Multiple Off-Topic Threads

Deathdrop, Yautja, 13 years ago

Would anyone be terribly opposed to off-topic threads that concentrate on specific forms of media? Movies, games, music, etc?

The Off-Topic thread is mostly randomness, and it gets very chaotic very quickly. That's fine, but it makes concentrating on any one topic nearly impossible.

BloodHarpy, Yautja, 13 years ago

^Agreed.

Lucifer, Yautja, 13 years ago

naaaaaa otherwise ya will just turn into a lot of off topic threads and nuthing else... so might as well just be a normal website with forms

concretehunter, Yautja, 13 years ago

I personaly think we need a seperate Offtopic bourd.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 13 years ago

Shut up Deathdrop, this isn't 4chan. One off-topic thread is enough. LOCK THE OTHERS AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE!!!

Shadowwall, Yautja, 13 years ago

one topic wich is very chaotic is enough, unless you want chaos to take over.

We have introduce yourself and stuff but that isn't used much. perhaps make an off-topic for that that will be used.

shadowwall stfu the adults are talking

^ Don't try to start a fight.

@SHadowall: As I've already explained, these would not be "random" threads like in the Off-topic thread. They would have specific topics (movie thread, music thread, etc.) rather than having everyone talk nonsense.

not really trying to start a fight :( what he had down befor he edited it was just dumb...

Mebber, Yautja, 13 years ago

I think multiple OT threads are a good idea. Much potential for more activity. New members could be motivated to post something without spamming, and if they're posting it is more likely that they will become lasting active members of the site, which could be of benefit for the avp-related topics as well. But i agree with concretehunter, if we really start a bunch of new off-topic threads we could need a special board for them, otherwise the avp-related topics would go under easily.

@ Lucifer: Fair enough.

@Meber: I agree. Maybe it could be like a clan room, except that everyone is able to get in? I don't know how that would work, being that I'm computer-retarded, but...

Yeah i think their should be a offtopic board. Offcourse you would need peeople to moderate it and have some rules. I think it would need to be gradual. Ofcourse it would bring more people to the site.

Maybe a workaround...

What's about the RPGs? They can be set to be free for all. Every member would be allowed to post in it. we could make a pinned OT threads with a description and link to it.

To much of a cluster fuck, Ither a new board or it wont work. As for the RPG.

Listen here noob RPG's have a thing called "Public" or "Private" in public anyone can post!

That's why i called it a workaround, smartass.

"Listen here noob RPG's have a thing called "Public" or "Private" in public anyone can post!"

And that's what we're searching for, aren't we? In a public RPG, even guests (but still members if the site) can reply to existing threads, but not create new ones. So we could set up a few specialized threads without worrying about any jerks opening new junkthreads.

But if someone could create a whole new board, that would be perfect of course.

Yes but we would need more moderators than we have members!

Wtf guise, stop fighting about shit like this, i thought that was my job. Anyway, i think an off-topic board would be a very bad idea. Because then, everyone would be there and no one would pay attention to the main board anymore. I think that it's good as it is now, it's not like the quality of the posts will ever improve. And if someone wants to talk about something in the off-topic thread, they will, i know Deathdrop will try to distract them with stories about flying penises that rain sorrow unto the unworthy, but if people actually want to talk about something, they will.

We could promote a few members to RPG-mods with power over the off-topic area if that would become really necessary.

Anyway, DW could be right. There is a chance the main board will be abandoned. But it would remain the only place to create new threads, and if we specialize the off-topic threads we maybe avoid simple chatter. And since people who find and frequent this site are usually interested in avp, i don't think they'd forget to check the main avp board for something new. But we can't be sure without trying, and if we really feel the OT area overshadow the main board we can still close it.

Another thing that could happen is would be everyone being too lazy to make a few extra clicks to the off-topic threads and the overall post number of the site would decrease dramatically. We're not doing very well as we are either.

Well i guess first we need to EXPLAND as not everyone loves AVP as much as we do. A off topic thread could help get more flow. But again it could kill the main board. We need some way to involve the user more with the website to give them more of a sence of purpose than a Q&a

Maybe it could be a similar format to a clan room, where you actually have to post for a while on the main board in order to gain access?