Assumptions, Arguemnets, & Opinions (Predator Related)

Hunter_Predator, Yautja, 14 years ago

I know there's probably been a topic about this before, but why do many people assume that Predators are a Hunting race? I considder any and all movies to be canon, so watching AvP-R we saw a Predator homeworld and/or a predator ruled planet. There seemed to be civilization there and as I said in a post earlier that I believe that Wolf was in charge of that clan's Xenomorph research or containment department and since he was in charge, when the predalien killed the pred ship that we saw a predator studying a facehuger on, maybe it was his responsibility to clean up the mess caused by his failed team. He seemed pretty important having a throne, a ton of helmets and what not. But we assume all Predators are hunters, did we ever stop to think maybe the hunters are just the only ones we ever see because the rest stay home or maybe are soldiers fighting wars, or perhaps stay on the ship and planets?

I know this is already a highly debated topic but I'm starting this thread for any and all to express and/or argue their points of view.

We humans have soldiers, police, hunters, scientists, entertainers, home-livers, why must Yautja be limited to one? Do they assume we are all soldiers? No.

So use this topic to express, discuss, and argue the point of whether or not Preds are a Hunter-only race, or if they have other things.

My arguement, they have other things out there, we just only see the hunters. And I doubt they all wear the same hunting armor that we're used to, I want to say that the three Preds in AvP werent hunters, they seemed more like soldiers. They had pretty heavy armor and some serious weaponry. (Choppers large Gauntlet Blades as well as all three had huge wristblades). And we all agree that AvP was more action than horror, the preds were never really stealthy except Scar that one time with the combistick and at the very beginning they were cloaked but even then they mostly just walked up and killed them head on, other that like Celtic just fired his net-gun at the black guy and walked up knocking the others away to the side and killed the guy, then faught an alien head on, Chopper kicked Lex and took her from the front (no perversion neccessary), and Scar just walked straight toward Weyland, Lex, and Sabastian on the stairs, also the Plasma Casters were large and powerful, good for a straight on firefight and or war, not hunting. And again, their armor was so bulky, heavy, and thick. They werent hunters, they were definetly SOLDIERS. Thats my opinion, there are other types, and the three Preds in AvP 1 were Soldiers, NOT Hunters.

Shadowwall, Yautja, 14 years ago

Indd this would also explain the hounds in the upcoming movie,(not explain but clear up a bit)

But I still think the preds are a warrior race they may have some predators not working but i think there working like scientist. Also the the predators in AVP just were uncloaked because there opponents were humans wich they clearly see as puny. Although in some occasions they use their stealth to kill the humans when the humans have better firepower and numbers like in predator 1 in the jungle with schwarzenegger.

But still this could be only the surface view of an entire empire.

cleticyautja, Yautja, 14 years ago

the preds in avp werent hunter or even soldiers,because something wears a ton of armour or has serious weaponary dosent make them soldiers.

unless they show soldier preds in the predators film then we could only guess what predator soldiers are like.

I see your point but why do you think the preds in AvP 1 werent soldier. I know SUPPOSEDLY they were "teens" still trying to prove themselves, but how do we know Sabastians assumption was right, and I know they were supposedly inexperienced which could explain the head-on fighting, but if they are still learning then knowing how strict preds supposedly are they would have been spending more time practicing the stealth. But why do you not think they could have been soldiers?

Im not disagreeing with you they could be soldiers.
But that seems *unlikely* (don't know how to spell :D)

cleticyautja, Yautja, 14 years ago

the preds in predator 1 and 2 and in avp-r are much more experienced in stealth .these preds are young so they are quite reckless.also remember soldiers need to be stealthy.

reckless dose not mean its a soldier.

TribalWerewolf9, Yautja, 14 years ago

I agree with ya Hunter_Predator, the preds in AVP1 were more then likely soldiers because that one, wierd, scientist, guy, said that ancient warriors marked themselves with the blood of their enemies. I also kinda think that the preds we saw in AVP1 were like the 'Squires' of medieval Europe, and the predator in AVPR was the 'knight', of predator culture, i bet he was put in charge of that planet. Tat's my opinion anyway.

