AVP: Why the Hate? I praise it.

AVPFREAK, Undefined, 17 years ago

Omfg. Why does everyone hate AVP? Yeah that rhymes, sweet. But seriously guys. It's not bad. I've written a very well done review, not to brag, but I'm very proud of it, being an aspiring essay writer and all, that will soon be put up on Quinn's website. It talks of some main points for AVP. Some are the same views you guys have. One of those is that there is only really one major fault in it, and that is what while at times it seems massively hardcore, it tries to pull itself off as a lighthearted adventure film, with character dynamic between the creatures and the humans a little meshed. Alien vs. Predator attempted to focus on the creatures rather than the humans, which I actually enjoyed for once, but it did mess up in the balance between the two. And focusing on the monsters made it so the film was PG-13. In a movie called AVP, who really gives a cr@p about people getting diced? We want to see the beasts shredding each other to bits. THAT'S WHAT WE GOT!!

Praise.....

Come on guys, it had atmosphere. Just like Alien did, it used lighting to its advantage. Paul W. S. Anderson is the visual director of the decade in my opinion. Look, his films may not be very well constructed, but they look gorgeous. He also wrote a very interesting story that always held my attention in the movie. I praise his filmmaking, especially in AVP, because it is one of my all time favorite movies. He's a fanboy......what we saw was his dream, cooked up by the enormous admiration and respect he had for the original classics of the alien and the Yautja.

The action never runs down, it is a thrill ride, full of suspense and mystery. Also, special effects have never looked better in an alien film. Many of you disagree but I find the brutes in it to be the best looking they have ever been.

So answer me this..........

AVP: Why the Hate?

Sincerely,
AVPFREAK

AVPFREAK.jpg

~For centuries, human beings have worshipped these beasts as gods, beasts that will forever haunt us, beasts waging an eternal war.....~
http://www.freewebs.com/shanezilla

TITANOSAUR, Undefined, 17 years ago

I never said anythin' about haitin' it. I loved the movie. it just didn't have the things it had in the games. thats the only thing that it didn't have that I didn't like.

TitanosaurSig.jpg
http://z3.invisionfree.com/thehiveofthealiens
I destroyed stuff... it was cool!

navyspaz, Undefined, 17 years ago

I don't hate it, it just could've been a hell of alot better, was made by the wrong person. I hated that Lex was the star of the show, and it showed her dodging the queens tail and pretty much invincibile. getting kicked in the stomach by chopper and surviving. yet everyone but her died. even all the predators. I wish it was more about AvP then the humans evading them.

NavyMetalSigfromPRED.jpg
.::Messageboard Rules and RPG Information::.

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

i agree with avpfreak, avp was a good film i mean if it wasnt good then why did hundreds, or thousands of people buy the movie on DvD i mean i got my dad to go to singapore to get the speicial 2 disk edition ages before the spiecial edition came out

.. and if it got an R18+ i couldnt go and see it cuz im not over 18 yrs of age! and many fans arn'et so give paul anderson a brake!!!! i mean he was just showing his dream on the big screen not yours!!!!, i mean i would of done the same thing if i were the director... its not your story and film to make so Bu99er off!!!!!! it was his to make and not the fans.. End of story!!!!!

GigerDrone.jpg
A Creature of the Dark

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

AVP, in all honesty, I still enjoy watching. When I've got nothing to watch, I watch AVP. There are 2 ways to look at it in my opinion: from (most) fans perspectives, or from an action movie perspective.

From an action movie perspective the movie was great fun, I mean who doesn't love 2 creatures beating the cr@p out of each other? The movie, if looked at solely from an action movie perspective, is quite good & alot of fun.

Although if looked at from most fan's perspectives, AVP was riddled with horrid errors & inconsistencies. The aliens & predators were merely shells of their former selves, which took alot of the thrill out of the movie, as they didn't quite feel as great as they once were. Anderson's bias also seemed to get the better of him, & the only part in the movie where the preds even started to even up the score was after scar got his plasmacaster, meaning in anderson's mind a pred needs to be kitted up with his weapons to take on an alien.

The "relationship" between lex & scar was also completely rubbish, & the slo-mo shots of them running side by side were absolutely pitiful & ridiculous, & it even went so far that alot of ppl actually thought they were gonna have some weird kiss at the end *shudder*.

