AvP2 Campaign Notes: All Logs, Comp Screens, Notes and PDAs!

Rykov, Undefined, 10 years ago

Just thought I'd share a link to my DeviantArt page, where I uploaded screenshots of every one of the selectable notes, PDAs, and computer screens you find throughout the Marine and Predator campaigns of Monolith's 2001 shooter, Aliens vs Predator 2.

I also included the mission logs from the "Tab-screen" you get with your objectives in each level. I have separate sub-folders for each species' campaign, and they're all in the order you find them. There's SO much great story in this game, and a ton of it comes from these little notes. Amazing how much you can uncover beyond the basic play-through plot if you read all of these little hidden gems. Sadly, they don't save to the title menu when you find them, so that's why I put them up; for your viewing pleasure!

I started this because of a topic on the Alien Experience Forums in 2010 (stared by Dutch90).

Recently, I posted it up on AVP Galaxy.

Now, I just found this forum and figured I'd share it here too, in case there are any AvP2 diehards that might be interested. Hope you guys enjoy, and I hope folks are interested in discussing some of the side-plots revealed in these notes.

-Bloo-, Undefined, 10 years ago

Oh wow, this is really cool. I need to look through these later.

We used to be called "AVP2" after the game, but we switched to "Universe" because... I dunno, but we turned into more of a roleplaying community more than anything else over the years and it makes more sense.

Huh, that's funny. I remember PlanetAvP back in the day, but I guess I never ran into this site when it was named AVP2. Either way, looks like you've got a fairly active community here.

I can't say as I have any experience in the RPG world, but now that I think about it, AvP 2 (the game) has a lot of great material for an RPG setting. Within the game and especially the notes, there are a TON of named characters, each with varying levels of backstory. The Xenomorph Observation Facility on LV-1201 is a really a great in-universe setting. Between the two sites (Primary Operations Complex and Forward Observation Pods) there are thousands of human characters ranging from guards, mercs, techs, scientists, pilots, convicts, pilots, smugglers, spies, and administrators. Plus there are multiple Xenomorph hives and plenty of curious Predators. Could be fun!

Anyway, enjoy reading through them. Thanks for the reply.

DeathWraith, Undefined, 10 years ago

Wait, there are collectibles in AvP2? All I did was kill people. Are they only in the Marine campaign?

No, you find them in both the Marine's campaign and the Predator's. I guess they figured it was reasonable for Predators to be able to read English text, but too much of a stretch to do it as an Alien. All three campaigns have those mission logs you can read when you check your objectives with TAB, though.

Technically, I guess you wouldn't really call them collectables, since they don't save to the start menu for later viewing. Strange, since both No One Lives Forever and its sequel (also made by Monolith directly before and after AvP2) had collectable intel items. Still, they serve the same purpose as collectables. You just find them throughout the game in the form of discarded PDAs, scraps of paper and computer screens. Just hit the use key when you find one of these that highlights with a "use item" icon.

-Bloo-, Undefined, 10 years ago

Rykov said:

Huh, that's funny. I remember PlanetAvP back in the day, but I guess I never ran into this site when it was named AVP2. Either way, looks like you've got a fairly active community here.

Yeah, we're pretty small compared to everyone else, but this is our 10th year active. We've never been too big on releasing news and stuff like that, so we do other community things like text-based RPGs and stuff. Besides, places like Galaxy have filled that niche well.

Rykov said:

Technically, I guess you wouldn't really call them collectables, since they don't save to the start menu for later viewing.

That makes these even more valuable, then. I'll start slowly reading through them tonight.

You're making me wanna play through this game again. It's been years and I didn't spend that much time with it.

Yeah, you should absolutely play through it again. The gameplay and graphics certainly show their age, but overall the game holds up remarkably well. Monolith chose a very interesting method of storytelling for the campaigns. If you just rock through each of them, focusing solely on beating the game, you're left with only a vague sense of a plot. The more you pay attention and dig however, you see just how much detail they put into the script. Kind of an odd approach to utilizing that much work in the writing room, but its very rewarding to slowly unfold all of the interweaving plot threads and side stories as you go. Definitely one of my favorite all time games.

Actually, I just picked up my copy that I had loaned to a friend, so I'm pretty stoked to play through it again myself!

Mebber, Undefined, 10 years ago

Yeah, it's nicely done how the story is developed and cleverly interlaps between the campaigns in AVP2. A bit more subtle and less obvious than how storytelling works in some of the more recent blockbuster-movie-like games, but that's a good thing in some cases.

Nice work collecting all of these notes and logs!