Do We Have To?

TITANOSAUR, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

I was kinda wondering, do we HAVE to consider the AvP movies as canon? cuz I kinda figured that sence we're the fans, why don't we consider whats Canon and whats not canon in the films.

just a Thought

the_doctor, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

if you personally dont want to consider them as cannon fine but generally they always will be....see in my mind Alien res shouldnt exist but it does and i have to accept that its in the cannon

thats bsicly what I'm asking. do you count the AvP movies as canon? in your opinion.

Maverick98, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Well id rather that AVP R just didn’t happen it was pretty pathetic. Infect I would go so far as to say I like the new born better than the pred alien it looks daft they could have portrayed it so much better. Well in my opinion any way. So I don’t really consider AVP R as cannon although I’m positive the majority do.

the_doctor, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

yeah i do personally count them as cannon, i dont like avp that much but the fact is its there...and unfortunatly when in comes to cannon we have to accpet it because some people like it some dont....

02121992, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

i guess i would consider them canon.

The-Wolf, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Its all up to you. For me with certain franchises, I just block out a movie that I don't like. For example, in the Halloween franchise I dismiss Halloween6,7 and 8. Only I watch 7 as its own for it ignores all the sequels except part II. It will always be cannon but that doesn't stop you from dismissing the ones you hate.

No matter what, nothing will compare to the greatness of the classics. I personally love AvP-R and I just want to forget about the first AvP. I know without AvP there wouldn't be AvP-R but I have an imagination. :)

predator428, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Since directors like Scott and McTeirman created the universe, they have the right to change things in it as they see fit. Even though we enjoy the series, we have no control over what is considered reality in them. Although I do block some out like Wolf said.

Secret_Hero, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

For the question, my answer is: Yes, for me AVP is a cannon. Cause with it's spectacular plot in AVP than AVPR, the franchise is getting slowly famous, because of AVPR. If only Anderson was the one directing it and the producers are the Strause Brothers, then it will be no problem.

But totally, I'm a fan of this franchise. Even though I like the Preds than the Aliens, I still like all the AVP, Aliens, and Predator movies.

daveberg, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

Firstly - to 'the wolf'

If you ignore any films from the Halloween franchise that make no sense in the 'proper' timeline, it should be H4,5 & 6. - noene of them have anything to do with the true nature of John Carpenters original.

Halloween 7/H20 brought the frnachise back to it's proper storyline, with 8 following on from that.

As far as the AVP films go, despite the fact i think they are responsible for raping everything that was sacred about both Alien and predator franchise, i do class both of the movies to be Canon.

DeathWraith, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

If we didn't take AvP as cannon what the hell would we be doing on this site in the first place?

Blade_Monstrona, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

I say yes the movies are Canon in my opinion and yes even though i'd hate to admit it that means Alien Res too, damn that Newborn.

Back to Dave,

I understand but even though that is true, I still enjoy 4 & 5 over H20. I enjoy H20 but because it ignored those sequels I found it hard to get into plus I'm not a fan of how Michael performed in that movie. Its like he tried to copy Nick Castle in every scene. The reason, I think, Dick Warlock did so great was he didn't copy Nick Castle. He did it his own way but keeping the everything related on how he potrayed Michael. For some reason I just love Halloween 5. I like that big Michael.

Back on AvP. Since AvPR made up for it, the first AvP doesn't bother me being canon because I know everythings better in AvPR also that all the Predators look normal again. lol

daveberg, Xenomorph, 16 years ago

All i have to say is....Nick Castle is the definitive Myers in my eyes, i wish the later actors could've have portrayed Michael as good as that, that's why i loved H20 so much, to me, it carried on the true story straight from H2, and ignored all the Thorn rubbish - that storyline just made Michael a carbon copy of Jason in a way, a hulking, undead, cursed killer. Instead of him being a true enigma, having that part of the supernatural about him and wondering if he was always 'more' than human.

And yup, even the newborn is unfortunately cannon i'm afraid, you can't dismiss what happens in the main time frame of the alien movies as not official.

I don't think I mentioned anything about Alien: RES. I just asked about the AvP films.

One last thing Dave, the thorn thing is only confirmed in H6. Yeah its on him in part 5 but in that movie you basically guess the mystery of the marking and the strange man in the coat. (untill the dreadfull part 6) They really never confirmed what that stuff meant in part 5 so they could have a sequel. 4 and 5 were decent enjoyable sequels to me. I had my own theory for the thorn to make it more barable. I'll try you it anyways - (I liked to think that that cult, in part 6, only thought Michael was part of that celtic legend and the doctor tatooed the thorn on his wrist after part 2 but before part 4 when he was in the coma. What do you think?

---
Well you can always look at bad sequels as there own. It doesn't destroy the franchise. Just watch the ones before it and prentend the sequels won't happen. You might even find a way to enjoy the bad sequels when you learn that.. unless they are very bad. With AvP-r its amazing because it takes away the big dumb Predators and gives us the old Predators we wanted. I just like to prentend the AvP Predators were just a small dumb group of Predators within the race. lol

I myself choose to consider the AvP films as Canon. but in a diffrent universe of the franchise. (Like the 2ooo Godzilla series, though they are canon they are all in diffrent Universes)

Halloween 3 made no sence to me, cuz it didn't Fallow the original and future Halloween films. so I simply regard it as Uncanon.

Well the idea of HalloweenIII was to have a new Halloween story for each year. That was John Carpenter's approach. I do love Michael Myers alot but I admit it wasn't a bad idea at all. I thought the movie was a badass sci fi thriller. Alot of people hated it because Michael Myers wasn't in it. They completely missed the idea. Wether its cannon or not is up to your imagination. It very well could be in the same universe I mean The Shape (several shapes actually) was in there only not has Michael Myers.