Your favorite unused concepts?

Deathdrop, Yautja, 12 years ago

There have been 4 Alien films (with a 5th on the way), 3 Pred films, and 2 AvP films.

On the way from development to the screen, a lot of stuff gets left on the cutting room floor, be it earlier drafts of the script, unused concept art, location changes, etc.

AvP was in development hell for years, Predators was substantially rewritten, and Alien 3 was a fiasco pretty much the whole way through. That's just scratching the surface.

What are some dropped ideas you think could have been cool/interesting/fun to see?

No love for the wooden planet of monks?

concretehunter, Yautja, 12 years ago

I think Predators somehow inpregnating a human would be cool.

^ I don't ever remember that being planned for any of the movies.

concretehunter, Yautja, 12 years ago

Oh right, Pardon i thought we had to come up with concepts. I dont know any thrown out concepts!

DarkLioness, Yautja, 12 years ago

^I'm ok with the idea of a human/Predator hybrid. Just by other means and not the one you probably have in mind.

Guys, please read the first post of this thread. The idea is to mention ideas that were considered by the film-makers but ended up dropped.

DarkLioness, Yautja, 12 years ago

^Ok just read the first post again.

Thank GOD they dropped that idea! If they kept that idea I had to sneak and watch the Predtor/AVP films. I already have to sneak and watch some slasher films.

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 12 years ago

Anyways;

In the first predator movie, Dutch was suppost to stumble upon the predator's ship and carry out a one on one battle much like what happened at the end of the second movie, however mainly because of John McTiernan, this alternate ending was left out.

I've always wondered if the lack of this ending might of hurt or helped Predator's success.

IceNeko, Yautja, 12 years ago

I think it might have helped maybe. If they had done it twice it might have hurt but maybe not. In the second one they had a ship full of Predators.

-Bloo-, Yautja, 12 years ago

I know I've mentioned this before (several times in fact, which may make some of you think I have a hard-on for this one -- different time and place for that story), but I really would have liked to see a chicken-shaped burster at some point in one of the movies.

There's something unsettling about a fat little squirmy meat bag rolling around on the floors toward you with its mouth wide open as if it wants to eat your eyes or liver or something.

And then growing up to tongue you instead.

Gaunt, Yautja, 12 years ago

"There's something unsettling about a fat little squirmy meat bag rolling around on the floors toward you with its mouth wide open as if it wants to eat your eyes or liver or something."

AHEM!! *cough*

I laughed when I heard about Gigers original chestburster design, it would of been funnier if the space chicken chestburster made it into the film, but then the fearsome atomosphere of the film may have disapated. With laughter.

Either that or it becomes the most horrid Xeno of all time.

Well at least they didn't give the Xenomorphs huge deathdicks, as shown in Gigers concept designs (or something like that).

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 12 years ago

For some reason that reminds me of the creature in the, The Thing remake. What about Ron Cobb's original alien idea; two legged creature with a squarish body and huge eyes?

daveberg, Yautja, 12 years ago

I'm Still waiting on Fox releasing the 'Hell's garden' scene which was an early concept in Alien Resurrection and actually made it to film, although was disregarded to the cutting room floor.

^ That was actually filmed? I was under the impression that it never made it that far.

daveberg, Yautja, 12 years ago

Apparently they did indeed film it, DD. I used to have a still from the scene too, but can't for the life of me find it!

Huh. That one didn't even make it to the novelization. Shame, it would have been something to see (much like the "wooden planet" version of Alien 3).

-Bloo-, Yautja, 12 years ago

I didn't even realize there was a novelization, but then I remembered money!

Whether or not Hell's Garden would have improved the movie, I don't know enough to tell. Is the script for the scene available anywhere?