In a nutshell, as an action movie, AVP was quite good & alot of fun, but as an Alien/Predator movie, it could've been so much more, if I had to rate it I'd give it a 6/10

TheStalker.jpg

the_doctor, Undefined, 17 years ago

some people do hate the film mainly because alot of them felt they got ripped by the film, my opinion well it is entertaining but has alot of room for improvement, take the novalisation for example, its pretty good, a big improvment on the film (more fighting, more character devolpment)now if this was what AvP was then it would have been better.
but its not and we are left with a film that tries to be alien and aliens at the same time and does niether, you have the creepy dark settings and suspence but thats not what you really want, you want to see an alien and a predator going one on one and not just once in the film, heck there wasnt much vers-ing going on in the film. we get two fights and they both were average (well celtic v grid was too short).
i dont love the film or praise it, it added nothing special to either franchise but i still enjoy it, its a film you put on every now and then when theres nothing else to do. but not something to worship as the greatest film of them all.
like stalker i give it a 6/10 if not lower.

are you predator or prey?
http://huntinground.tripod.com/

yoyo.jpg

daveberg, Undefined, 17 years ago

A very modest score out of 10 doc, i'd give it a 4.

AVP was nothing but complete hype. It had us all salivating for over a year since we found out about it, and in the end, delivered us a poor adaptation of two franchise monsters that were classed in movie greatness. The script stank. The characters stank. The diabolical camera work during the fight scenes stank. The legnth of the movie stank, ok, i'll be truthfull - the whole thing stank. Anderson seems to destroy every comic/game to movie conversion he gets his hands on, he really didn't hold back with AVP.

I'll be fair, it had its moments, the fights (in some parts) were well worth waiting for, but were just far too short, the movie had so many plot holes, my brain ached from trying to decypher the hows and whys of all the bloopers that Anderson had left us. I mean, c'mon, time and time again i've held this side of the argument - wasn't you all just wishing for something better? SOmething with more atmosphere? something with more suspense? more action? Just more of anything really.

I shudder to hear the rumours that Anderson is trying to helm the next Alien movie. If that's so, i think i'll safely give up my status as a fan boy of the franchise, because aside from Event Horizon, Paul Anderson just isn't capable of making a good movie.

jgjkhgjkyhku.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

AvP wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, but it is far from decent. Too many mistake were made in it to be forgiven. I don't hate anderson, but I just think that AvP s ucked. It was hyped up. Allmost as much as Halo 2 was. And we know how both of them turned out. Decent, but not "totally sshmechs leet!!1111oneoneoneelvenelevenshift+1!!!!" as most opf the hype would leed you to belive.

Drenton.jpg
Stupidity works in mysterious ways. Its greatest achievement is solar-powered night-vision goggles.

Ramid, Undefined, 17 years ago

I thought the movie was quite good. I just didn't like the story line that much. When I see a movie I really pay attention to how the story is. That to me is important. And to me, the story wasn't good at all. The action was awsome though. I loved it. I also didn't like that it was rated pg-13. I know that's not a big deal, but to me it ruined part of the Alien vs. Predator story line. Because the original movies are rated r of corse, and it was scary, gory, and good, to me. I am into the gore of movies. I was upset whe I heard it wasn't r like it should have been. But other then that, it was.... ok. *rolls eyes*

Doom unto others as they Doom unto you

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

Why I hate it? No. I don't hate it, in fact I kind of like it a lot more than those stupid rip-offs, fortunately it was better than those. I only belittled it because it had so many mistakes to it. But just as a movie, it's good.

...But yes. Like Dave, Drenton and some others said; it was all hype. It was hyped up because it was the first AVP movie to have these legendary creatures go all out against each other. But the trailers did nothing for me. It just showed some wimpy parts of the movie along with the Alien's and Predator's parts of the bodies close up... I don't think that lived up to "Our Planet, their war. Whoever wins... We lose"... More like "Our planet, their gang war. Whoever wins... Anarctica will hold a "deadly" secret until ALIEN's time period".

00Bloo_sig11.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the Mental House just got caught."

StLkEr222, Undefined, 17 years ago

I have siad this before that I loved the film and like giger dome siad a lot of people couldnt see it if R( altho my Mom is the best mom in the world and would pay for my ticket and get me in) and Anderson is a good director he, likes to be creative and add things in the way he likes, he just picks the wrong type of moive, he should do his own moives.

A Good friend will bail you out of jail.
A true friend will be sitting next to saying" Danm.. we F ed Up."

