Why AvP2 is doomed to fail already...

BadXAsh, Undefined, 16 years ago

Continuity wise I can look past small things. In Alien 3 when they started out the movie with the queen having laid eggs on board the Sulaco at some point so that it could cause them to crash, killing off 75% of the surviving cast, I thought that sucked... but okay I'll accept it an move on. In Aliens 4 when they cloned Ripley and the queen and they shared DNA from each other, causing the queen to give birth to a human/alien hybrid... i was a bit disgusted but alright, I'll settle down and buy it cause I liked the crew of the Betty and Ripley, and the movie was almost over... When AvP came along... That was it, it was the final straw.

I mean for cryin out loud, here are two Sci Fi block buster monsters with 7 movies between the two of them all with an R rating, this should have been a blockbuster clash of the titans!!... here comes a movie where they fight each other on earth present day... (Which i could let go because they were in an extreme remote location) and what was the rating they gave it... a teeny friendly PG-13... Ugh god... The one break in continuity that i have not been able to forgive or over come is the fact that when the Face hugger jumped on those guys in the sacrifice room, the time it took for complete gestation was what... and hour? Unforgivable!! (No to mention the acting sucked, the action sucked, and the movie plot was hurried along faster then a nerdy virgin during his first time...)

Okay here comes AvP 2... The one glaring issue I see staring me in the face right off is that it is present day in a small town... Forget budgets and such, because a lot of GOOD sci-fi movies back in the day were made with a very small budget. If they dropped all the Computer generated effects and monsters i'm sure they would have a pretty penny to spend on plot development and sets. Not to mention green screen can be good if you spent some of that money on it. This should not take place on earth... period... All it takes is one alien... one... one face hugger... One larva... And the outbreak begins again, and spreads and soon the earth will be consumed in Aliens LONG before Ripley can sacrifice herself fighting to keep the Aliens away from earth...And Aliens are crafty as been shown in SEVERAL MOVIES!!! They plan for that, they hide eggs away... now i haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm betting they will kill a bunch and yay they win the day... what about the eggs the Aliens would hide away...

In closing, I love both the Aliens and Predators, I'm an Alien fan boy from way back. Back when they created those movies with no computer graphics that tend to soak up all the money for the movie's development... Will i watch AvP2? Probably... Why? Because I'm hoping that should they make an AvP3 or A sequel to either Aliens or Predator that they will get an old school director or a hot new talented writer who will say 'Wow those last few films stunk on ice, I'm gonna bring it back to the old school days!' so I have to support it once... to show that there is some level of interest out there. Have I watched AvP1 more then once... hell no... will I buy the DVD? Nope...

If you love AVP or Either series, I suggest going out and finding the Books, Most of them are REALLY good. (most of them) Yes I know I said Read, scary thought but the theater of your imagination is so much better then the crap Hollywood can pump out nowa days. Enjoy!

voodoopred, Undefined, 16 years ago

I don't mean to be rude, but shut the heck up thats relly insulting to the fans of the alien series and AvP!

shadowatching, Undefined, 16 years ago

he is half right. But, avp2 is going back to the basic's. So, the avp first one did kinda was bad, understandable new directors and all, but this second one is back to the basics

predator428, Undefined, 16 years ago

You don't know much about avp-r do you?

Edit: I am adressing the person that made this topic, not you shadow.

tropic, Undefined, 16 years ago

regarding the gestation period,it has been spoken that the gestation period was accelerated using some kind of drug,i can see your arguement but have you just watched avp? its 3 years old and all these arguements have been done to death.so to come and damn avp-r without seeing it and comparing it to avp is downright silly,but you can forgive the shortcomings of alien 3 and alien res without batting an eyelid?smells to me like you are jumping on a bandwagon that has very little momentum on this site.barring a few regular visitors avp-r is welcomed by the majority on here.good to here from you though,welcome.

PREDATORv2, Undefined, 16 years ago

ha- thats all I have to say about this because it is just one persons opinion, you can talk about how terrible the movie is going to be, but the point is you havent the clue until you've seen it, as for the books, I'm not impressed with any of books, I've read a few, I cant say I've read them all but still they dont do much for me. As for more of the Predator or alien movies, never going to happen.

Saint, Undefined, 16 years ago

HEY I liked Alien 3, despite the lack of Hicks surviving. But you're right AVP was a letdown on many levels, starting with the child-level rating. Yet you can't assume that AVP:R is gonna suck. Now im not one of the people who are goin crazy over it because i dont want to get my hopes up, but i dont think you should automatically think its gonna suck 'cause of it's predissesor.

