If you like AVP and want to see it again...see Prometheus! *SPOILERS*

Hooper-man22, Undefined, 11 years ago

From this blog I got linked to

"The plot similarities, both based on nut-case Eric Von Daniken’s “God is an Astronaut” theory, are excusable (AVP isn’t exactly the apex of its genre here) but the way in which it’s introduced – a lecture delivered to a group of hard-case experts, in a hanger of their vessel which is heading toward the point of interest – is identical. In both cases it’s absurd that these professionals would hop on a ship heading toward uninhabitable landscapes with no foreknowledge of what they were there for but in Prometheus we’re told they’ve been in Cryo for 2 years and they only get briefed when they reach their destination?
Oh and the reason they’ve spent a trillion dollars and relinquished two years of their lives? Some paintings…you prolly saw it in the trailer. There is literally no better reason given for their expedition . At least in AVP there was a fricking pyramid heating up in the Arctic to justify their adventure. Also, in AVP they had a heat-signature to locate their future tomb – in Prometheus the crew flies their star-bug down to the planet and just happens upon some Nazca lines and Alien-God jackpot about a minute after arriving. Pretty lucky. Other comparisons are slim but no less irritating including the “No guns; this is a sciencey trip?” “Whatever you say, lady” exchange between strong female expert and gruff worker character and having two of our underdeveloped fodder characters getting lost in the maze-like alien tomb. Oh and dying member of the Weyland family who bankrolls the venture, inadvisably tagging along only to be killed off by a gargantuan extraterrestrial."

Not to mention that the actor who played the SJ who kills Wayland also played the Predator who...kills Wayland!

You can read the full review here
http://fundividedattention.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/i-just-saw-prometheus/

daveberg, Undefined, 11 years ago

Just another hater who has very little imagination to piece together his own answers, but instead is frustrated that the film doesn't provide spoon fed revelations.

Probably went into it hoping it was an all out Xeno fest, and a straight up prequel to Alien, which, I might add, is where most of the poor reviews are coming from - people who were wishing this was a direct prequel to Alien.

Ridley said from the very first moment he was interviewed, that this film was NOT a prequel. Something that shared ties with Alien, yes, but NOT a film leading into nor divulging the events leading up to Alien.

PREDATORv2, Undefined, 11 years ago

"spoon fed revelations"

Exactly! Bastards like that are ruining this goddamn film and it isn't even out in the USA. Maybe you lads should stick to the Resident Evil franchise. Those movies seem to follow simple linear curve that is easy for simple minded people to understand.

the_doctor, Undefined, 11 years ago

Oh wow, the guy was smart enough to pick up plot points that were similar. I know when I was watching all I could think was "man this is exactly like AvP.. Exactly. I want my money back". Everyone on the internet is a critic.

Deathdrop, Undefined, 11 years ago

He's right that there are a lot of similarities in plot, but I think Roger Ebert said it best:

"It's not what a movie is about; it's HOW it is about it."

Yes, they're both based on Chariots of the Gods. The difference is, however you feel about the quality of the stories, there's no denying that Prometheus is much, much better made.

-Bloo-, Undefined, 11 years ago

"It's not what a movie is about; it's HOW it is about it."

Exactly, exactly, EXACTLY. I have been throwing this out since... well, shit, I don't even know anymore, it's been that long. People have an obscured opinion of originality and have put that idea up on a pedestal that has an imaginary height. These days, it's nearly impossible to be "original." It's ridiculous to throw that word around.

enyapneb, Undefined, 11 years ago

Wait for pt2 ;)

I'm sure the comparisons and views will come pouring in :D

Spacial_flux, Undefined, 11 years ago

In the alien universe "credits" and "money" are the motivators for any one doing anything, except weyland, who's motivated by survival, and keeping power over his empire. Why would his own daughter have her own self containing escape pod had this not been made abundantly clear. Expendibility of everyone to one's or corporations whim is a central theme. That you are alone and no one is going to take care of you. No amount of money is worth ones own life.

If you read the original alien screen play by Dan obannon, many of the things left out are in Promethius.
I wrote a 10 page analysis, of Prometheus, and even though the movie was 2hrs long to spell out Barney style all the meanings, parallels, and symbolism would have had you in a seat for another 30 minutes. There a few things that would have helped keep the movies momentum but over all, I thought it was a great movie.