I just couldn't sink my teeth into it. An alien film that didn't take itself too seriously. It just didn't have the same vibe that the other four Alien movies brought, there was no real tension, no real sense of panic or helplessness, Lex really didn't deliver as the heroine, in all i think it was the lack of character depth and length of movie that really killed it for me.

jgjkhgjkyhku.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

It started killing itslef in the trailers for all I care. Those trailers just asked to be shot, how vague they were.

00Bloo_sig11.png

i dont hate paul andersun make frist chestburster predalien,sound of predalien is cool paul making 3 unblooded predators kill frist alien be coming men ok for predators fans very hard to see two best preds go down be Grid and Queen look good to me,story is not to bad i like story,like aliens,preds be happy avp2 coming later i think avp3 wil coming out Fox learn from ter mistake i hope avp2 and predalien look avp2 game

in space no one can Hear you scream

I do agree to a certain extent shadow warrior, hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes and actually take heed from the fans pleas. We want a return to glory. A movie that stimulates us visually and blows us away with a strong storyline, accompanied by a complex in depth strain of characters for us to identify with.

There is the full possibility that AVP2 could be a total success, but don't hate me for saying i'm sceptical, i'll let you know when it arrives at our cinemas.....

jgjkhgjkyhku.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules

Jed-Chrizt, Undefined, 17 years ago

I've come to terms in agreement:: I love it. It's truly great movie, but could have been alot better. Lex had like +1000 Dex. to be avoiding all those attacks from the queen (I know that sounds a bit nerd-ish). The queen itself was another utter mess, I don't care how big it is, it can never avoid being blown up from 2000 feet below. The script needs work, but you know what I really love? The human and the predator working together. That made me love the movie even more! Now aliens were extremely overpowered, but that's another case. The aliens featured in this movie, remind me of nothing like the aliens I know in ALIEN and ALIENS, and perhaps even the rash and vicious Dog Alien. They just randomly attacked people, that's all. Predators were heavily underpowered, and ... they just...ed. I know their amateurs, but they still just...ed. Except Celtic who kicked major ass, but then got 'over-confident'. I don't hate Paul as much as I did, but watching over the R-E- movies makes me hate him more.

What I respect Paul for:: Visual Work, he has a great keen sense there. And his directing talent is pretty good! To be honest, it's very good.

What I hate Paul for:: His writting is poor, it's horrible. You can also see he favours aliens, by even naming one of them. You don't name aliens...you just don't.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Predator_Killor, Undefined, 17 years ago

i hate u all.
enjoy the freaking movie. u wanted aliens versus predators u got it.
u cant do anything about the way it is so stop freaking complaining about it and enjoy it.
p.s i dont actually hate anyone =\
pred-killor-2.gif
Pray they dont take you alive....

OTANG, Undefined, 17 years ago

i personally liked it for its pure entertainment value. it has all the bells and whitsles a younger, broader crowd likes.

but its uniformity to the other movies is a farse. it lacked a 'beleivabilty' amongst its truest fans.

6d273dbd.jpg
Azzazin of Balatu
Struggle is The Glory
Tha Forum Rules

god_of_blades, Undefined, 17 years ago

I recon AVP was one of the best movies i've seen. But i agree with Dave it could'nt beat the Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Ressurection.

God-of-Blades-sig.jpg

Compared to the original ALIEN alone beats it out of this universe, confronting its grandchildren and doing the same. But alone, just seeing it as a movie with two alien species fighting... Good enough for me!

00Bloo_sig11.png

weaponx, Undefined, 17 years ago

For years I was looking forward to an AvP movie and then when I finally watched it, the movie turned out to be one of the worst and most dissapointing films I had ever seen. I dont see how any fans of the origional movies could like it. First of all the aliens and predator movies where rated 18 or R rated in the US but AvP was PG13 to attract a younger audience and try and get more money. But this meant we wouldnt see any spines being ripped out or people wouldn't get skinned. In both Predator 1 and 2 the predator skinned the people and hung them upside down but in AvP they still had all their clothes on. Also the predators face looked terrible, Stan Winston did the special effects in both predator and aliens so why didnt they use him instead? There wasnt enough fights scences either, the only half descent one was between the Celtic and the Grid. Also in the origional Alien movies it took a long time for the chestburster to burst out of someones chest after having the facehugger attached to them but in AvP it took about 5 minutes. There was no atmosphere, it didnt feel like you were watching an Alien or Predator movie. Almost everything about AvP was bad. Hopefully The brothers Clause will do a better job than Anderson(which wont be difficult)and fox will give it an 18 rating when AvP2 comes out next August.