Spelling

Deathdrop, Yautja, 16 years ago

First of all, I'm not a grammer nazi. My own spelling is far from perfect. However, lately I've been seeing posts like this:

"in dat movie wen da alen fited da pred"

People need to be able to read each other's posts if we're going to have any kind of discussion. Please try to use correct grammer and spelling. It doesn't need to be perfect, just readable.

It's fine if you don't know how to spell a word, but I think we all know that "that" is not spelled "D-A-T". I'm not singling anyone out here, and I'll ask that no body else points any fingers either.

Not everyone here speaks English as a first language, and we've had dyslexic people in the past. Just try your best, and you should be fine. K? (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

PredatorClan, Yautja, 16 years ago

same i got someone say this 2 me "av u sen aien v prad 1 blad" i had to read it twice to understand it

The-Wolf, Yautja, 16 years ago

Yes. Newer members need to check their spelling. I'm guilty of this too but I try to spell the best I can and I often edit my posts.

DeathWraith, Yautja, 16 years ago

ye liek somtimz its getz rly fuk'd up adn i leik cant rid wtf!!!!

Well, as long as we have people who are willing to take things for granted and not educate themselves instead, we'll have people who will not try to spell a word right as long as it's shorter when spelled wrong. Just like we have people who, no matter how much you tell them to, just won't read the rules, won't post in the Q&A topic, won't stop making topics about how to join a clan and how to get ranked up and what not... They won't listen to me when i tell them, they won't listen to Stalker when he tells them, will they listen to a whole topic? It's rather likely that they will ignore it. The best you can do is be sarcastic. I know sarcasm isn't a great to impress someone unless you can bitchslap that person while talking to him, but sarcasm is all i have, and i'm sorry for the people who occaionally get banned because they can't handle my sarcasm.

TITANOSAUR, Yautja, 16 years ago

lets not forget, most people refers "That" to "Dat" on perpose. most sees it as a great way to express there individuality and personality.

and on some sites, members spell words diffrently to simplify spelling and reading.

so not only spellin this way is used for communication on forums, but also to give a feel of individuality and personality.

ever notice that in most of my posts I type words that end with "ING" with "IN" (IE. Livin, Workin, Drawin) I do this to give my posts personality. also because of my Redneck heritage. I also tend to change the word "Video" to "Videa" again just to give m personal touch.

but I do agree, that sometimes typing like a guy who hasn't learned a pit of english, (though is bred and raised in the U.S.) leaves many posts nearly unreadable. my spellin is ok but sometimes I mess up. but I make sure my spellin is readable.

YO GAWG!

ScarredShadow, Yautja, 16 years ago

Agreed I am guilty of using words like gonna, u, ur, and stuff like that its not perfect grammar but this has become an issue around this site. I have been asked questions by new members and I had to ask them what they were trying to say because the spelling and grammar was terrible. So just to the other members try to spell and use grammar the best you can. I think everyone else here will appreciate it.

Spelling a word wrong on purpose does not express anything. It results in a misspelled word (who would have thought?)

If you know how to spell a word, spell it right. There are people here who do not speak English as a first language, which makes a post with no grammer or spelling nearly impossible to read for them.

There really shoudn't be any question about this. It's right there in the rules:

"When posting, please remember to keep your posts legible and check your spelling, undecipherable topic entries make it hard for other members to read and understand what you are explaining, please take this into consideration."

manfred, Yautja, 16 years ago

yes its true i dont speak english as my fhirst language thats the reason i cant spell right but i shall try my best to let you understand

You do a good job. Not perfect but I can understand what your saying.

Just try your best and you'll be fine.

TITANOSAUR, Yautja, 16 years ago

You know, I remember the otherday on another site somebody typed this...

"Yo Wood tit b cool if day adn a gam wit Alin adn Perd adn Master Cheef!"

I was like. WTH? it took me (and I looked at the clock) a whole hour to figure it all out. Then I just got off. I had a headach.

Lmao

My eyes heart. lol

killer95, Yautja, 16 years ago

lol what kinda site was that

but this topic hasnt anything whit avp to do

^It relates to this site.