Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

One concern I've got: I'm getting tired of "mankind has a special destiny" narratives, especially in a franchise where the only other significant lifeform humanity encounters is a godforsaken face-raping monster.

The trailer features people pointing out that several unrelated ancient civilizations feature pictographs of the same star formation. Obviously, Weyland goes searching for the secret near those stars, since something must have been signalling them. Why else would those stars appear in several different mythologies?

I would love it if the film ended with the jockey/mutant/whatever answering that question with something like the following:

"Did it never occur to you that your ancestors looked up at the sky and drew what they saw?"

And that's it. There is no special destiny. There is no message. Through really bad pseudoscience, humanity assumed there must be some connection between the cave paintings and the Jockeys. There isn't. The entire reason humans encounter the Jockeys and/or Xenos? Wrong place, wrong time. Out of all the star systems, they just happened to land in the one with the biomechanical abominations.

THAT would be a kick to the nuts.

daveberg, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Want the real kicker?

The Jockey? I'm betting that is going to end up being Weyland himself.

Think about this - a megalomaniac billionaire, seeking to become ruler of all sees his life deteriorating with old age as his Prometheus dream comes ever closer. Hopping on board as a man in his 90's, Weyland discovers genetic genius that can grant him the power of the gods - cue extremely angry gods unleashing hell onto the rest of the crew.

Just another one of many things i've read recently that is making a whole lot of headway on the net.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

@DD
You don't have to take it that way, the jockeys were obviously experimenting with different life forms. Maybe the beginning of humanity on Earth was just some humans that managed to escape or were deemed inadequate and thrown away. Would you say that if you're carrying a fruit basket and one of the apple falls out and manages to grown into a tree, that tree has a special destiny?

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

^ True, you could still have something to the effect of "Yeah, we created you, but so what? We do that all the time, you presumptuous little bastards."

^ Or something like "Whoops, sorry, you weren't supposed to still be alive, haha. Don't worry, we'll correct that in a moment." which is why they need to crash into the derelict.

ash, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

So explain to me why there ship was heading for Earth? Do you think at the time the crew knew they where leaving for Earth the Alien eggs where there? Plus from what I've heard the planet isn't LV426 but I call BS. How can this ship magically move?

Magically? What are you talking about? I don't understand what you see magical about it. Ships are supposed to move, it's not magic.

ash, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Well Scott says the planet prometheus is on isn't LV426 and the crash was prometheus with the derilict ship from Alien. So how does a ship that crash lands be able to fly again? Magics. lol

Oh, I see now. Yeah, you're definitely right about that. I'm thinking the planet has to be the same, but maybe he changed some things. The Derelict in Prometheus is slightly different in shape from the one in Alien. I think it may be possible, like he said, that we won't see Aliens as they were in Alien, but a somewhat different thing. I don't think Giger was brought in simply to supervise.

jaguargod, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I definitely think that whatever is in the space jockey chair is a suit. It looks like some sort of restraints are releasing in the clip. What looked like a ribcage is more likely some sort of seat belt. As for the eyes, they could be the lenses of a helmet.

Also, has there been any mention of the similarity between the room with the huge humanoid face carving, and an egg chamber? I know the items on the ground appear to be metal, but they are spaced in the same pattern. There is also a scene in which one of the crew members appears to be in a helmet that is melting. It has the same yellow, smoking appearance as when the alien blood acid is dissolving something.

There was also a line in one of the trailers that said "A king has his rule, and then he dies." This kind of goes along with a theory that I read on IMDB.com that said that the large humanoid was created by the Space Jockeys (the kings, or gods), and they were eventually killed by their creation. Or it could refer to the humans being threatened with extinction.

Writers of the film have already said the ship is not the same one and that the planet is not LV-426. Take from that what you will, seeing as Ridley Scott said the film WASN'T an Alien Prequel, then when footage leaked, he had to own up and admit it was.

Personally, I hope it IS the ship, and IS LV-426. Problem is, apart from a simple change of artistic licence, for these things both to be represented as the same element from Alien - LV-426 has to go under some sort of DRASTIC change, environment wise.

