A sad day....H.R. Giger has passed away ladies and gents.

daveberg, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Major respects paid to the creator of our beloved Xenomorph.

Giger passes

concretehunter, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I'll have a post up later, My thoughts are with his friends.

FireHunter, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Major respects paid to him, may he rest in peace.

tawganator, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Fuck. Damn that sucks. RIP Giger

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

I think I've gotten used by now to people whose work had an impact on me dying. Steve Irwin, Michael Jackson, now Giger. He was definitely the one who influenced my life the most. I would basically not exist without him. I feel like I'm not as upset as I should be, and I am ashamed of it.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Fucking hell... This sucks. I wish I could be more eloquent than this, but... Well, "this sucks" is about as close as I can get for right now.

EDIT: Some guy named LukeStarkey on Reddit said it best, I think- "There's a special place in Hell... I'm not saying Hans Ruedi Giger is there... But he designed it."

badapple24, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Awww. that is bad. He will definitely be missed around here

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Everything I was gonna say was already said by DW and DD, so anyway:

"There's a special place in Hell... I'm not saying Hans Ruedi Giger is there... But he designed it."

I like that a lot.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Here is a nice album with some of his work, most of which you've probably seen before.

EDIT: Oh, the quote on the front page, it's about Li I, right? I wrote a short paper on it for my aesthetics course last year. This man has been through some unfortunate things. I can't help but wonder if he felt relief in his last moments, or if he felt worried that he might not finish something he had started.

gamefreak33797, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

........................................shit........

Praetorian, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

Giger was the major inspiration for me to create this site, the inspiration didn't came from the movies, nor the action, nor the creature, but the dark and disturbing world he created around his creation.

I consider him the most important/influential person it the Alien universe (above Ridley Scott, James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver).

A curiosity for you, a long time ago I asked Mr.. Giger for permission to post some of his work.
From his agent I knew he saw this site and his comment was: "It's very generous of you to to promote FOX products for free".

He was resentful that FOX never properly recognized him as the creator of the Alien.
And I agree with him, without his creation there would be no franchise.

Rest in peace Giger.

Its fucking 2 in the morning and i just checked the site, Proceeded to piss my pants.

Thanks P.
Thanks.

Edit: Giger is one of the few people in the world who touched me. His art style attacked me and my sexuality. Im honestly at a loss for words.

This site has made me question so much, I've never learned as much about mankind as i have from this site. We're a queer bunch. We talk to much about too little, We write for hours about insignificant things. We're a community but not quite. We're a family of artists in a way, This is one of those beautiful nuggets of the world that i treasure close to my heart. If someone read through this entire website I'm sure they'd laugh and cry much like i have.

He made this quiet little square inch of internet one of the most beautiful and interesting places I've ever been. Maybe when I'm old and grey ill see a piece of his art, And ill remember all those people who used to share my love. This is honestly really hard to write, I feel my gut clenching up and the verge of tears.

Maybe we should get on one of those streaming websites and watch the first 2 as a group, That'd be nice.

Giger, I hope you're in a better place.

^ That's a pretty cool idea, actually.

I'll be looking through his art again, for sure. People tend to concentrate on the monsters, but Giger created some incredible landscapes as well. I love the 9th one down in DW's album link (never saw it before) because of how great a time it looks like the demons are having. Also, Birth Machine Baby. Holy shit.

I hope Fox does the right thing from here on out and properly credits him.

Someone get on skype pls ;_;

You're still set to "do not disturb." I'll probably be in bed by the time you read this, but are you around tomorrow?

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

@DD: I'll be online tomorrow, too. Can't you use Skype to stream movies? (And yeah, CH, you're always on "Do Not Disturb"...)

@DW: I've only seen half of those, so that was cool.

@CH: That was really nice of you to write. He left such an impact on all of us, and he never knew our names - I hope he knew he'd never be forgotten.

I wish I was more emotional about this, but it just didn't strike me the way I always thought it would. I really appreciated his existence, you know, and I doubt I'd be the same if his creations never influenced my life, so I don't know why I wasn't compelled to write a comment like yours.

What I realized about trying to emulate his style in my own is that it's all in the way he colors - there's no way you could adequately animate his work. It wouldn't have the same impact as just looking at it. You could still make something really great, sure, but it wouldn't be the same. It's like a book being turned into a movie.

Still, looking at his work from the perspective of an artist really opens up and expands your mind. It's like, his stuff is the kind that inspires you to make your own, and that's the stuff that's the best. It's sad - I don't think anyone will 100% understand what went on in his mind. But, at least he's leaving behind a few glimpses into it.

Edit: I just realized I felt the same emotions (or lack of them) when all my other favorite artists died. Maybe it's because their art is still with us that makes me feel like they're not really gone.

DarkLioness, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

This is truly a heart-breaking loss.

Mr.Giger was a brilliant artist, the type of artist that only surfaces once in a lifetime yet has such a strong impact on the world even in passing.

Sir you will be forever missed but you will never be forgotten.

tawganator, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

We owe so much to this mans creations. He had such a unique vision. If a persons life is measured by the amount of lives that that person has touched then H.R. Giger is a giant.

I just set it to DND so i don't get those annoying pings.

I'll be on later tonight. Is anyone else curious to see what his tombstone looks like?

^ It's a little morbid (then again, look who we're talking about), but I wonder if he designed one for himself? Kinda sounds like something he'd do.

Blizzard, Xenomorph, 9 years ago

RIP Giger
may your creations continue to haunt mankind
you will be missed