Multiverse?

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I just read through this AVPg thread and basically they're debating whether or not all the films/comics/novels/games should be lumped into separate universes that make up a multiverse, instead of trying to fit that shit into a single timeline.

I think the idea of a multiverse is fine, but I guess some people don't like it and even find it problematic (as if trying to fit eVERYTHING INTO A SINGLE TIMELINE ISN'T PROBLEMATIC). What do you guys think?

(I just started reading through Aliens Omnibus 2 and holy shit I do not have the patience for traditional comics. The art's cool enough, but things like "Xeno Homeworld" don't jive with me at all.)

skull_ripper, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I don't mind a Multiverse personally. Also I haven't actually read any Alien, Predator or AVP comics except one at Hastings that I hated because what's her face the predator wannabe chick easily defeated and decapitated a Yautja and the others just shrugged because she was showing she was "a honorable warrior" or some shit. Personally I think Predators wouldn't take someone randomly killing one of their own well, especially since she didn't give the Yautja any warning of hostility before she murdered it basically. Anywho, that was really ranty of me, sorry.

But yeah, I have no problem with a Multiverse as an explanation, I just don't want them to make a comic series where they hop from movie to game to comic to toyline and back.

skull_ripper said:

I just don't want them to make a comic series where they hop from movie to game to comic to toyline and back.

Yeah, that'd be way too stupid.

You seem to like comics more than me, so you should give some of the Omnibus volumes a chance. Maybe someone like DD can give you better recommendations than I can.

The ones I'd recommend to any A/P fan are Aliens: Labyrinth and Aliens: Nightmare Asylum. I wasn't impressed with the human designs in Labyrinth at all, but the Xenos look great.

I'll have to see if I can get those comics through the Mobius system, which my library is a part of. Actually I think I'll tell you all what it is real quick since it is handy, and it is kind of obscure.

The Mobius System is a Inter Library Loan System so you can get a book, movie, game or anything else that another library that is a part of this system has. Right now I have a Predator comic on its way to me from another library. But not all libraries are part of this system, but if it is you can usually access the Mobius System through your libraries website, and if you damage a book you can pay up to a $120 for its replacement. But I've gotten tons of books through this system without any problems. Also they cannot charge if the book arrived damaged so there's that at least.

Edit: The only reason I know the Mobius System exists is because my sister is a Librarian(it is an elite order of boring people).

I probably shouldn't link to them, but the Omnibus collection IS available to download in high quality somewhere on the internet.

I don't know if you're against piracy, but it's there and not that hard to find. (They're pretty goddamn big though - Volume 2 alone was around 400+ mb.)

Holy shit, I think that is more space than my computer has in its storage. It is a computer, from like, 2007.

Edit: I don't give a shit if it is Pirated as long as the company can afford it.

tawganator, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I'm all for the multiverse. it takes all of those continuity arguments and shoves them in the corner.

krio, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

here is my multi- timeline:

prometheus
predator alien
predator 2 aliens
predators alien 3

if there was still a sample of queen DNA, the timeline goes on like this:

ressurection
AVP
AVP-R
-------
avp (PC GAME)
avp 2 (pc game)
avp 3

if not, the timeline doesn't go on.

^Problem is, there are people who actually want to place the films and comics and games AND novels in the same timeline.

I forget why those people say a multiverse would undermine everything, but none of the arguments were that great.

I understand that the idea of a multiverse sounds kind of cartoonish, but it's WAY less "comicy" than some of the stuff already going on in the actual comics. And besides, the introduction of a multiverse wouldn't be used so that Ripley could go hopping from one dimension to another in a big adventure - it would be introduced to sort out the canon, since Fox pretty much makes everything canonical, somehow.

@SR: In that case, here you go.

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

I think there's pretty much already a multiverse, seeing as how Prometheus and AVP appear to be mutually exclusive continuity-wise. Same deal with the Dark Horse comics, which are VERY difficult to reconcile with the films. As if it wasn't complicated enough, the upcoming crop of Dark Horse comics seem to be aiming for a continuity reboot!

So we've already got something like... four timelines?

I know people will say some "count" more than others, or that everything but the Alien timeline "doesn't exist", but here's the thing: It's fiction. None of this shit really happened, so arguing over which timeline is "real" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I've seen it argued that non-canon stuff creeping in will destroy the franchise, but... Jesus, guys, if AVPR couldn't do it, nothing can.

Bring on the multiverse, I say. And then we can have the Predators of Earth 2 battle against the bizzaromorphs of Universe 12! CRISIS ON INFINITE LV-426S'!

It's too bad they'll never come out and just straight up admit that there's a multiverse. Instead, I guess they went with a hard reboot? I dunno, maybe that's better, but I get the feeling they're just gonna end up creating a clusterfuck again, so what's the point?

Anyway, you're right - it's not something to get mad over because this stuff doesn't exist. Still, though - it gets kinda annoying when we're talking about film canon and someone brings up something that happened in, like, Forever Midnight or something.

badapple24, Xenomorph, 10 years ago

That's good for a time line. But Alien came before predator. and i can't say for anything else

Edit: Rewatched prometheus. happened just after the first alien movie. so prometheus would have to go between alien and predator