Ahhh the thrill of debate! I love it! Lets begin...

I don't mean to be rude, but shut the heck up thats relly insulting to the fans of the alien series and AvP!

I don't see how constructive criticism is insulting? Honestly. As a graphic artist I live and love criticism... It helps me refine, make my work better. And as I said I myself am a fan of Aliens and predators, along with the several comic and graphic novel series of AvP. I mean if i came on here and said AVP SUCKS BALLS!! I could understand your point be because I've brought constructive arguments... I think your statement invalid... I don't mean to be rude mind you...

he is half right. But, avp2 is going back to the basic's. So, the avp first one did kinda was bad, understandable new directors and all, but this second one is back to the basics

Back to basics certainly leaves me hopeful but Watching the trailer it certainly *LOOKS* more like the basics but again, Clever editing can make anything look good. I remain guarded against letting my hopes get up. Not to mention the fact my argument against making it on modern day earth in a small town. One alien escapes at any stage and the outbreak spreads and in a dense population it would spread quite rapidly. BUT i could look past that if the plot and story is good.

You don't know much about avp-r do you?

No more then what i've seen in the trailer on the website. Oh that and the fact that the guy that plays shawn geairetti from Rescue me is in it! hehe. My main gripe/ worry at this point is, if it's a well written story and the fact that it's in small town USA modern day. But i'll certainly change and adjust my perception of the film after i've seen it.

regarding the gestation period,it has been spoken that the gestation period was accelerated using some kind of drug,i can see your argument but have you just watched avp? its 3 years old and all these arguments have been done to death.so to come and damn avp-r without seeing it and comparing it to avp is downright silly,but you can forgive the shortcomings of alien 3 and alien res without batting an eyelid?smells to me like you are jumping on a bandwagon that has very little momentum on this site.barring a few regular visitors avp-r is welcomed by the majority on here.good to here from you though,welcome.

*Chuckles* No no no... did you read my post? Yes i saw AvP once. Sure the arguments may be old but with the coming of the new movie It brings up fears of a "Sequel" in more ways then one are certainly justifiable as Hollywood is not known for giving a crap about continuity at times. As it's often proved. All the short comings of the previous movies were certainly not taken lightly at the time, but i got over them because they didn't distort the over all physiology of the Aliens or predator as a whole. (Well except in Alien Reserection... but trust me i was shaking my head at that point. I'm not lookin to start an Anti-AVP boo don't go see it bandwagon, My thread title was merely to draw attention and inspire some good discussion about hopeful improvements, and share in the woah's of bad writing and movie effects in the past. I even said we need to go see the movies, even the bad ones, to support the cause. To let them know yes we are interested and we hold out hope it will get better over time (though that isn't the case sometimes)

ha- thats all I have to say about this because it is just one persons opinion, you can talk about how terrible the movie is going to be, but the point is you haven't the clue until you've seen it, as for the books, I'm not impressed with any of books, I've read a few, I cant say I've read them all but still they don't do much for me. As for more of the Predator or alien movies, never going to happen.

Look I never said the movie was going to be terrible, I expressed concerns with the writing of some of the previous movies and that I am going at this one with low expectations that way when and if it's actually a back to basics and a rockin story i will be blown away. I fully agree I won't know till i get there. I think what i liked about the books is it showed us more Colonial Marines action. Which frankly was one of my favorite points about Aliens. Big bad ass military guys who didn't stand a chance. Eh. I also read them years ago so they might not hold the same appeal anymore. As for singular Aliens or Predator movies... yeah... I have to agree with you there.. but hey Their makin another Indiana Jones movie and i thought sure as hell that would never happen again... haha

HEY I liked Alien 3, despite the lack of Hicks surviving. But you're right AVP was a letdown on many levels, starting with the child-level rating. Yet you can't assume that AVP:R is gonna suck. Now im not one of the people who are goin crazy over it because i don't want to get my hopes up, but i don't think you should automatically think its gonna suck 'cause of it's predecessor.

I like Alien 3 as a stand alone, i liked the gritty feel of it and the character development. I also liked that Roc guy... I never out right said AvP: R was gonna suck, I attacked some of the glaring flaws i saw in continuity... And the fact that Hollywood loves making a quick buck off ill written scripts. I'm guarded... I'll go in with my hands deflecting my face and hopefully i will slowly lower them though out the movie if it's remotely good! heh You can only go up from low expectations right?

