concretehunter, Yautja, 10 years ago

Doctor mother fucking who.

From the day i was born i sat on my dads lap and watched Doctor who, Of course i wasn't old enough to be alive when they were being released. This means i would have to catch the re-runs of all the old Episodes with Tom Baker, John pertwee and so on. They captivated me for 45 minutes a day, The storys, the settings; It was all a wonderland of light and sound that was brilliant and profound. It taught values such as empathy, modesty and love. It had great actors and told great story's, You could really tell that everyone making it loved what they did. I was in love, I would buy the old annuals and read into the lore. I was a true Doctor Who kid.

So when they announced that a new series was coming out i was so fucking exited. I was there at 7 to watch Christophe Eccleston play the Doctor. He did a bang up job and i was really happy to watch all he episodes. I almost shat myself when i caught a glimpse of a dalek. I sat down on the same night at the same time and really enjoyed him as doctor. When he left i was upset but that's the way with doctor who. I was happy to watch David tennant. That is, for a while.

You see after a while the old writers and producers moved on, The new directors were free to market doctor who in a new direction. Rather than make DW a show for the whole family to enjoy they decided to market it at teenage girls. The show became less about the story, The values, the FUN. And it became more about David tennant walking around with his glossy hair and suit.

Self Defense: I liked David Tennant as you can tell that he loves DW. He says himself that he loved it as a child and can't believe he is playing his hero.

So after a while i stopped watching.

This was strange for me, A child for for almost 14 years would sit down at the same time ever week to watch this show. I would occasionally watch it when i wanted to but i wasn't interested anymore. And then we met Matt. Matt mother fucking Smith

Matt Smith never watched doctor who, He has no attachment to doctor who. He is just an actor.

Self defense: He isn't a BAD actor. I just feel that there is no joy behind what he does, Doctor who was great because everyone looked like they were having fun. Does Matt Smith? No. Does he do a good job at ACTING? Probably.

Maybe the reason i don't like the new ones is the same reason i don't like the star wars prequels. They're to sterile, Made by committee looking. In the old DW's the sets were made from what they had laying about, Boxes and sticky tape. But it looked REAL and had substance, The CGI was used tastefully with Christoper and David but in the current Doctor Who's its used for practically every set. I liked how the earlier DW's had character, And by character i mean the character the show HAD. Not the character it was given

Back on topic. Why was Matt Smith brought in to be the Doctor?

Lets make a brief comparrison.

Tom Baker:tom_baker.jpg

Tom baker was cheeky chips lovable and was loved by Men, Women and children.

Matt Smith: tumblr_m8andqusLS1r1i5oxo1_500.png

Matt Smith is a sex symbol. You wouldn't have you dad say "Yeah i think Matt Smith is a great Doctor Who, I the show all the time just to see him" down he pub now would you?

Doctor Who stopped being about the fun, And that's why non of the Doctor Who fans watch it any more.

If you like the new Doctor Who then more power to you, But please watch the older ones first. Then maybe you can capture what was onced loved about this cultural icon.

Tldr: Matt Smith can suck my sonic screwdriver.

gamefreak33797, Yautja, 10 years ago

Wow, that was amazingly thought out, and I did watch the old ones first, wanted to watch all of them through the correct order, gotta say they were amazing, blew my mind as a child to think about time travel, but for some reason Matt Smith is my favourite Doctor, followed by Christopher, then the first.

skull_ripper, Yautja, 10 years ago

Isn't homestuck a strange webcomic with some trolls that bring shame to all versions of trolls?
I tried to watch Doctor Who, but i was not my cup of tea, not sure which one though.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 10 years ago

^I don't really really know where the consensus comes from among non-readers, but since they don't live under bridges and wear giant diapers, yeah, I guess.

Every time i try and look something up about trolls, this weird ass troll type thing pops up. I apologies for my bitchiness, they weird me out kinda. If you could explain it to me, that would be nice.

Deathdrop, Yautja, 10 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Cv5hZfOmk

^ Nothing like an insane cult leader for a little entertainment, eh?

@SR: In that case, it's actually totally understandable, you're probably seeing a lot of fanart, which can admittedly cross into "sonic fanart" territory a lot. If I had no idea what HS trolls were about, I'd hate them just as much.

The actual designs are still kinda weird though (even I was put off for years before I started reading) - kind of like skinny grey "animes" with dumb hair. Compared to traditional fantasy trolls, I guess they are completely different, but as characters themselves, some of them are actually pretty brilliantly written, even if the art style turns you away.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try it out next time i have access to high-speed internet.

^Not that it's for everyone, but I like for people to get to a certain part of the comic (around Act 2-4) before making any sound judgement rather than basing their opinions off the stupid parts of the fandom/fanart without ever having really read through it. Which I realize is really fanboyish of me, but imagine if people started yelling "Aliens and Predators suck!" after having seen just one of the AVP films.

@DD: Oh, Jesus Christ.

Edit: Holy shit, is that Mebber?

supersonicman96, Yautja, 10 years ago

What would be the worst apocalypse, I'm putting my vote in for clone apocalypse.

Dronehive, Yautja, 10 years ago

HoMeStUcK mAy NoT bE fOr EvErYoNe, BuT i ThInK iT's ThE mOtHeRfUcKiNg ShIt.

GO READ IT

please bro

READ THAT MOTHERFUCKING SHIT

honk

HONK

honk :o)

But what if I just want to sit on my butt and look at funny pokemon comics?

ThePredator13, Yautja, 10 years ago

Deathdrop what do the scrolls say of the nutcase and his cult?

Argh, Skyrim is so addictive! All it does is indulge my love of fantasy, and orcs! It keeps me up late kill'n dragons and shit, or chopping firewood, way more engaging than dragons. And the trolls! Three eyes man, three fucking eyeballs! I shouldn't get any DLC's, but i want them, i lust for their sweet content! Lack of Xbox live sucks, but having it requires this thing called money, wonder what that is?

supersonicman96, Yautja, 10 years ago

What are you in Skyrim?

Im an orc, and an Argonian, and Thorin Oakenshield. I have three profiles to mess around on, but i take the orc one more serious because it was my first character.

Shockwave, it's great that you're curious and you're sparking a lot of conversation, but you should slow down with the new topics.

Look at it as saving some of it for later.

There were so many on-topic threads that I... I needed to bump this with a double post.

God help me.

God help us all

Voltage-3000, Yautja, 10 years ago

photo tumblr_mfi3vqAIXG1r964sho1_500_zpsa2dbb01e.jpg