A problem with the alliance in AVP

TDN, Human, 19 years ago

In the movie AVP, the girl allies herself with a predator to fight the aliens. In one of the director's commentaries he said that he want this to be like the theme of 2 people (or in this case, races) who hate each other, have to unite to fight a greater evil. But there's one problem I have, people assume right away that aliens are the greater of the 2 evils. In the movie, the girl witness Weyland and all her other buddies get killed by the predators. She never witness the scenes of the aliens attacking her buddies, and even then, the aliens captured them instead of killing them without thinking as the preds. The first alien she saw was Grid. But instead, it attacked the predator (Chopper I think) who was going to kill her. This would mean that she would view the alien as her saviour, considering it did just saved her life. Yet instead of doing that, she just automatically assume that the aliens were the evil ones and she said "can't let them reach the surface". Why would she chose to do that when she should have clearly viewed the peds as the greater evil because she has witnessed all of their killings of her "friends". Why then did she chose to ally with the predator. I felt that this alliance was forced in away. That this was just a set up of the film, feels very scripted. What do you guys think.

TDN, Human, 19 years ago

I think they had thought of doing an aliens cartoon series once. It was called Operation: Aliens. Thank god that never aired.
I think they can use humans or preds for 2 purposes, capturing them and make them hosts, or feed off them. I guess if anything else that they might view as a threat they kill instead.

Unknown, Human, 19 years ago

Let's put it this way, who do you trust first, the humanoids with weapons and a shred of intelligence and civilization or the giant serpents with two sets of jaws, a giant tail and are spawned out of you for the purpose of killing more of your kind. It wasn't very appropriate she join sides with either of them but "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

haha another cliché, the last thing that movie needed.

--

Psycopaths never forget and the only way to forgive is an eye for an eye.

Iseijin, Human, 19 years ago

Don't jinx it man, lol. Next thing you now they're gonna put an AvP cartoon series filled with cheesy quotes like than and at thus horribly mutilating both franchises as we know it.

You know, there was something else that passed my mind. If the Aliens are supposed to get hosts for the Queen's eggs why did they kill the humans and Preds? That's like deleting your own population chances on increasing.

ISEIJINSIG.bmp.jpg

~ No one is taller than the last man standing ~
~ Males conquer, females rule ~

TDN, Human, 19 years ago

Yeah I know Isejin, I thought that the quote was also sounds very cheesy and outright stupid. It sounds like something on one of those kid's educational television shows.

daveberg, Human, 19 years ago

I see what you're saying dude, the preds did seem to randomly kill in AVP. I think on the whole, the script could have been restructured to stick to the mythos of both creatures a little more strictly, i mean, as an alien fan, i hated to see the chestation period last no more than about 5 minutes......

(And paranoid - yeah, a little, i think katam took me the wrong way a few days ago, just wanted to check i didn't seem to abrupt of brash in my opinions.)

anotheralpha.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron

TDN, Human, 19 years ago

I'm not implying that the aliens are fodders. I personally hated the idea. They're quite intelligent and very strong to be cannon fodders. What I'm saying is that the preds in the movie seemed to treat them like cannon fodders. And plus, I am also not really for the idea that the preds have an honour code. In the Predator movies, you never saw it with any type of honour code that it has to go by. It just kills outright, anuthing it sees. The reason they want strong foes is because (in my view) they're kind of sadistic. It's like toying with your prey before killing them, wanting them to put up a good fight so your kill is worthwhile. The honour code, just like the addition of a predator language was added by the novels and comics. It therefore is not considered canon. This is only my view of things so please don't get mad at me Predator fans. I apologies for anything I cause to you by my comments.

"Enemy of my enemy is my friend"? Lol, what a load of body excretions. I'm surprised even Scar bought that.

ps - Nope, I don't think that. Getting a little paranoid over there? lol

ISEIJINSIG.bmp.jpg

Yeah granted, both of you have good points, damn, i love convos like this, makes me proud to be in good company.....

ps - quick question, do i seem to come across as being really short when i post on here? I get the feeling people think i try to patronise them or something along those lines.

anotheralpha.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron

Hmm...Touche' for both of you. Great point Daveberg, forgot that little tidbit. Yeah, that would be more a more natural approach as to why Lex sided with Scar. But no matter how humanoid he may look he still isn't 'human', which is why I was confused why Lex still hung about with Scar near the end when all I would do was put as much distance as I could from both the Predator and the Queen, "Let those too busy themselves, I'm outta here!" sort of thoughts. I mean, it killed Aliens, yes, but also humans. Who's to say that Scar wasn't going to kill her afterwards? That alone would make me want to stay away from him.