In closing You guys are WAY to defensive. I didn't come in here like some kid goin 'YO AVP LICKS BALLS!!' I tried to bring up valid concerns with continuity of the series as a whole. Do I know if it's gonna suck? of course not, will i go see it? Yes i stated i do... Mainly i was lookin for personal points of view from other fans not personal attacks claiming i suck, or am any less a fan of the series because i question the degradation of the series and fear for whats to come by sparking some debate. But I had a blast defending myself! heh, Let's hear some more concerns?!

TITANOSAUR, Undefined, 16 years ago

ever heard the term. "don't knock it till you try it." thats what your doing. I mayself had little to no liking to AVP 1. BUT! I loved Alien 3. it was a great movie. but its the fact that dispite AvP-R haven't even seen the white screen of the theatres your attacking it already. I think before you attack it. you should take the time to see it.

also I wouldn't act like you are now. I know your new, but your actions may attract the modes. you watch your step. btw try to show more respect to the fans. I am also an Alien fan and was pissed off about you bashing Alien 3. I wasn't to fond of ALIEN res, but I do enjoy the movie.

xeno_slayer, Undefined, 16 years ago

you guys are being a little harsh. he has some excellent points, even if the gestation period thing has been discussed already

_Zwecky_, Undefined, 16 years ago

I do actually some what agree with you there BadX.
And he is not attacking the film, he is merely stating his opinion on AvP-R and the downfalls in which it may suffer.

And as for not judging it before you see it, he can not prove that the movie will be bad, but none of us here can actually prove it is going to be great. You may think it is going to be, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will live up to your expectations. Don't get me wrong, I WANT the movie to be a success in the franchise, and not just another movie we wish was never made.

We will just have to wait till December.

Stalker, Undefined, 16 years ago

To be completely honest, there hasn't been a decent Alien or Predator movie for 15 years, AVP-R could potentially be the film to change all that. I have enjoyed the trailers alone more than the entirety of Alien Resurrection & AVP. Obviously an entire film cannot be judged by trailers alone, but I have faith that the movie will definitely surpass many people's expectations, as low as some of them may be.

On a side note, welcome to the site BadXAsh.

--QUOTE--
"ever heard the term. "don't knock it till you try it." thats what your doing. I mayself had little to no liking to AVP 1. BUT! I loved Alien 3. it was a great movie. but its the fact that dispite AvP-R haven't even seen the white screen of the theatres your attacking it already. I think before you attack it. you should take the time to see it.

also I wouldn't act like you are now. I know your new, but your actions may attract the modes. you watch your step. btw try to show more respect to the fans. I am also an Alien fan and was pissed off about you bashing Alien 3. I wasn't to fond of ALIEN res, but I do enjoy the movie."
--QUOTE END--

I wasn't making a direct assault on any one of the movies, In fact believe it or not I actually liked Alien 3 better then the original, Aliens was by far my favorite of the series. But Apart from the things that i stated annoyed me about Alien 3 I believe I stated that I enjoyed it for it's well written story, I just didn't like some of the continuity errors... Which I was making a point with Alien 3, that if the plot and writing are actually GOOD that i can look past continuity errors... My "knockin' it before i try it" was me just making comments on some of the danger areas that i already see forming for AvP:R, and I even say that we all still need to see it for better or for worse to support that which we love...

which brings me to my next point... How dare you? Please do not question my love of the Aliens series. I've been watchin these movies, reading these books, paintin these minitures, Hell even collecting the Card game (which i said i would never buy but i did) and Running the Aliens West end Games RPG games for YEARS!!! Now i have NO idea how old you are... and i'm not even going to guess with comments like son, and i've been playin and watchin since you were in diapers. Cause you could be older then I am but please don't question my Fan status or the level of my respect to the other fans. I did not come here and just spout out that any of the films 'Suck balls' or anything of that nature, I tried to bring up rational points of continuity errors and the decline of writing. Joss Wheadon wrote the screen play for Aliens Res, and he said they butchered the screen play he wrote. That fact concerned me greatly, but I still went and saw it, because i'm a loyal fan of the series. Then when I saw AvP I was excited thinking about all the great AvP story lines they could have pulled from, from all the comics. But then when i saw what they came up with i was very disappointed. So here comes a new one and i'm sorry if i voiced my concerns about being disappointed again. But you better believe i will still be there to watch it when it comes out. I'm sorry if you felt disrespected, but know that you are no more a fan of the series then I am.

--QUOTE--
you guys are being a little harsh. he has some excellent points, even if the gestation period thing has been discussed already
--QUOTE END--

Thanks man, I'm curious about this gestation argument, Now it's been awhile since i saw AvP, what is the argument? The eggs were all drugged up to make gestation an hour instead of a day?? I must have missed that explanation in the movie. Or is that an on the side kinda thing? I'm interested to learn more.

