"Pure" Xenomorphs

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I stumbled upon TV Trope's Alien page and there are a lot of mentions of how Xenos take traits from their host to have a better chance at surviving whatever environment they're born into. Of course, it's also mentioned that Queens and Praetorians (and other "royal" strains) never take those traits and are "pure." This is old news, but that got me thinking about the Protomorph/Deacon, how it was born from an Engineer, and how it's the predecessor to the Xenomorph.

Since humans are identical to Engineers, are human-born Xenos also pure, or does the term "pure/royal" still apply strictly to the Queen/Facehuggers/etc.?

badapple24, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

technically bloo, an egg is pure breed. but the facehugger inside is transbreed as their is two (As far as we know) types of facehuggers. this is stricktly appling to info from avp extinction. but yeah. valid point Bloo.

Blizzard, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I think there is no such thing as a pure breed although since the xenomorph are highly adaptable I think any xenomorph whatever the strain would have the potential of being a queen royal egg or not

Waralien, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I think I remember a discussion about this awhile back. In terms of purity, only the protomorph is considered pure along with the deacon. I say this because they where the first of the strain. Afterwards, they began evolving into the Xenos we know today. Queens are considered pure because they are the one's that create more of the hive. Yes they take on traits of their host to make them more suitable for the environment, but that's getting technical.

I know it's pretty late in the game for someone like me to ask what's pure or not, it's just interesting. But I thought about this on the toilet this morning and realized that if a pure worker form (drones, warriors, etc.) DID exist, it'd probably have to come from a Jockey.

I wouldn't bet on Prometheus 2 to answer anything we actually want to know, but I assume they've got plans for the Protomorph that'll give us a glimpse of the missing links between it and the current Xenomorph.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I would say the only pure Alien is that black goo that started the evolution in the first place. I assume that if applied to any number of different creatures it would evolve into something similar and not by chance, since I assume that it was genetically designed to do exactly that. But I don't really know what I'm talking about right now because I thought Prometheus was really bad and didn't pay so much attention to everything.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

^I'd agree with that.

Waralien, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

So basically its like the Phazon effect from Metroid in which a substance mutates a creature from its base species into one stronger and deadlier? If that's the case, wouldn't anything that got transformed by that goo be considered the pure strain since it was the first of it's species?

the_doctor, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I'd have to agree with Deathwraith here, any creature created from the goo technically wouldn't be "Pure" as it would have borrowed from the creature's genetic structure. I think that due to the xenomorph life cycle (basically being parastitic)it would be impossible to have "pure" form ie. one that exists only of it's own genetic code. The Deacon would not fit this as in it's life cycle there has already been human and engineer DNA influencing it's own.

However this also assuming that Xenomorphs are products of the black goo and that the last frame in Prometheus wasn't just a weak way to link the film to the franchise.

I'd agree with that. And yeah, while I still enjoyed Prometheus more than DW and Mebber, I was disappointed that it was pretty much just two hours of nothing but call backs and people being idiots.

Also, I found this gem (among others) from TV Tropes that I never considered before:

"Might seem horrific, but a lot of Weyland-Yutani's actions are a lot more understandable if you look at it the right way. They want the aliens as bioweapons. Seems like a fairly typical power-hunger thing that any bunch of General Rippers would do, right? Until you think about who they might need to use them on. The galaxy has just been proven to contain other intelligent, spacefaring lifeforms, or at least it did, ones vastly superior to humanity. And they're probably still around. Even if they're not, other species probably are. Controlling the aliens provides Earth with a guaranteed-effective weapon against any aggressors. In essence, they're looking for a trump card to insure the survival of the human race. In that context, they might still be crazy, but they're more Knight Templar types than the omnicidal maniacs that they look like otherwise."

I forget why Weyland-Yutani wanted a live Xeno in the original film, but it might be because of humanity's rediscovery of the fact that Jockeys are hostile assholes.

Edit: I missed your comment at first, Waralien, but that's actually the point I was trying to make at first.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

"However this also assuming that Xenomorphs are products of the black goo"

And, of course, also assuming that the black goo was created by the Jockeys and not just discovered somewhere just like the humans discovered it, and that the Jockeys don't come from the same goo that humans and Aliens come from. You know, the black goo being the actual primordial stew (since it's too thick to be a soup) from which all life that we would consider old and recent originated. Maybe not even native to this Universe, and predating even the Big Bang. Some sort of highly complex programming that someone made a very long time ago for an unknown purpose and has since brought on the rise and fall of hundreds, or thousands, or millions of civilizations. Much like the Reapers in Mass Effect, except with a much less shitty excuse for an ending.

Dronehive, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

I think that the deacon is based of xeno DNA, and that the xeno came first. The Engineers modified the xenomorph to create a weapon. After that failed, they used the original species as a last ditch effort to destroy humanity. I belive the "pure" xenomorph doesn't exist, as it requires host DNA to support its own. Without DNA, It would die. The closest thing would be a queen mother.

That's another thing, it probably wasn't the first Xenomorph-like creature, as evidenced by the shit load of wall sculptures that look like Xenos.

@bloo
There could hypothetically be unlimited amounts of xenolike species. Xenos just seem to be the ones we know about.

I am aware. Anyway, Imagine thousands among thousands of unknown xenolike creatures attacking you.

ThePredator13, Xenomorph, 11 years ago

It would be intresting to figure out what the species and sub species are especialy since those cravings show so many.