancients that did everything from make species wide decisions to settling disputes between bickering clans. I like that idea. Its cool.

@Concrete Hunter

i completely forgot about that log in AvP 2 thanks for reminding me. I guess that clears it up lol.

Damn I wanna play that again, I love the campaign but I miss multiplayer lol

@Skull Ripper

You guys like to remind me of sh!t I keep forgetting about lol, but yeah I remember that too, grant it if there is a game that would be considered the least canon it would be extinction I like that idea too. I'm curious however as to where they are based, most likely Yautja Prime but I'm most curious as to what all is on Yautja Prime. Again I don't really want to know due to it ruining the mystery of it all.

Having a glimpse of what was potentially Yautja Prime in AvP R I wonder what exactly is Wolf? Is He like a Supervisor for the AvP clan? It seemed like his office was there or whatever but his specific mission was to clean up the mess but he obviously wasn't Council Grade. And Are Clan leaders part of the Council too? Like the AvP Clan's Elder seemed pretty damn high authority, higher than Predator 2's Clan Leader, but that was probably just because of the different years for the films.

Alright, to settle a few things:

- Plasma casters generally don't have recoil
- Wrist blades are connected to the body somehow, which is probably the same for a lot of their equipment
- It's generally agreed that a council of Elders is the most likely "government" and that it's one of the least stupid theories