avp2

cutm3up, Undefined, 17 years ago

will the characters from avp2 include any elders... and will they be played with rubbish men in costume or the latest in computer graphics?

When the time comes, are you prepared to risk everything, and face the wolves?

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

By far, the rubbish men in costumes. Pssh.

00Bloo_sig01.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the Mental House just got caught."

Deathdrop, Undefined, 17 years ago

(Stalker, are you sure that's an anamtronic? It looks CGI to me, especially the Pred)

Anyhoo, considering the budget AvP2 will be seeing, do you really think the CGI will be any good? It looked amazing in movies like 05' King Kong and Lord of the Rings because they had enough money to fill a skyser.

AvP2 is seeing cost-cutting strategies in SCRIPT FORM. That really dosen't look impressive from where I'm standing.

"but they should at least make them climb a steep vertical wall, cgi or not, they should discretly ake it cgi for a moment or something"

Why? What's with this obsessive use of CGI? If it's not needed, why use it? Stuntmen in costumes have proven far more effective in every Alien/Predator movie thus far. If you can show an Alien climb a wall without CGI, why add it? ESPECIALLY when it looks better without...

deathdrop1.jpg

dam

but they should at least make them climb a steep vertical wall, cgi or not, they should discretly ake it cgi for a moment or something

Hive_Tyrant, Undefined, 17 years ago

Oh this one part in A3 when the runner was comming out of a door and the there was a dead guy in front of it and the alien grabed the guy with it's teeth it looked like it was a puppet.

HiveTyrant.jpg The killer of the eders, work for The Hive!

Stalker, Undefined, 17 years ago

the acid itself was CG, but the alien when it was spitting it was most likely an animatronic or a man in a suit. Although several ahots of the alien actually climbing up the ladder just before it spits the acid were CG (if a shot is CG, u can almost always tell, with a few exceptions, as there are certain scenes in AVP where the CG is done so well to the point that u'd think it was done by an animatronic, but only in a few select shots)

thorndesignssig.jpg

Alienation, Undefined, 17 years ago

So what about the acid spitting in Alien Ressurection? That one was GC right?

alienationv2.jpgI Am A Drone Alien Of The Hive

Actually the runner in A3 wasn't CG, it was a miniature rod-puppet. Although it really does look like CG for some reason. It was controlled by several different puppeteers by rods that were attached to it's limbs, & they would control it by hand (it was almost like an actual string puppet)

thorndesignssig.jpg

Alienation, Undefined, 17 years ago

Suits are better because in Alien 3, when the runner was heading towards Ripley, you could tell that it was GC.

alienationv2.jpgI Am A Drone Alien Of The Hive

I don't know what u guys seem to have against using suitwork. I would actually take it over CG effects any day. CG just can't bring the creatures to life as well as using suits can. Would the original predator have been the same if Kevin peter hall hadn't donned the suit & brought to life one of the most well-known sci-fi creatures today?

Would Alien have been the same if some cr@ppy CG creature was used instead of putting Bolaji Badejo in the drone suit? I think not. (I know they didn't have proper CG back then, but it's just an example)

thorndesignssig.jpg

-Bloo-, Undefined, 17 years ago

I don't have anything against the men in suits, but I just chose an option. You know, like choosing between one guy's sig and another guy's sig. I just wouldn't say sig.

But I have a very bad point, so I'll shut up.

00Bloo_sig01.png

"To me, everyone is crazy. The ones in the Mental House just got caught."

It is entirly possible to create the illuison of wall-crawling with a man in a suit, as Aliens showed us.

EDIT: Here are some pics to compare CGI to suits.

Suits:
http://www.edu.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~nagumo/eiga/alien/Aliens-02.jpg

And here, we have CGI:
http://www.word-on-the-web.co.uk/films/images/AVP3.jpg

deathdrop1.jpg

but its like the clash between the grid alien and the celtic, and tell me one time in the film where a man in costume climbed up a wall

Remember, though, it's the guy IN the suit that brings it all together. You can make the coolest Pred costume ever, but still get a py performance if the actor inside is no good.

deathdrop1.jpg

that part in the second pic was an animatronic DD, or at least the part when grid was on top of him & clawing his face was an animatronic, although in that specific shot I can't tell, lol. In certain places, CG can work great, but for the most part I defenintly prefer the use of men in suits. They just bring the creatures to life so much better than in CG, also depending on the actor in the suit, as u stated DD.

thorndesignssig.jpg

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

CG only realy worcks in an etiarly CG movie as geting a real percion to interact with a monster that isant actualy there is dificalt.
and the movements of a CG charactor are often to rigind and tend not to loock verry realistick when playd infront of a real tim background. Pupateering hase come along way since the origonal alian movies evan in AVP the fight seen between grid and celtic was manly pupateerd. you can see the mechanical alien they used in the macing of AVP itsverry impresive and life lice

Backinaction.jpg

daveberg, Undefined, 17 years ago

men in suits and anamtronic puppets are far more effective, don't get me wrong, CGI is awsome these days, but you can still tell the difference....

davesback.jpg
www.thorndesigns.net
Messageboard Rules
.:Liquid GfX Graphics forum:.

Unknown, Undefined, 17 years ago

Dave is right, but heres'a question:

With technology moving at the rate is is, do you think that will be true by the time AVP2 is released?

Aeo, Undefined, 17 years ago

If it aint broken dont fix it right? I tend to agree with most of you here on the whole man in the suit issue.

Something about CG creatures just screams out look at me I'm fake, dont get me wrong if there is something that a man cant do then by all means use CG but without the man in the suit there can be no movie.

Also I agree with Predatoress it would be easier on the actors to have to deal with another actor instead of acting alone.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing.

- Edmund Burke -

predatoress, Undefined, 17 years ago

You also gotta think about acting. I mean if there's humans involved in the scene would you rather act with other actors than to the blue screen? Something concrete brings reality in it, CGI is just too 'perfect' compared to real life.

precopy.jpg