Early Prometheus Drafts

Deathdrop, Yautja, 11 years ago

I'm reading this right now. It's VERY different from the finished version so far. Anyone else read it yet?

Mebber, Yautja, 11 years ago

No... different in a good way? There are quite some changes in Prometheus i'd have appreciated.

Edit1: Just started reading - wow, even the first three pages contain some very interesting differences.

*SPOILER ALERT*

There's also that they land on LV-426 rather than a new planet. The broad strokes are the same, but the details are very different.

EDIT: Awesome first half, but falls apart completely toward the end.

*SPOILERS

Dunno what to think of that. Greatly differs from the final movie.
I really liked the first third, more than Prometheus actually. But it became more and more hilarious over time. "ULTRAMORPH"? Jeez, Seriously? Sounds like a new breed for a shitty AvP3 movie. Alien skull as a trophy? Wash survives a chestburster birth AND manages to do some stunts afterwards? That's even more unbelievable than seeing her sprinting after the operation in the movie. Weird. And that god-vision thing reminded me of a predator mask copy. The whole plot was pretty derivative from the first movie i think. An alien wreaks havoc on the ship, the android goes rogue and tries to kill Wash... reminded me of Ash losing it. And that scene with the condensed water? Sounds like Brett death chamber. There were several scenes which simply appeared like clearly derivative from the original movies to me.

But some things were really cool. The thing with the completely materialistic corporate greed of Weyland to obtain something so powerful like terraforming tech was fine, nice motivation, liked that idea more than the approach in the movie. Generally, the chars acted more plausible in the draft imho (sure, there were exceptions), more like actual pros and not stupid children finding their parents secret candy chamber. The overall plot was much less confusing then the one from Prometheus, and the metaphysic theme was toned down. But it degenerated to some sort of AvP2-style stupid action plot.

David was nice, too. Liked how his contempt for his creators shined through. "Are you disapointed, now as you see your creators? I understand that, i know i was." Nice saying from him! But i wonder why he helped them (or how he survived) in the end - he did knew of the engeneers plans to destroy earth before waking the engeneer, why he suddenly changes mind and tries to help Wash?

Also, when the 79 Alien is revealed, there's this big, epic buildup... And then it gets shot and killed by someone who's barely alive.

BloodHarpy, Yautja, 11 years ago

^I went from excited to........disappointed.

I will be SO angry if they do another installment of Prometheus and it ends up like(dare I say?) AVP:R.

^ It's pretty much impossible for that to happen.

Peterson, Yautja, 11 years ago

No because thats what we all said about AVP now look we have a shitty ass sequel...

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

To be fair, we didn't think the bar could be set so low, especially not after the first AVP.

Now we know it can always be so much lower.

Nothing Ridley Scott is involved in has that potential. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I trust him.

DarkLioness, Yautja, 11 years ago

"Wash survives a chestburster birth AND manages to do some stunts afterwards?"

It is official................. now I'm worried.

It's not like the version in the finished movie was any less ridiculous.

I think it was a bit less unrealistic... maybe 10% percent. At least her chest didn't exploded from the inside...

"Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I trust him."
I thought exactly the same prior to the release of Prometheus, but that movie somehow hit me hard.

I get that it was disappointing, but I still think the comparisons to the AVP movies are unfounded.

Yeah, that's true... AvP plays in an entirely own, different league of bad quality.

DarkLioness, Yautja, 11 years ago

I think what everyone meant was they're afraid that the next Prometheus might end up LIKE the AVP series. AvP one was bad but no one really cared. We were all happy to see a Xeno and a Pred duke it out on screen. Then when we asked to see what happend when a Facehugger got a Predator on screen, we got AVP:R. That series ruined any chance at a proper reboot for AVP on film.

With Prometheus we want to see the Protomorph again and we want to see the birth of the Xenomorph we're familier with. However, we don't want a repeat of AVP:R.

I understand that, but I think it's not even worth worrying about. AVPR was so, so, so bizarrely, impossibly bad that I have to believe someone got fired over it.

We do not have to worry about that as long as Ridley Scott's name is attached.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

Apparently Prometheus is already 'bad' to a lot of people, so it couldn't possibly get much worse, and it certainly couldn't get as bad as the piece of stank ass that was Requiem.

I mean, seriously, they could edit in one split second of a limp dong and it would still be better than AVPR.

At least for me, Prometheus wasn't good because it was messed up by some serious flaws of quality film-making (i must admit, i belong to the guys who've got really an issue with that movie).

AvPR was just plain bad because it was simply garbage sold as a movie, which had nothing to do with quality film making whatsoever.

Don't think these two can be compared to each other in any way, they're poles apart.

Wow, here's yet another previsous draft out. This time it's Damon Lindelof’s first draft, called "Paradise."

This promises to be interesting.

daveberg, Yautja, 11 years ago

Spaights draft was basically Alien 0.5 - we've seen it all before and it offered very little fresh material that hasn't been on screen before. I much preferred the final version we got to see in theatres. It was bold enough to be different despite knowing it would receive heavy backlash from 'fans'.

The one thing I will say, is that Prometheus should have followed the original script, in terms of setting the whole ordeal on LV4-26. Why go to all those lengths to show us a proto-xenomorph, a chest burst Engineer and a crashed derelict, all of which should have preceded Alien, and to have all those events happen on another random moon orbiting the same planet as LV4-26....? Makes little to no sense to me other than to keep the cash cow going and leave the film open to further instalments.