Individual Review Thread (AVPR)

killswitch, Xenomorph, 15 years ago

This is an INDIVIDUAL review thread, it is simply a place to post your overview of the movie (AVPR).

This will act as a database (as it were).

Theres no Need to comment on anyones reviews, if you have any issues or queries about a review, just make a threat with reference to this.

Thanks! Please repect everyones rite to an opinion on the production in question NO ONE is wrong!!!!!

Killswitch Review.

The Next Big Thing = Killswitch

A "The Next Best Thing" Quick Review
Aliens vs predator : Requiem

Overview
Aliens and Predators meet again in another epic battle for supremacy. The eighth instalment regarding either of the much loved alien races.

Whats rite with it?
Though in several instances the scenes are too dark for you too actually make out which creature is doing what to who, the battle scenes do seem well done and there shot in an explosive manner to capture the audiences attention. The CGI aliens look even more authentic than the original pairing (Alien vs Predator) and the sound effects have been cleverly recaptured from the original movies including the themes to both.

Whats Wrong with it?
Complaints from the first movie suggested we got to much character development and not enough action, Greg and Collin Straus have tried to counter that problem by adding much more action than the first gifted us, problem is, now the cast sucks with everything seeming rushed and wafer thin, having such a large cast doesn’t help this problem either.

For the die hard fans who actually give a damn who wins, the alien half will not be impressed. The Predator character the wolf is the only predator in the whole movie. which leaves us all aware of the fact that the final show down is being reserved for the Predator vs Predalien showdown meaning every Alien vs predator fight prior to that is a forgone conclusion taking away from the tension the fans may be feeling as regards who might actually win the individual tusses. Without getting into to much detail about nitty gritty moments during the fight scenes, fans will simply get the feeling the writer has no knowledge of either franchise and the directors have robbed the alien franchise in particular of perks for example one predator grappling two aliens by the neck and surviving is an implausibility.

There are also a selection of laughable moments which just seem out of tune in a horror move, which actually leaves you asking yourself is this even a horror movie, maybe action .. maybe comedy or just a horrible movie. The reuse of the legendary phrase "Get to the chopper" and the unlikable cast who have irritatingly obvious similarities to the lead rolls of both originals Ripley and Dutch compile with stupid moments like the predator shoulder cannon being converted into a pump action shotgun to make the movie an awkward and extremely hammy watch. Sort of like the feeling you get when your little brothers watching Power Rangers and your in the same room half paying attention.

Verdict

Popcorn Rating 2/5

Sorry not even worth a watch, the vast majority wont care to watch a movie that is glaringly missing a plot and the diehards will feel short changed. The result of a drawn out franchise spinoff produced by two overweight special effects guys with big plans, many promises and little knowledge of what it take to direct a good movie. Oh and how dare they change any of the characteristics that made are beloved franchises so perfect nearly 30 years ago.

Please feel free to rate the review and dissagree if you wish, i look foward to hearing your opinions on the review and more importantly the movie itself.

Ceeya Guys

The-Wolf, Xenomorph, 15 years ago

I loved Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. I thought it made up for the first Alien vs. Predator. The darkness probably can easily be solved... tune up the brightness on the tv and the movie looks amazing! Thats simple. Actually I just watched it today like that and it looks great. So I am a huge Predator fan and this movie delivered to the Predator fans. I could see why the Aliens fans could feel a bit cheated but they get a greatly designed ridge head Aliens and their elephant/peacock screetch aswell as the Predator gets their deisgns and sound effects back. Being an Alien fan for me was a bonus. I do feel the film wasn't totally unfair. The town gets overrun by the Aliens and the Predalien slaughters several Predators aboard the small clan ship in the beginning. Having one Predator in the majority was the right way. I don't like the group hunts like in AvP. The Predator movies had a single Predator and thats the way it should be done. The Aliens had numbers since Aliens and many of them died alot. Whats the big deal here? Once again, the Aliens take down the majority of the town and several Predators in the beginning.. The Predator gets a few people and several Aliens.. That leaves the final showdown to show that these creatures are greatly equal.

This wasn't a Predator nor an Alien movie so its not gonna follow the formula. Its an vs. movie! So the Predator is not hunting people down till a bloody end like the Predator movies but on the other hands, the Aliens are doing what they usually do - spread, kill and get killed. This Predator came to clean up but basically just runs head first into a great battle. Thats the purpose of the movie.

I do think the acting wasn't the best but I even enjoyed it for the most part and enjoyed several characters. The human characters just helped to excell the drama in the movie. All I can say is I enjoyed the people, it wasn't bad and they weren't the main focuss, they were just the people who always do what they do in horror movies which is survive. The main thing here was the fighting between these great creatures we love and thats what the movie delivered.

