Prometheus.

ash, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

So I thought I would google the word Prometheus and Wikipedia had this to say.

"In Greek mythology, Prometheus (Ancient Greek: Προμηθεύς, "Forethinker")[1] is a Titan, the son of Iapetus and Themis, and brother to Atlas, Epimetheus and Menoetius. He was a champion of mankind, known for his wily intelligence, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals.[2] Zeus then punished him for his crime by having him bound to a rock while a great eagle ate his liver every day only to have it grow back to be eaten again the next day. His myth has been treated by a number of ancient sources, in which Prometheus is credited with – or blamed for – playing a pivotal role in the early history of mankind. During the Greek War of Independence, Prometheus became a figure of hope and inspiration for Greek revolutionaries and their philhellene supporters."

After then looking at possible plot indicators it seems that they lead to the same thing. Basically humans go looking for the meaning of life (so to speak) and the Space Jockeys made humans, then the humans betray the Jockeys and unleashes there bio weapon (not a xeno) but then humans are responsible for Xeno's. It would kinda make sense as the stage of life the Xeno's have seem to be built perfectly to infect humans.

Plus in the trailer there is a chamber with that giant head thing. It also leads to me thinking that the Space Jockeys are like real Greek Gods lol.
What do you guys think?

daveberg, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

In a nutshell, there's still a strong corporate influence in this film - Weyland is still present and it wants whatever the Prometheus and the crew find - which inevitably ends up being DNA strands allegedly holding code to all life as we know it. The Jockeys see this as a human betrayal and end up unleashing something terrible on the crew, thus serving as punishment for 'Stealing the fire from the gods'

Right now, this is all heavy conjecture, as nobody really know what we're in store for.

It would definatly fit in with the Alien film as The Company knew about life on LV4-26 and was to contain the life form. Plus I reckon the warning beacon mentioned in Alien will be played in this film. ;)

Deathdrop, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I don't know how big a fan I am of the idea that the xenos were created directly as a result of something humans did, but maybe it'll surprise me.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Maybe not created, but released. I'm hoping we'll get to see something we had never even assumed about the Xenomorphs that will make them even more alien than before.

Yeah it could make the Xeno's less Alien if it's related to humans but I think it's inevitable that humans make influence to there creation...

Oh I found that IGN have done a review of the trailer (some bits are far fetched) but it does get a good indepth view of some imagery you may not have seen. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63MKd5dqRoo

"but released"

^ That sounds a lot better; almost supernatural.

-Bloo-, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I wouldn't mind the supernatural bit so much if they didn't turn out to be magical as well.

Biorex98, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I think that if Xenos are in the movie, they will look alot more "primative".

the_doctor, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I gotta say i do prefer the idea of them being released rather than created by humans actions. Kind like a pandora's box situation.

Iseijin, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I agree with the whole 'primitive' Alien view. If the Aliens we know are mostly spawns of human (or humanoid) hosts, and we know the Xenomorphs tend to take on the physical characteristic of their hosts, then there's a good chance we may see the original, unaltered look of the Alien.

shadowatching, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

Hmmmmm

"didn't turn out to be magical"

Christ, no. I was thinking more along the lines of a Lovecraftian "yes this is based on science but your puny primate brain is ill-equipped to comprehend it" kind of a thing. This way you could avoid the standard questions of how they grow so fast, how the acid blood works, etc.

The question to all of those things becomes "because primates don't know shit," which is more in line with the tone of Alien.

Your response was one I didn't anticipate, but fully approve of. I completely agree with the whole Lovecraft thing.

For some reason, the magical thing was the only way I was looking at this.

The SF blog io9 has a short article on the Space Jockeys if anyone's interested:

http://io9.com/5879560/everything-we-know-about-ridley-scotts-space-jockeys

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

I hope you're not suggesting that Aliens are Zalgo.

This could work too DD, I like the idea that they could quite easily not tell us anything about the Xeno's origins in depth and focus more on the why, when, how, where these Space Jockeys come from. I read that link you posted and it does point fingers that the suit is biomechanic. But maybe it was a suit made so it's bioweapon couldn't harm them? Then humans came, something with DNA, changes the weapons into a Xeno, then bamn chestbursted Space Jockey.

I also think that those egg canisters in the trailer and that synthetic that pulls that thing out of is the same thing, I also think that it's the weapons of the Space Jockeys.

daveberg, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

The canisters you mention are being described as 'ampules' by Ridley Scott, and supposedly contain DNA samples/genetic coding of all walks of life.

From the trailer it clearly looks like the android 'David', is taking something from one of them, whatever it is, i'm thinking he's not meant to have it - which is where the wrath of the 'gods' begins....

I'm still wondering about movie misdirection though, Ridley says it's not a prequel - then the trailer leaks and he has to spill the beans and admit the film IS a prequel - is he doing the same thing by saying there are no Xenomorphs featured in this film?

Probably not as we know them (human aliens, dog aliens, etc.) - in this case we'd probably see the original, primitive form, as many have already said. I'm interested to see whether or not Scott decides to keep in line with what James Cameron has established and have a Queen or Empress be the original form.

Mebber, Xenomorph, 12 years ago

So what kind of guy is this David, and what's his motivations- is he acting on behest of the company, or is he following his own motivation? I really wonder what his character will be like, he seems to be a pivotal point for the story.

Ash was eager for knowledge but also quite mad and emotionally instable, although he could hide it quite good. Bishop said his instability was common about earlier android models, so David would be probably a weird guy too.

Now that's a purely speculative and half-baked thought, but...

The androids are highly intelligent, but they were created by humans, who are actually inferior. But they have to serve them, because that's the only "purpose" they know- they don't have any family, no real place in society, they don't know how to handle their emotions... sounds like a good base for a real weird identity crisis for me. Maybe that could be connected to this David-steals-from-the-jockeys-thing, if it's actually true at all. Like the this android David is uncertain about the nature of life (well, who isn't), or his purpose and place in it, and so he's trying to steal the "answer" from the jockeys.

Humans played god by creating intelligent life on their own, the androids. Sometimes after, humans stumble across the jockeys, who are creators too, but on a much more advanced level- and then, humans own creation brings doom on us by stealing the secret of life from the jockeys, thus somehow "releasing" the xenomorph threat and punishing the humans for their own hubris.

Anyway, however the story will be like, i hope humans will be displayed as insignificant. By that i mean no Van-Daniken like stuff. I really don't like that idea, it's boosting the importance of humans. I prefer the idea of the humans beeing a stupid, short-living race who stumbles across something far greater by accident- in line with this "humans-don't-know-shit"-thought.

^ Amen to that last bit. No special destiny, no secret societies, no battle for the universe. People see some shit they weren't supposed to see, and bad things happen.