Prometheus Sequel Speculation

Deathdrop, Yautja, 11 years ago

Discuss possible story threads here.

concretehunter, Yautja, 11 years ago

I don't want her going to the engineer planet, That would be stupid and probably wont happen due to lack of characters to use.

It would be pretty interesting if the only characters in the movie were Shaw and David, though. Imagine them, alone on a completely alien world. Talk about claustrophobic.

And since David watched Shaw's dreams in hypersleep for who knows how long, he would really know what makes her tick. Hell, he knows more about her then her own husband did, and she has no idea whether or not she can trust him.

And yet she can't get rid of him, because he'd be her only way of navigating the planet (which may or may not be empty).

There could be all sorts of flashbacks to her life as she works her way through this completely alien, unnatural environment, maybe even starting to crack under the pressure, maybe even hallucinating occasionally. You can imagine what her dreams would be like.

I'd also like to see them utilize that holographic recording trick from Prometheus again, because I'm a sucker for seeing the same place at different time periods.

As for the Xenos... They should be left alone. Maybe framing scenes at the beginning and end where a WY team searches LV-233 for signs of what happened only to meet the now-fully-grown Protomorph.

Get Giger to design some weird shit, find a better screenwriter (maybe the guy who did "Monsters," which was quite good) and you'd be good to go.

jaguargod, Yautja, 11 years ago

I think that we have seen the last of Shaw and David. I don't think there is anywhere to go with the story of Shaw going to the Engineer homeworld. If she goes there, and they are like the Engineers on LV-223, they will kill her immediately. If not, it would be a really boring story, as they would probably just sit around discussing philosophy.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

^That's actually a fascinating idea if done right or with the right premise. Discussing philosophy is all that's ever done in, say, Benjamin Button: other than the fact that he goes to war for like, 20 minutes and grows young, you can't say something exciting about his story like maybe that he learned to control the Hulk within.

No, it's just Brad Pitt being an old young guy. Who'd watch that, right? Boring story! He'd probably just discuss philosophy!

Or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Jim Carey not being funny? Rose from Titanic colors her hair 'cause she's spontaneous? They break up? Boring! They'll probably just discuss philosophy!

...and they did. And it was one of the best movies I've ever seen for the way that they did it.

...Not that Ridley should follow suit. I mean, I want to see David & Shaw on a very foreign, very hostile alien world.

It doesn't have to be boring. You could have some action scenes with some of the Gigeresque critters roaming around, or bad weather, or just about anything else. Also, if you go into Shaw's head, you could have all kinds of creepy shit going on with her dreams and such.

I think a slower, more horror-based approach would be good. I'd also point out that there are tons of scenes in Alien where it's just people talking about shares and infection protocols, and that this slow pace is what makes that movie so damn scary.

EDIT: Jesus Christ. I spelled "weather" with an "H".

daveberg, Yautja, 11 years ago

Agree with DD. Slow burners can be masterful if done in the right manner.

I just don't know if I want a sequel to Prometheus. I mean, really, I can't personally see shaw plus 'head' travelling to the Engineer homeworld, it would just seem a little cheesy to me. I'm all for leaving it alone now.

"Slow burners can be masterful if done in the right manner. "
Oh, definitely. I think part of seeing a film's brilliance is either knowing what to expect or not knowing anything at all.

However, the key to having either of those mindsets is that you should also be very open to any possibility. If you go into something with ridiculously high or unrealistic expectations, it can just ruin the shit out of a viewing experience, and Prometheus is probably the greatest example in recent movie history with the amount of people wishing it was going to be an all-out answer booklet filled to the brim with Xenomorph stickers.

What fans are asking for is impossible. They might as well pay Ridley to just sit on a luxurious chair in front of a camera wearing a robe near a warm fireplace while reading trivia cards. A mouthful, but so is the bullshit everyone's spewing out. Sure, the film wasn't perfect, but last time we asked for a Predalien, we got AVP-R.

"They might as well pay Ridley to just sit on a luxurious chair in front of a camera wearing a robe near a warm fireplace while reading trivia cards."

Not to derail the thread, but I would watch the shit out of that.

I agree about not revealing everything, though. Imply, suggest, show evidence of, but not just flat-out tell. There's a way to answer certain questions while still keeping it mysterious.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 11 years ago

Hey! How in the hell am I going to know what is going on if its not all spelled right out for me?!

I'm really torn on this, Prometheus was great and I don't want to see a half assed sequel ruin it.

^ Well, yeah. Nobody wants a dumb sequel. But I trust Ridley Scott pretty well, especially after Prometheus.

the_doctor, Yautja, 11 years ago

I for one am hoping for the Saturday morning cartoon series to happen. Y'know Shaw traveling around the universe in a stolen spaceship, solving mysteries with her android buddy's head that she carries around in a handbag. The action figure line to go along with it would be the greatest thing ever ;)

Supposedly the sequel will be called "Paradise," which could mean any number of things.

DarkLioness, Yautja, 11 years ago

@PREDATORv2

The only way not to get a half-assed sequel is if Ridley Scott directs the sequel.

Ok this is just my opinion but I think AVPR could have been a good movie if they didn't switch directors. I could be right I could be wrong.

^Apparently, the way bellybursters are born was always in the script.

Take from that what you will.

AVPR was the rare film where literally everything went wrong. The direction, acting, script, editing, effects, soundtrack, and even the MARKETING were all terrible.

When you think about it, it's actually amazing it got a theatrical release.

But anyway, that ship has long since sailed. This thread is about Prometheus.

We should get last decade's best directors to direct the fuck out of a new line of Alien films until a french guy eventually wants to throw in another walking vagina-dong with puppy eyes - we can stop before that happens.

Aw, c'mon, people. Don't make me beg.

Huh, I thought we were talking about the monster that killed off the Engineers last time I checked this thread.

Anyway, I think it'd be interesting to make use of that thing in the sequel. Somehow it ended up on an escaping Engineer ship (via the Queen method of shoving your entire body into a tiny wheel compartment) and laid waste to a good chunk of the population.

Then it'd be like the first film... but with a giant... thing.

It could perhaps be the worst idea ever written for the Alien films... or the best.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 11 years ago

Yeah there is a flaw in that plan, ENGINEER SHIPS DON'T HAVE WHEELS!!!!! Honestly right now I feel like making a crack about the only way a Prometheus sequel would work is with preds in it, however Daveberg isn't around to enjoy the comment...so it looses some steam in that regaurd.

With respect to DD, I'm going to conclude with the fact that I as a fan would like to see it being about Shaw's journey to the Engineer home world, however I just don't think a movie based on that would turn out very good.

I'm bumping this up, because why not?