The Opening of Prometheus

Deathdrop, Yautja, 11 years ago

So... What the hell was that opening all about?

daveberg, Yautja, 11 years ago

The origins of life on Earth. The Engineer sacrificing himself to seed an uninhabited planet.

The vial of black ooze broke down the Jockey's DNA, altering its coding and re-engineering (No pun intended) itself to create instead of destroy.

How it works is a complete head scratcher, as the ooze was classed as a Bio-weapon later on in the film, I guess it all depends on the user, or how it was distributed....?

From what that guy on AvPgalaxy was saying, the effects depend on WHY it's being used more so than who's using it.

In other words, the stuff somehow reacts to intent. If you're willing to sacrifice yourself, it can be use to create life, but if you're using it selfishly, it creates abominations.

Could it be the Engineers know something we don't concerning meditation? The one in the opening seemed to be performing some sort of ritual (the cloak, the "grail" he drank the liquid from, the ship, kneeling, etc.) that would have required a good deal of concentration. He's about to die to bring about new life. It's pretty heavy stuff, and he treats it with the respect it deserves.

When you dick around with it, though, the results are less than pretty. Basically, you have to know what you're doing when you use it. Is this making sense, or am I babbling?

Sounds pretty legit to me. And I think you may be onto something, it looking like some form of ritual - check out these images from the unused draft storyboards:

EngineerRitual.jpg

bug-hunt, Yautja, 11 years ago

May be it was some sort of punishment he had to sacrifice him self but some of the dna in his body survived or reacted with the water or he chose to bring life to the planet either way i like the idea of the single cells starting off in the seas of earth as this is how life began on our planet sorry bible bashers.

Most definitely an impressive opening scene, the scenery and way it was shot was fantastic. As I've made a habit of saying recently, I love the fact Ridley shot it this way, leaving the scene open to the audiences interpretation instead of dumbing it down to lamens terms. Provides such a large avenue for discussion on the forums, for geeks like us.

;o)

"sorry bible bashers."

Wait 'til they see the "Jesus was an emissary of the Engineers" theory.

ash, Yautja, 11 years ago

"From what that guy on AvPgalaxy was saying, the effects depend on WHY it's being used more so than who's using it."

This sounds right, David infected Hollaway with the liquid, Shaw always wanted a child but couldn't. So it created life. To me actually makes sense and will be going with this theory.

So the Jockey's on LV-223 wanted to use the cargo of pods to destroy the humans on earth. Whether they have to have direct control of the pods intent for it to work I guess there plan backfired as a product like this is uncontrollable. Bringing back the meaning of Prometheus, they made something that creates great things but also destroys.

Makes you wonder whether Shaw will end up pulling a Jesus in the 2nd or 3rd film...

Praetorian, Yautja, 11 years ago

I'm praying that doesnt happen!

chinkycat Pictures, Images and Photos

-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

^lmao.

The opening sequence of the film was probably the most confusing (and curious) thing about it, if only for the fact that someone like me should have already been accustomed to seeing the type of design in the environment and creatures Prometheus had to offer.

It made me glad I didn't look at any spoilers beforehand, because I wasn't ready for the un-helemeted Engineer AT ALL, so that whole sequence was just one what-the-fuck after the other.

Admittedly, it was hard taking in all that information in the short amount of time it exploded in our faces. Though I didn't get why Shaw's boyfriend (fiancee? Husband? I don't even remember) was acting like a drunk at first. That was the only thing that seriously confused me that shouldn't have, probably.

I mean, Space Jockey is now Engineer and that freaky looking face was just a helmet, sure, that was freaky shit, but after catching my breath, I realized stuff like that was to be expected. The dude's behavior was just weird though.

^ I actually kind of liked the weird shit bombardment, but I get what you mean about that guy. Very odd performance. More the fault of the screenwriter than the actor, I think. Having him call David "boy" was ridiculously on-the-nose, and then there's him not telling anyone (including his wife WHO HE JUST SLEPT WITH) that he was infected with a lethal alien virus.

FireHunter, Yautja, 11 years ago

On your comment about him not telling her about the lethal alien virus.

When nature calls..

Hilarious as that is, sadly, that's all too true in the real world.

I love the fact that not only did Shaw and Tom Hardy look-a-like get it on that night, but also Vickers and Idris Elba... and that guy with the glasses got laid. Or, more accurately, he got a reverse deep throat, which is a fuckin' nightmare in any language.

That dude's fate is even more depressing when you realizing he's the guy from One Day, and he didn't get to have movie sex with Anne Hathaway.

So he probably got luckier in Prometheus, considering he had anything close to sex at all.

Speaking of which, has anyone figured out why the worm did what it did, or does it just sort of... Jump into people's mouths?

Actually, I think it might, since it's not a naturally occurring organism. It's instincts don't make any sense or fit into the ecosystem at all. Same with the Xenos, when you think about it.

Linktrix291, Yautja, 11 years ago

Well, time to throw my facehugger in here.
alright.
the reason he was acting drunk was because he started realizing that the gods they had come to the planet to find, he was discovering werent all that great. they found the dead one. then if i remember correctly, right after the head exploded was when he jumped off the counter, took a swig, then left. he seemed to be getting depressed over realized that his and shaw's work might be for nothing. also that snarky (summary of remark) "this just proves that anyone with half a brain and dna can create life" besides somehow getting laid after that accidental insult, he seemed pretty depressed which can lead to drinking.

maybe he didnt tell people he was infected cause he knew what would happen if he was found out... "no one wants to die."

No, no, that I realized. I'm just saying, from the way the scene was playing out, you couldn't have possibly guessed that until after it happened. Right when the Jockey head exploded and he stormed off, all you could be thinking is, "Um, what?"

It doesn't help that your mind was worrying/thinking about all the other shit that was unfolding mid-scene, either. The sudden bunched-panties of this guy wasn't really necessary.

@DD: I'm assuming it was a weird Facehugger/Chestburster thing, like... it skipped the whole "laying" process and went straight to developing itself in the dude's chest. What's weird is I don't remember anything actually popping out of him - the punk geologist guy turned into a zombie, sure (I think), and Shaw's man collapsed under the heat...

It's almost sad that I'm thinking more about the sad One Day guy rather than what David & Shaw are gonna do in Prometheus 2.

They should do a series of 5-minute shorts set between the two movies that just consist of those two sitting there awkwardly trying to make conversation on the ride to the Jockey Homeworld.

"So... Did you see the dream where I was taking the SATs but then the teacher was a sandwich?"

"Yup."