Development status

Praetorian, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Just so all active members know, atm I'm FINALLY working on newsletter/messaging system, with it I intend to mobilize our community.

On a second stage I'll allow admins to message members personally.

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Will you at all be in need of any new moderators if the site becomes pouplar enough?

PREDATORv2, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Awesome news P.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

That sounds great, but is this all we'll be expecting to see, or is there more planned?

daveberg, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Nice work, P. Interested to see the outcome of this.

Gaunt, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Going with Bloos question.

Is it intended that the whole site goes through a development process (I know the sites layout has already been re-done).

And if so would any administrative assistance be required?

After the newsletter/messaging feature my idea is to allow, at least admins to create/update content to what is known as Encyclopedia.

There is already a very rough content manager, I would have to make it more accessible.

But I'm open to other suggestions, I know there are already some topics about it.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

This sounds pretty cool. It's good (although weird) to see the place change so rapidly after so long.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Since you're here, I think there was an issue with moderators not being able to choose new clan leaders some time ago, which made the whole clans thing stagnate for the whole site because most clans have no active leaders? Or was it just that we were too few and there were no proper candidates for clan leadership?

We were also talking about the usefulness of a Search option for the forum, to avoid new members making the same thread over and over again, have you considered anything like that?

By the way, all the changes look good so far, except for the "Latest Visits" category no longer displaying the respective hour and minute of the respective visits; is that intentional, or is that feature coming back?

I'm not sure about the coding aspect of it, but i'd love to see a 'bump topic' option added for admins - It would keep Alien/predator topics on top and current instead of everyone heading straight to off topic threads all the time.

^ That would be preferable to the current way, which is to post a wordless reply to a topic and then delete it.

I do like the off-topicness once in a while. You're right, though -- it'd be nice to see people actually talking about the site's namesake again. Which is happening, and that's great.

Since you're here, I think there was an issue with moderators not being able to choose new clan leaders some time ago, which made the whole clans thing stagnate for the whole site because most clans have no active leaders? Or was it just that we were too few and there were no proper candidates for clan leadership?

DONE - Ok will do, but i will only give the power to Admins, it's a very important power.

We were also talking about the usefulness of a Search option for the forum, to avoid new members making the same thread over and over again, have you considered anything like that?

Indeed i have, I'll have to decide if I'll use google insite search or implement a search feature.
Probably Google is the best but not so customizable option.

By the way, all the changes look good so far, except for the "Latest Visits" category no longer displaying the respective hour and minute of the respective visits; is that intentional, or is that feature coming back?

DONE - I thought that information wasnt of great use, I'll bring it back but with the new "minutes ago" logic, you agree?

I'm not sure about the coding aspect of it, but i'd love to see a 'bump topic' option added for admins - It would keep Alien/predator topics on top and current instead of everyone heading straight to off topic threads all the time.

DONE - Will do.

I will keep this post updated on the status of this changes.

Fantastic. Thanks for your efforts, P.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Thank you, indeed. The Latest Visits thing is mostly useful for knowing if there's someone likely to respond to a post you just made, so you'd know if you should go back to a thread and wait for a reply or leave the site and return later, not much else.

I'm really liking the redesigned layout.

Gaunt, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I had a thought (dangerous I know).

All new members that come to this site seem to be getting lost and confused, they can't seem to find the beginners guide, they seem to get lost after registration.

Are there any plans to make the site more supportive to new members?

Perhaps a button that pops up and redirects new users to the rules after registration (I know that things like that can be done, I just lack the full scripting knowledge), or making a short video tutorial on how to navigate the site, that plays after registration.

I bring this up after thinking, 'If intrest in this site does go up, do we want to be spammed to death by confused new members?'.

Thoughts and ideas on this?

That's actually not a bad idea. I'm afraid it's hard to do right, though, due to the fact that any new members will undoubtedly skip the rules once redirected there and begin their inevitable FAQ-trek.

Any kind of confirmation of having read the rules will be thrown out the window because of our nature to frantically check "I agree" without actually having read anything resembling a rule. (That's not just me, right?. . . I mean, dumb new members!)

Maybe it's in our nature to think no one's asked the question before and that we absolutely have to have an answer (because by making a thread, they're certainly gathering attention). It's not like we can just load the rules page and ctrl-F and wait just a goddamn minute.

5mbpt1.png

Aaaah.

I agree with you Gaunt, actually a video is really not a bad idea.

Another thing that might be useful is to send a welcome email after registration with some explanation of the rules and what this site is all about.

Atm I'm developing a change to the skill system, I wont get into details, hope you'll like it. I intend to finish it in about a week.

A new skills system? I like the sound of that. At this point the current system is for nothing but show and intimidation (...which probably works really well). I hope the amount of time people put into the new one will actually be worth something, though.

Topdogg, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Sounds good P, glad to see the sites making progress.

TD