--QUOTE--
I do actually some what agree with you there BadX.
And he is not attacking the film, he is merely stating his opinion on AvP-R and the downfalls in which it may suffer.

And as for not judging it before you see it, he can not prove that the movie will be bad, but none of us here can actually prove it is going to be great. You may think it is going to be, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will live up to your expectations. Don't get me wrong, I WANT the movie to be a success in the franchise, and not just another movie we wish was never made.

We will just have to wait till December.
--QUOTE END--

EXACTLY!!! Thank you 100% yes... That's pretty much all i was way. Thank you very much man.

In closing check this site out (Possible spoiler alert) This guy claims to have a copy of the first draft script of AVP2 and There is apparently not much difference between first and last draft. He rips the writing apart. Mind you I have yet to read it myself as I'm at work, but i plan on reading it later. But for your own enjoyment and discussion here you go...
http://forums.nightly.net/lofiversion/index.php/t39552.html

--QUOTE--
To be completely honest, there hasn't been a decent Alien or Predator movie for 15 years, AVP-R could potentially be the film to change all that. I have enjoyed the trailers alone more than the entirety of Alien Resurrection & AVP. Obviously an entire film cannot be judged by trailers alone, but I have faith that the movie will definitely surpass many people's expectations, as low as some of them may be.

On a side note, welcome to the site BadXAsh.
--QUOTE END--

Couldn't agree with you more on every thing you just said. Thanks for the welcome I've been looking for a good passionet Aliens Forum and i just may have found one!

Deathdrop, Undefined, 16 years ago

The continuity issue is a simple one to resolve: Ignore both AvP movies. Think of them as an alternate reality or something. The latest Pred novels (with Preds called "Hish") and AvP movies can be one timeline, the original Pred and alien movies can be another.

Hahaha Kinda like the Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator graphic novel series? hehe I smell next summer's big blockbuster!!

The-Wolf, Undefined, 16 years ago

I'm just gonna put out my opinion of AvP-r..

I think it looks good. Theres a few little doubts about the film but it looks to be very good. To tell you the truth, this movie is going old school.

TITANOSAUR, Undefined, 16 years ago

oh I want to appologise. I couldn't read the second page till I posted. (my computer messes up at times) also I have a tendancy to get angry easly. my appologys. btw, what do you think of the concept of the Predalien? I mean, you talk about the story and such, and yet said nothing of the idea of the Predalien. although some of us already love the idea, what about you?

DeathWraith, Undefined, 16 years ago

As i`ve said 7 or 8 times before, it looks very good after the second trailer. But what i liked about the trailer were some individual, separate alien and predator scenes. I`m not yet saying that it`s going to be great, all i`m saying is that it will be way better than AvP1. I even said that it could be as good as Alien or Predator 2, but i`m not really all that excited about it. As most have said, we will see it and we`ll know then, hopefully it will surprise most of us in a good way.

Now BadX, please... please, for the love of Jeanne, stop quoting, it`s stressing me the hell out! Noone will fel negleted if you don`t put their whole post inside your own! PLEASE!! (don`t worry, i`m just saying this because i`m feeling pretty cold cos of the lack of heat in this room or so...)

ScarredShadow, Undefined, 16 years ago

AVP Requiem looks like it is going to be good. After seeing the trailers I have good expectations and few doubts. But the possibility of it being bad is always possible. I don't like to think that though. From the trailers it can be hard for many people to have doubts but everyone does have them. This is a debatible topic but there are always possibilities on both sides. It didn't seem the Brothers Strause over did anything but there were a lot of good. From the trailers so far I see alot of goods:
"The Wolf" Design and everything about him
Duel Plasmacasters
A new whip
The Predalien
The population countdown in the trailer
More Gore
Good Storyline
Good setting
Plasma pistol(gun)

My take is I would rather go into the movie theatre under the impression that the movie will be great. Because if you go into the theatre assuming its going to be bad you just won't enjoy the movie at all no matter how it turns out. But the possibility that it could be bad is always there. Don't like to think about that though. But I think its better going in thinking it will be bad. Personally I think it should be great. I have many good expectations.

DeathWraith, Undefined, 16 years ago

Actually it`s just the other way around, the worse you expect it to be, the better you`ll think it is. That`s why you should always expect the worst, otherwise it`ll be even more shocking if it`s not good. You should try that with water, approach the water under the impression that it will be cold as ice and you`ll experience as being actually warmer than you`d usually feel it.