Ace, Yautja, 14 years ago

Haha hey bloo yeah i drop in every once in a while. Anyway the eggs in aliens were laid by a new queen while the ones in alien were there for who knows how long its possible the the aliens themselves evolved as they infested the conlony, or that, and this is kinda out there, that after newt's family got back others went to the ship aswell and one got a queen facehugger attached to em

predator428, Yautja, 14 years ago

Was Aliens the first time that a insect, hive based alien had been done in any other notable movies? From my perspective, the queen created in Aliens seemed like an original idea at the time but has since become a cliche.

I think the xeno's portrayal in Alien and Aliens was equally good and produced nice scares. I would have still been happy if the aliens had remained lone killers transforming their victims into eggs.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 14 years ago

Elements of Aliens were inspired by Starship Troopers (the original novel, which has very little in common with the movie of the same name), specifically with the whole idea of space marines and killer "bugs."

The Bugs were an obvious metaphor for communism, so they had a hive-like structure. I don't know if there was a Queen, but I'm willing to bet the inspiration came from that.

You raise an interesting point about how Aliens created a ton of the cliches of sci-fi/horror movies/books/games. Here's a thought: If you eliminated Starship Troopers, what would Alien 2 have been like?

Pred_Killer, Yautja, 14 years ago

I still think the bug concept was degrading to the thing Giger had originally intended it to be. They could have made Aliens so much better, in the movie, they could have made it apparent there were hundreds of them crawling around, but still keep with the graceful appearance of the original alien, and have had the marines getting picked off one by one by only a handful, and they aren't seen until like close to the end of the movie, and even then, they only face like two or three, not swarms, oh my god that was just too much like an insect, not to mention it made them seem like pushovers, Aliens are supposed to be brutal, relentless, seemingly unstoppable, hell, I wouldn't have minded if they had made them nearly resilient to their weapons, well they were phase 'plasma' pulse rifles, which would rip well just about anything to shreds, but they could have made it to where they missed, or they were caught of guard, I think that would have made for a better movie, and still include the female at the end, that movie would get one billion out of five from me, but, meh, didn't work out, Alien and Alien 3 remain my favorites.

predatoress, Yautja, 14 years ago

I don't honestly see what's wrong with the bug idea. It was original in a way to mix humane features to something pretty unknown to us. In general, if a mammal would be ant-sized we would get our ass kicked 24 x 7 since they are stronger than we can imagine due the exoskeleton as well as fast and able to walk almost on any surface. Also their system with the hive is something so organized and yet every ant is an individual it is utterly disturbing to see such "low" lifeform to be generally able to create such huge nests and working "society" we call the hive (without speaking of the usage of slaves from other ant species).

Also the issue of the Queen, I could assume changing human into an egg would be a damn long process comparing to the amount of eggs that a single Queen can lay within the same time. This exact combination of parasitic lifeform to an effective breeder and hive structure makes an alien invasion somewhat unstoppable as well as rapidly evolving species compared to slow generation cycle.

But this is just my opinion. And I haven't read any extra material on this and can't debate about details like some tr00 alien fans does, so forgive me>>

To nitpick that above post, an insect's enormous strength wouldn't be effective at a mammalian size because their sheer size to weight ratio would crush them inside their own exoskeletons. We can never really get too scientific with these guys of course, since its physically impossible for a creature as big as an alien to be able to run on walls anyway.

Hmmh good point, I thought the situation other way round lol Either way, the exoskeleton makes it possible for those animals to carry many times of their body weight, compared to our size of we carrying gigantic logs. With that idea you just said Xenos simply just couldn't exist but this is sci-fi.

But this thread actually made the to think other issue I haven't asked about, which I'm gonna post soon.

Not sure what is causing this sudden burst in discussion, but I'm liking it.

I wouldn't call this as burst of discussion... lol But having a pause from sites is refreshing and gives you more views and opinions rather than getting stuck on the same track (which was at least my problem of inventing anything "new" for the site).

-Bloo-, Yautja, 14 years ago

No really, you should have been here when we literally had nothing to talk about and had to turn this place into a general board. This is a boost.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 14 years ago

Amen to that. The off-topic thread is STILL that way (I wouldn't want it any other way) but it's nice to have honest-to-god AVP topics on an AvP board again.

In response to Predator's post earlier, no, it is not impossible, this is why Xenomorphs have an endo-skeleton to counter the pressure of the exo-skeleton, of course that makes them roughly 300 - 400 pounds average, this would mean they would have to be tank-like strong to be able to climb on walls, move as fast as they do, I think it is safe to assume they're stronger than Predators, physically, due to how much time they spend in hand to hand combat (since they can't use weapons).

To counter the strength argument, Vasquez held an alien's head to the wall with her foot in Aliens. I don't think aliens are the winners in the strength category, probably stronger then humans but not preds.

To the weight point, I wasn't implying that aliens had to submit to the insect weight rule, but it is physically impossible for an animal of that size to be able to walk on walls. There is a rule in biology about an animal's weight limitations, wish I could remember the exact cut off so I wouldn't sound like I'm pulling this out of my ass, but aliens are still too big.

Maybe it uses magic.

MAGIC

"No really, you should have been here when we literally had nothing to talk about and had to turn this place into a general board. This is a boost."

I was, on the background. But I found other general talk boards so I didn't bother to log in here.

To the weight issue, we don't really know what "material" aliens are made of or how light or heavy they are (except for Bloo, maybe lol).

Heh you know me. I know everything there is to know. But I'm not telling any of you. Why? I'm just doing it for teh lulz.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 14 years ago

I'm gonna bring something from Predator 2 in defense of the Aliens. The speargun projectile, when analyzed, was said to be made from very light yet very strong material, composed of several unknown substances. The xenomorph exoskeleton could be the same, so assuming that they couldn't do the things we don't know how they do because the things we don't know if they're made of wouldn't allow it is a bit un-smart. It's like saying an albatross couldn't fly if it were made of lead, because lead is just too heavy. But an albatross is obviously not made of lead and it obviously can fly very well.

You're actually using Aliens as an example? Of how much it defiled the Aliens, the drones in Aliens were not true Aliens in my eyes, the one in ALIEN was how they were SUPPOSED to be, so in my eyes, ALIEN is the only true canon, I am, by the way, comparing Kane's Son to Anytime, who lost to Arnold Swarchznegger, who is 6'2, and Kane's Son easily held down Yaffat Koto, who is 6'4, and I would say, in terms of muscle mass, is superior. Just going by the original, true incarnation of the creatures, not the OTT preds from AVP, or the UTT aliens from Aliens.

So, you are ignoring Aliens? You do realize you can't just shut out the canon movies that you don't like.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 14 years ago

I agree, you can't just say only Alien is canon, that is ridiculous. If we're going by that we have abso-fucking-lutely nothing to discuss but "how did the facehugger get through the helmet" and "what colour were the jockey's shorts". There is nothing you see clearly about the drone in Alien other than that it likes to give out hugs to people and it doesn't like rude tubes farting in its face while it's getting a good night's sleep.