I have to admit that I agree with the idea that they are merely inexperienced, that explains the head-on attacks and recklessness, they are young and not that experienced. However there are points in the movie that indicate them to be wattiors instead of hunters. Maybe not specifically "Soldiers" but at least more Warrior instead of Hunter. Inexperienced yes maybe, I agree with that and definetly considder it, but I still stand by my opinion of them not being exactly hunters but more so Warriors.

ValkyrieWrath, Yautja, 14 years ago

Out of the group of predators in AVP1 i read that Celtic was supposed to be like the leader or alpha male Scar was like second in coomand and Chopper was supposed to be omega or something I guess.

Mebber, Yautja, 14 years ago

Soldiers fight because it is their job.

If the three really were soldiers, i dont think their commanders would have send them down to the planet without their entire equipment- remember, they had to gain their weapons (inside of a infected building). Military efficiency is the key word. It's not very efficient to send soldiers to a mission without their main armory... Hunters use their melee weapons because of the higher ammount of earned honor, but why should soldiers do that? The difference between a soldier and a hunter is, among other things, their motivation. Soldiers just want to complete a given task successful.

I also can't see any reason why a SOLDIER would take off his helmet to mark himself (in a very dangerous area). That sounds more like a ceremony for me.

But i agree yautja are surely not a race entirely consisting of hunters. Just look at the logistic and administrative tasks every society have. Someone has to do the "dirty jobs", even if we assume they have a mostly automated industry by using robotics or whatever. But the lists of tasks that has to be done continuous within a empire is just endless...

But Yautja are mainly hunters. That's the heart of their society. Why? Well i just believe thats the inventor's idea behind the preds: a big bad alienhunter-race we're only pray for.

Excactly. We and possibly many other civilitations will just be the prey to these Predators. Although the Alien are coming closer to becoming a treat to them MUHAHAHAH!!!

anyway cheers wazaaa

Mebber, Yautja, 14 years ago

Jepp the xenos are their favorite prey... i think we humans are only somekind of, hm, avocation, because it's a bit boring to hunt the same prey all the time... :-)

predatoress, Yautja, 14 years ago

First of all, I consider it as a sacrilege if anyone refer pred 1 and 2 as teenagers, since as far as you look at the movies, the predators in AvP were bunch of rookies.

Second, I agree with Mebber on the theory of yautjas having workers etc, but their entire culture is based on the - somewhat sacred - hunt with hunter's ethics. Adding to this hunt is considered as sport and leisure to them. Warriors would act differently to defend their society rather than just go out and kill worthy prey. You clearly see they enjoy their supreme hunt rather than it would be their duty.

TribalWerewolf9, Yautja, 14 years ago

true. maybe they were just apprentices?

Azreal_Antares, Yautja, 13 years ago

I know this is a little late to reply here but honestly, has any one here followed the comix or the books at all?

PREDATORv2, Yautja, 13 years ago

I've heard from DD that the newest avp comics are pretty crappy. Same about the newest books. I dunno, honestly I haven't kept up with the recent avp literature.

On the predator universe front however I am very pleased, with the release of predators...good movie. The movie comic wasn't half bad either.

And just to point out the fact that we don't really have to assume that predator culture is mainly based around the hunt, the idea was bascially thrown at our faces. First movie, 1 pred hunting elite humans, second movie, 1 pred hunting less worthy but still dangerous humans. Even the avp movies it distinctly shows how the predator's culture and technology all center around the hunting of alien species!

Lucifer, Yautja, 13 years ago

Could be like native americans... The men hunt and exc... the lives of there culture was based on the hunt but thay also when not hunting helped at home Maybe preds do same? Hunt and when not hunting pick up on there other dutys " building, repairing armor, tech advancments exc..."

avp-extinction, Yautja, 13 years ago

predatorv2 yes they may have the predators hunting in all the movies but in avp they tell you that the reason they hunt xenomorphs is to prove their manhood

dying is nothing, hunting is everything

BloodHarpy, Yautja, 13 years ago

"Out of the group of predators in AVP1 i read that Celtic was supposed to be like the leader or alpha male Scar was like second in coomand and Chopper was supposed to be omega or something I guess."

Actually I found out that Chopper was second in command.