-Bloo-, Yautja, 11 years ago

Internet shorts in the style of The Office or something would be the best thing ever.

Honbuka, Yautja, 11 years ago

It is not so good as expected

Deathdrop, Yautja, 11 years ago

^ I agree that it doesn't even touch Alien, but it could have been a lot worse with one of the LOST guys writing the screenplay... But anyway, this isn't a review thread, it's for discussion of the opening scene.

tawganator, Yautja, 11 years ago

check this out

unseen-engineer-from-prometheus1.jpg

What is being called Elder Engineer

Some of the behind-the-scenes stuff shows a whole group of them.

tawganator, Yautja, 11 years ago

Also with them creating life then deciding to destroy it. It just could be that some of them are homicidal maniacs and like destroying entire planets. Cause when you are from an extremely ancient race and have all that power at your command it can be very intoxicating having control over others. Some could be good and some can be bad. Let us not be stereotyping an entire race based on a few bad eggs

The recent reveal of the extended version of the opening shows a large group of cloaked Jockeys. I saw a theory that it was some sort of execution (the gods punishing Prometheus), which makes some sense.

That's interesting. I wonder if that can be considered canon. If so, it looks like our Jockey-wanting-to-create-life theory goes straight through the window. Which is kind of disappointing. The dude's still probably some rebel badass though - just not for the reasons we'd like to believe.

Unless he was either punished for creating life or the punishment IS to create life.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 11 years ago

So the thought is the creation of human life was an isolated incident by a rouge Engineer? Anybody else noticed how the Engineer in the beginning was basically human, while the one we see later is similar however I don't think its wearing a suit. I think the xenomorph'ish body design is actually it's skin. Anybody else agree on this?

Though I think that was only a suit (the helmet and cockpit also "morphed" with the Jockey's body), you're probably right in using it as an example to differentiate between the nature of the naked one at the beginning and the one that gets date raped by tentacles - if the "evil" Engineer were the one to sacrifice itself at the beginning, humans could have turned out to be something completely different.

Like, we could have been tentacle date rape monsters.

OTANG, Yautja, 11 years ago

'leaving the scene open to the audiences interpretation instead of dumbing it down to lamens terms.'
This was my exact reaction. I enjoyed that Ridley Scott left so much of the film open ended and not intent on tying up every possible loose end like George Lucas did for Star Wars. For example, when an Alien was finally introduced, it was not the form we have all been accustomed to. The opening scene did leave me in a WTF stupor but as the rest of the film continued, I noticed it's peculiar importance left much for the imagination.

BTW, I am just visiting, but good to see some subject matter here is relevant.

Sometimes we even get on-topic in the off-topic thread, which really just makes me want to quit life.

Also, good god, it's been years, Otang.

Christ, was that Otang? Been a while.

Yeah, I thought at first some idiot bumped up a thread from 300 years ago and then deleted his post.

It seems you either love Prometheus or hate it. Many people think it was devoid of any need for use of your brain. While it's not a Christopher Nolan film, it sure as hell isn't Transformers 2. I liked how it was open to interpretation, like many have said.