This movie brought back the gore factor from the movies these creatures came from unlike the previous PG-13 rated AvP. There are some intended funny scenes and there are some ghastly scenes. Nothing really on the edge of your seat, when it comes to the outside Alien and Predator action.

I dig the setting.. I definitly wouldn't for a Predator stand alone unless the plot was a bit differant (maby involving the nationalgaurd hmmmm) but really dug the sitting because you got the Aliens trying to nest in the sewers and all the nasty places and meanwhile the Predators running through the woods and around the outskirts of the town till the Aliens break lose into the town creating the hive in the hostbital.. probably the best place I will add, especially once the power is knocked out since the Power Station battles.

Special effects were great aswell as the music score and sound effects. There wasn't too much cgi to ruin the movie. The effects were fine. Even though I dream for an AvP film with the actual classic scores from the original Alien and Predator films, the mocking score from AvP:R did fine for me. I also couldn't get enough of the throwbacks, references, and homages etc! They were great to remind you of the classics.

I'm so impressed what the brothers did with the creatures. Bringing them back to the classics but still keeping them fresh and new. The Aliens looked as awesome as they did in Aliens with the ridge head design but the slickier fresh bodies. I adored the Wolf, he was just awesome. He needed the weapons because well you know what he's dealing with. The design was back to original but fresh new gear. I couldn't get enough of the beastly facial design of the Predator and his own individual roar rather than stealing the original's roar. Don't get me wrong I do love the original but I think these creatures deserve their own personalization other wise its the same thing from each movie which sets them different to the Xenormorphes.. well the AvP Predators needed but it still didn't save them. I also adored the Predalien. It was a beast in every way. How big it got and how creepy it was with its clicking mandibles in your hears before it head bit you or stuffed Aliens in you. I wasn't all for the Queen idea untill I found out it was just a warrior Alien, or for this case, a warrior Predalien which happens, under circumstances, to grow into a Queen. I got over it and began to enjoy it especially seeing the bad ass thing crawling out of the sewers with it Alien3-tail/dreads. I'll stop myself, I just enjoyed it but I wouldn't mind seeing other variations in future AvP films.

Believe it or not, I know Alien fans, such as myself that enjoyed the movie as much as I did. I don't see anything wrong with it. It did what it intended to and gave us the classic idea of Aliens and Predators brawling. I'm now satisfied when it comes to an Alien vs. Predator film but I would not mind another at all... as long as they got it right like this film.

I serious rate it a 5/5.. There's nothing I have to complain about.

Waralien, Xenomorph, 15 years ago

Im a big fan of this newest installment but there were many problems to mention. The action, animation, and story was good, but as Killswitch brought up, the story sucks due to the many characters.

I guess I'll mention the good parts. In the unrated version, there are many questions answered like the Pred ship in the beginning. Many thought it was the original, but it was actually a scout ship sent from the main ship.(Sorry if I spoiled anything). Anyway the Aliens seemed far more realistic, the Pred's weapons, and skills beyond standard. I watched the commentators and they answered some questions and reveiled much to the story line that helped me understand it better.

Problems. As many know from watching, the Predalien's ability came as a shock to many. This was something that I really didn't like. The commentary stated that the Predalien took more than just features. It took some traits of the preds. SPOILER ALERT!!!!(Don't read if you do not want a scene ruined) In the scene with the Wolf inside the crashed ship. Just as he's preparing to hunt down the aliens, when he's just about to leave, if you look closely in the background, you can see skinned preds hanging. The directors said that the Predalien took on some habits of the preds. This was a major turn off for me. Another was the fact that the Wolf never seemed to be affected by the aliens acid. Even when he and the Predalien were locked in combat, and blood from the Predalien splashed on him, he never was affected. Also when he goes down that elevator, he returns without a scratch.

Basically there's more I could go on but Im a fan at heart and only still like it because of the intense action scenes.

If I could I'd give it a 3/5. Good attributes like animation but problems that need to be fixed.

predatoress, Xenomorph, 15 years ago

Hmmh well I've pointed out my opinnion in other threads so I just say I agree with Kill in here. Can't be bothered even to watch the movie again, even as a predator fan I didn't enjoy the movie at all 'cos to me it seemed pretty mindless and effect orientated flick with bad characters. It's the characters what makes the movie believeable, not the great cg effects. Sure the creatures looked great, new weapons of the preds were well designed, but "the something" was missing.

I really do miss the sneaky, pressuring athmosphere form the original movies, where you don't know where the creatures lurk and when they hit, and what they'll do to poor humans. Now we just got the "bang-bang-bang" without any pressure, it gets numb in the end.