ISEIJINSIG.bmp.jpg

Oh man - don't get me started. The aliens are the more dominant of the two - they are pure bred killers, survivors of the higest order, the preds can't claim to be able to survive under extreme environmental conditions as they need heat to regulate their bodies, plus they are held to a strict honour code which hinders their abilitys. Without weaponry, a predator would fall. Period. Lex knew siding with the predator held the promise of stopping an 'alien epidemic' if you will. Aliens only become 'fodder' as you put it, when the predators are packed up to the teeth with weaponry, remember, they have to train to become killers, aliens are born from death, it's all they know.

(And hey, i let you in on a little secret.....i've watced it a few times since i got the DVD, it's growing on me, but i'm still extremely dissapointed with it over all, i waited for so long to see the aliens again and Paul anderson served up this turkey of a movie.)

anotheralpha.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron

TDN, Human, 19 years ago

Well, but you see, if he explained to her their history, she would have learned that the peds breed the aliens for hunting therefore (for a lack of better words) using them as "cannon fodders". This means that the preds are more dangerous of the 2 because they treat the aliens only as fodders. She learned the history but which race would you think is more threatening, a race that can only have an advantage by sheer number or a tachnologically advanced race that wipes out a whole civilization in one explosion (she heard about this from Sebastian by the way). That still doesn't quite explain it yet but you brought up a good point.
P.S I thought you hated this film Daveberg, why are you "defending" it? Maybe you aren't but sometimes it looks to me that way. Don't get me wrong I have no problem against it.

According to sebastian in the film, he translates the markings on the wall and tells the tale of the history of the beasts to lex - my point is, the anchient art showed that the aliens were the more threatening of the two races (the scene with the hundreds of xenomorphs on the pyramid) The predators were civilized enough to walk the earth with the humans, teaching them how to build etc, this is how i come to think lex made the conclusion that it was a better strategy to side with scar.

Damn. I'm good. ;)

anotheralpha.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron

Quinn, Human, 19 years ago

yes yes you did i guess it would have to do with how the aliens breed she found that out by the was or thier apperance.

"Tis time the B!tch Is Back"
Mysig.bmp.jpg

You know, I have never thought of that. You bring up a really good point there.

ISEIJINSIG.bmp.jpg

celtic102, Human, 19 years ago

i could not agree more with u ......

celtic1027tw.jpg
Celtics Back ! ! !

Unknown, Human, 19 years ago

yeh but the pred didnt give her a gun and asked her to help kill the commandoes

The Black Warrior gets everyone.

Topdogg, Human, 19 years ago

sorry but in both pred films they DID show there honour like in pred 1 the pred never killed that asain girl because she didnt have a weapon which arnie also states, in pred 2 the scene were kills every one on the train he stopped when it came to that female police officer and u saw him scan here belly and see the baby hense here being taken out in a stretcher later on

preds will kill anything they feel threatend by i.e people with guns

topdogg2.jpg

nicholaskang, Human, 19 years ago

lex at least had a brain coz xenos hav no mercy so itll kill her and the gestation should have been like alien something like sebastian is running he meet adelle and suddenly while running she gives him a shock u noe wat i mean and scar shud hav killed her she proved herself worthy prey by killin the xeno anderscum ped up the movie

True enough, but a primal instinct would be for the humans to side with anything that looks remotely 'humanoid' if you see what i mean, faced with that situation, dispite the predators hostile actions i know who i'd feel more comfortable taking my chances with.

anotheralpha.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
darkness of acheron

Still, a first reaction would be embedded in someone's mind with much more force than if it were learned. In a stressful situation such as that it would be 'expected' in a way for Lex to side with the Aliens seeing as primordially she viewed the Predators as "evil" first.

ISEIJINSIG.bmp.jpg