I think the whole 'King' speech has a crafty agenda. They're talking about Weyland.....I think the whole expedition is for the sole purposes of finding technology advanced enough to sustain his life so he can continue to be 'king' and rule all. Just throwing it out there.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

What do you think of this human face sculpture inside the derelict ship? Makes me really nervous. Together with the way they've found the map to this planet (all the different ancient paintings), it looks more and more like there is a very thight connection between the jockeys and humans since ancient times. I mean there's a damn giant human face inside this alien ship...

That must not be a bad thing, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it really reminds me a lot of this usual stuff believed by this "Ancient astronauts"-followers. One thing i always loved about alien was that both the creature and the jockey/derelict were really, REALLY alien and unrelated to mankind, something completely strange. And now it looks it isn't that strange for us after all, maybe we're even descending from them in some way, and maybe the jockey is really just a suit with some humanoid inside. And of course there's this "We're important in space, we're connected to another great race in the galaxy!" thing.

Much of overhasty hypotheses, i know. I just hope i'm completely wrong and Ridley makes a great movie with much new mind-fucking shit... i wan't this movie to be awesome!

Way I see it - the 'ampule' rooms contain genetic codes/DNA samples etc - Perhaps the human head centre piece reflects the specific DNA patterns that are kept in that chamber.

In one of the trailer screen shots as the Prometheus touches down you can clearly see dozens of the alien structures/silos/constructs all in one huge long factory line, perhaps with every chamber entered there would be a different centre piece displaying the look of that particular species? Just theories as usual, but that's half the fun of waiting for this film to come out....

This may be a totally obvious statement, but the title of Prometheus, in the IMAX trailer, phases in just like the title of Alien did, and the music in the trailer of Prometheus (the siren sound that begins when Noomi Rapace claps her hands together) is also in a trailer of Alien that I found on youtube. There is no way that this movie isn't directly linked to Alien. It's just too much commonality.

It is linked in the manner it takes place in the same universe as Alien, that much Ridley Scott has confirmed, but the entire production crew are telling the media that is is an 'indirect' prequel with minor nods to the original Alien, to keep fans happy.

To be completely honest - there is TOO much going on that tips a hat towards alien for it not to tie into it during the last 'special' 8 minutes of the film. I'm calling major misdirection on the part of the Ridley and his film crew, to keep everyone guessing and fuelling the media fire.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I was writing an entire essay about how Scott telling us straight up that we'd be getting an Alien 5 wouldn't be as exciting as all the rumors and viral marketing and everything we've gotten now, but then I looked at my post again and decided, "Wait, that's stupid, I'd be pretty fucking excited for an Alien 5."

Still, though. There's no way this isn't an Alien film somehow. You just know it is. Its chances of not being about Xenomorphs at the end are about the same as a recent Michael Bay movie not having any hot girls and MichaelBaySplosions in it.

DarkCountess, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

In the picture of that's girls eye the thing swimming around in there looks like something I saw on "Monsters Inside Me". I have taken my time before I made up my mind to comment. I have decided that I will see this movie.

Praetorian, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

It is linked in the manner it takes place in the same universe as Alien, that much Ridley Scott has confirmed, but the entire production crew are telling the media that is is an 'indirect' prequel with minor nods to the original Alien, to keep fans happy.

In my opinion is just doesnt make any sense to reuse the same Alien Universe if the intention was to only have some indirect references to Alien.

If they wanted a whole new movie they would have made a whole new Universe.

The argument from Scott there, is that the more you show of the alien/alien universe as we know it in Prometheus, will end up detracting from the overall feel that audiences had for the original film in 1979. A less is more approach in terms of the Xenomorph etc.

There's still heavy speculation that this film will directly lead into the events of Alien (Pre Nostromo of course) - but as mentioned, Scott and the film crew are furiously saying 'No, that's not where we're going with this' In terms of the planet not even being LV-426 and the 'derelict' class ship not being the same one either. I think more than anything else, they look at this film as an 'expantion' of the universe, opening it up for the allowance of further sequels.