"PREDATORS" Discussion

Deathdrop, Yautja, 13 years ago

Discuss the movie.

For example, what was that ship Cowboy Curtis was in? Who made it?

Why did the lead BSP look the way he did?

What was the deal with the bugs crawling out of that creature they accidentally shot?

Why was all the vegetation on the planet from Earth?

Is this new method of hunting (swiping people off their homeworlds and dropping them on to a private planet) because it's become too difficult to remain undiscovered on Earth?

Seriously, let's discuss the shit out of this thing.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 13 years ago

Well, i don't think this method is new. The creature they shot is probably proof that they've been doing this to other species too. And i think the bugs were crawling and into the creature's corpse, not out of it.

As for the rest of what you asked, the version of the movie i saw right now was too bad quality to be able to understand too well, so i'll only be able to speculate on those later on...

Battlemage, Yautja, 13 years ago

i burst out laughing when the credits music started to play...LOL soooo unexpected

Oh, about the plants being from Earth... I like to think that they purposely made the environment that way, to give the humans a chance to fight back. Also, was it just me, or was this "planet" one of Saturn's moons?

^ That never occured to me, but it has interesting implications for future sequels if they're that close.

Also, I liked the implication that most of the governments know this is going on, but let it because there's really nothing they can do about it.

Mebber, Yautja, 13 years ago

The large drilling machine Nolan used as a hideout looked somehow human to me, not alien. And i think it was one of Saturns' moons too. My theory: this planet, or this moon, was originally some kind of human mining colony and they terraformed it themselves. Could explain the plants from earth. Someday, the Predators came and kicked there butt off the planet. Seemed for me like the whole movie played in the near future, 2050 or so, when mankind had begun the commercial exploitation of the other planets of the sol system. But of course the terraforming process was way too far advanced for a species just started space mining... nahh i don't know.

When the classic predator activated his wrist bracer, he didn't searched very long for earth, in fact i think all he had to do was to highlight one of the planets already displayed by the wrist bracer. Why the hell should a predators' wrist bracer show a map of the sol system in case the predator isn't in the sol system right now?

I think there are many hints indicating that the planet was in our system...

^ The big problem with that theory is that if humans had been there, they would be well aware of Predator activity. The preds seem big on secrecy, so it seems unlikely they'd so obviously announce their presence.

Mebber, Yautja, 13 years ago

I think you've somehow answered that question already by yourself:

"...but let it because there's really nothing they can do about it."

I don't think the preds are that much focused on secrecy. Sure, they like to keep their secrets, but i don't think they give a fuck if anyone knows about their existence generally. As long as some human dirtbags don't get their hands on some pieces of their equipment, an event which would make them propably very angry, why should they bother? To protect our society from the shocking perception that we humans aren't alone in the universe?
I don't know... i think the yautja doesen't care about us that much. They stay stealthy on their hunt, but in general? We're just stupid humans, apes stuck on one single rock in the galaxy.

So they take this planet from the humans, and the humans can't do shit about it... they're just no danger on a large scale. If the Yautja want to have a small little "summer residence" for hunting in our own backyard, they'll just take it.

You're right, that would have been noticed by human goverments for sure.
By the way, i was surprised a israeli agent knew about the preds anyway... i mean, the story of a single "strange contact" by an us specforce squad finds its way to a foreign agent who isn't involved in any kind in a possible investigation about this incident? Either the CIA is very bad in keeping secrets, or there is some serious rumour going on about preds, and that doesen't sounds like a "single, non-confirmed contact" for me.
Nah, that's a really bad explanation, haven't slept for twentyfive hours and my concentration is dropping... but i hope you understand what i'm trying to say.

I'll even go one step further... maybe the human goverments don't just know about the pred's existence, maybe they're even supporting them, presenting worthy prey, or they're just not interfering with their "prey extractions"... not to be friends with them, of course not, but what's the alternative? So imagine the preds wouldn't have their own little hunting ground on some abandoned moon, what would they do to hunt funny little humans? Probably they would increase their hunting activity on earth. Not good. And the humans still couldn't do anything against it.

I know, this kind of speculation doesen't have any solid basement, but they're speculations, nothing more...

^ Good point. Some of the comics (non-canon, but still notable) support that. The Preds want Dutch's brother, so the government tries to capture him and deliver him to them to avoid the massive casualties that would be caused if the Preds had to come looking.

The really horrible thing is that it actually is for the best. It's one of those "kill 1 to save 1000" deals.

My issue with them being so open (and I'll admit it's just MY personal issue) is that stealth has always defined them for me.

I don't think they would be so open, really... I don't know what kind of damage their ships could withstand, but a Tsar Bomba would surely do some damage and it was only a 50 megaton bomb, when it was originally supposed to be a 100 megaton bomb. So i don't know, i'm guessing there's a reason why, on earth, they only attack solo and land their ships underground, in stead of on the lawn of the white house.

Waralien, Yautja, 13 years ago

Heres my idea, the reason for all the plant life there is just to fool the humans into thinking theyre on some lost island on earth. Would have worked too if they didn't look up at the sky or tried finding true north. I guess it worked on earlier humans who didn't have the advanced training, tech, or knowledge we posses today.

As for the planet being one of Saturn's moons, that may have been a mistake on the director's part, or we could have been fooled into thinking that Saturn's moons are inhabitable.

As for that drill, well I could say the Space Jockies, we don't know how far their influence could have been, maybe the Predators stumbled upon the planet much like they did on the aliens. Another by-product of the Jockies advanced technology. But this is just my speculation on that idea.

As for secrecy, who knows? They have their ups and downs when it came to remaining secret.

The drill didn't look very Jockey-ish to me, but who knows?

Exactly, we remember the bio-mechanical looks of their tech. We don't know what their tech looked like in the past.

"Heres my idea, the reason for all the plant life there is just to fool the humans into thinking theyre on some lost island on earth. Would have worked too if they didn't look up at the sky or tried finding true north. I guess it worked on earlier humans who didn't have the advanced training, tech, or knowledge we posses today."

Dude. Seriously. You don't need any tech to notice that there are three huge fucking planets in the sky. People have been using the skies for orientation since before history. So that's as good an idea as the predators teaching humans how to build, because LOL HOW DO I PLACE BRICK ON BRICK TO MAKE WALL???

"As for the planet being one of Saturn's moons, that may have been a mistake on the director's part, or we could have been fooled into thinking that Saturn's moons are inhabitable."

facepalm.jpg

"Space Jockies"

Wrong franchise...

Technically, Predators have run into the Jockies. Remember Predator 2? Look you can argue that idea but again, we don't know. We'll just have to wait till the dvd comes out.

Tam, Yautja, 13 years ago

All previous questions aside...
for anyone that has already seen the film can anyone identify the pred that lasts the longest, his mask has an animals jawbone atached to the bottom of the mask.
anyone help?
race? breed? rank?

From what I read, he's called the Beserker Pred. Namely the way he attacks his enemys. The one with the tusks is called the Tracker or Tracer Pred due to his handle with the dog-alien creatures. The last was called the Falcon Pred cuz he was in control of the falcon drone

LadyDeathDealer, Yautja, 13 years ago

I remember reading that on Xenpedia or something.