Predator Rituals

Deathdrop, Yautja, 10 years ago

Let's try this again...

skull_ripper, Yautja, 10 years ago

What kind of rituals we talking? Birthing rituals, Hunting rituals, Peace pipe stuff?

^ Speculation about that sort of thing, yes.

Hunter_Predator, Yautja, 10 years ago

Basically the original topic was about what kind of rituals and processes do you think the Predators go through?

Tests and milestones of them growing and becoming Hunting Men.

Ok. So they would probably have a naming ceremony shortly after birth, then when they are a bit older receive a practice set of wrist-blades and a combistick and then be schooled in the art of hunting, learning to use plasma casters, bio masks and probably learn to effectively command a predator hound among other things.

Then once they reached adulthood they would go on their first hunt. Hunting Xenos, humans and other creatures known and unknown to us. Then the successful would mate and the cycle would continue. After that it is ladder climbing until your dead, clan leader and or shaman, eventually maybe even an ancient(unless you get ladder climbing choice 1#)

-Bloo-, Yautja, 10 years ago

^I'd agree that they're probably "sculpted" like that all throughout their lives as they're most likelyt a warrior society, but they'd probably have it a lot harsher than even Spartans as children. Or maybe they grow to adult size in a matter of weeks and start training when they reach a certain "brain power"?

Edit: Wait, the age they start training probably wouldn't lessen the harshness of the actual training.

ThePredator13 said:

To be honest the only reference of the blooded trials is from AVP, but then again I only read a few of the comics. The movie Predators gives us an idea of how a predator could earn their stripes. In the movie Mombasa the RUF soldier makes a comparison of what he does with how predators gain fame when they stumble upon the super predator camp. "They take trophies. In my culture, the warrior with the greatest trophies commands the most respect." This could mean a predator takes trophies not in honor like AVP has made it out to be, but to rise in the ranks of predator society and command more respect from other predators.

I like that idea, it ties directly in with HP & SR's. Maybe there IS an honor system, but each Predator hunts with varying degrees of it?. Maybe the Elders/Ancients are a lot less strict than we give them credit for, but I doubt it.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if they're able to be "corrupted," at least, not as easily as humans. That's probably why Badbloods are rare and hated so much.

I love the term "Hunting Men," although "hunter" and "man" might mean basically the same thing in their language.

There was a topic a couple years back where Deathwraith and some other people were talking about the subject of Predator rituals, and it inspired a nerd-rant from me about how Preds understand their gods. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: I can't find the thread, but I had what I wrote in it saved, so here it is:

"I've heard Cetanu described as "The Black Warrior who wins all battles." In other words, death. This could explain their entire warrior culture, as all Hunters essentially strive to be like Cetanu.

Cetanu wears a thousand faces. He/she/it can appear as a Xenomorph, a Yautja, a Human, a meteorite, or even a virus. Cetanu is the bullet that passes through your brain; the stingray you don’t know you’re about to step on; the dividing cells in your head that’ll eventually form a brain tumor.

The masks could have originally been a representation of this. A warrior wears a face that isn't his own while on the hunt.

Centanu sees through all defenses. No matter how many walls you put up, no matter how powerful you make yourself, no matter how many guards you post, Centanu will find you. Nothing can hide from Cetanu's sight (kind of like how nothing can hide from a Predator's vision modes.)

Cetanu is invisible (stealth suits.) His skill is such that he can kill you without touching you (ranged weapons)

You get the idea. Basically, all hunters strive to be as fine a killer as Cetanu. Each one swears an oath to himself that he will one day surpass the First Killer... And each one will inevitably fail.

I think I read somewhere that Yautja language has a slur against females (child-bearer). I imagine females have a much nastier slur against males: Oath-Breaker."

That's deep, man.

Pull up the beanbag chair and light one up, man.

concretehunter, Yautja, 10 years ago

*Tokes* Thats some Bad-ass shit.

"Yeah man, Its like. He's fate" DD said laying spread eagle across the sofa.

I coughed slightly on the smoke.

"What the hell are you talking about man? Cetanu is death."

"Well isn't that just fate?"

I sat there for a moment staring at the ceiling. I imagined the infinity of stars echoing above my eyes. I wasn't looking at the ceiling, I was looking past it. The atoms in my body came from a star, Millions of years of fission and fusions led to those atoms. The matter in the universe flows from place to place, momentary coming together to be me. I'm just part of a cycle.

Its odd how there are more atoms in one photoreceptor in my eye than there are stars in the galaxy, And in an ironic way i am simply a part of the universe observing itself. Everything in my body existed at the dawn of time, And currently the universe was trying to understand itself, Understand time and space. The laws of the universe are a mystery even from itself.

"Maybe"

I wonder if DD had some food. I stood up to get to the kitchen and had totally forgotten about the shrooms i took earlier. The door was warped and curving and the walls were slightly discolored. I stumbled into the kitchen to find some muffins in the oven. I took a cheeky peak to see if they were ready.

"Muffins, Are you ready?"

"Haha yeah man we're so baked" Said the Muffins

"Me too muffins, Me too"

^God, I love this website.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 10 years ago

I was reading those posts while listening to "Kiri" by Monoral, and that shit felt way more profound than it probably should have.

But it was really helpful, especially the Cetanu explanation. Probably more helpful than you know.